Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The Sigma 70-200 HSM OS was an average lens. Currently Sigma only has one lens in its "SPORT" class and that is the 100-300. Sigma probably made a run of the 70-200 F/2.8 and since they have sold out of them and are planning on replacing the lens with a new high performance Sport version, they see no need in another production run for K-mount. Its a FF lens and until Pentax has a FF body, there will be very limited demand for it.

If Pentax does its part and releases products that sell well, 3rd party support will return.

08-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
But it seems like he was saying that in a way, it's good for Pentax if Sigma no longer sells competing lenses. I don't agree that would be good for Pentax, or for Pentax users. I personally would not have bought any Pentax cameras if there wasn't decent 3rd-party lens support. To stay healthy, Pentax needs to keep competing and innovating, to offer something that is more attractive than what the competition is offering.
I wonder if the availability (threat?) of Sigma competition does spur on P-Ricoh to produce new lenses.

From a realistic, but purely selfish, user's point of view,
I think a situation like we have with the new 2x standard high-end zooms is beneficial,
with the Sigma 18-35/1.8 offering good speed, and the DA 20-40 Ltd offering good rendering/bokeh.
Gives us consumers a choice.
08-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The long string of hypothetical questions left my head spinning, so that I was not completely sure what he was even saying. It was a painful post to read, and re-read, and re-read.

But it seems like he was saying that in a way, it's good for Pentax if Sigma no longer sells competing lenses. I don't agree that would be good for Pentax, or for Pentax users. I personally would not have bought any Pentax cameras if there wasn't decent 3rd-party lens support. To stay healthy, Pentax needs to keep competing and innovating, to offer something that is more attractive than what the competition is offering.
I'm sorry for having caused this effect, but maybe some short addition can help to solve that somehow.
I just wanted to point out that there might be a difference between what might be good from a consumer POV and what for a company's. I absolutely agree that the more choice in lenses the merrier it is for us, for the consumers.

But I also wanted to know if this also applies for a manufacturer like Ricoh, who sells cameras and, not least, lenses to people, who have all in all a limited budget and if they buy third party lenses they don't spend this for this brand. If the more choice the better would apply there would already be a unified mount for 35mm for Canisopentax...one would think. That a broader choice might influence camera sales is another story...

And agreed, Pentax needs to innovate, hava a unique selling point, SR in body, WR-sealing, diffraction correction and also appropriate lenses, who are optimized exactly for that, hardware- and softwarewise. Instead of "giving Sigma xxxk$" I would rather see them cater exactly this. If others additionally bring compatible products - even better.
addition: and if posters seem worried that the end of a lens from Sigma in K-mount (because it was not economic) and other small and unimportant tidbits could be a sign for the decline of the Pentax system, then I don't see this a helpful way of dealing with this, in filling the forum with really speculative FUD-threads, which in the end might give first time visitors a certain impression and work as a selfulfilling prophecy in the end...

Last edited by MMVIII; 08-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
08-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have the 70-200 Sigma and I like the lens, I use it quite a lot, and find that the focus is terrific for sports and action photography. My knocks against it are it's overall size and weight along with lack of weather sealing.

08-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I'm sorry for having caused this effect, but maybe some short addition can help to solve that somehow.
I just wanted to point out that there might be a difference between what might be good from a consumer POV and what for a company's. I absolutely agree that the more choice in lenses the merrier it is for us, for the consumers.
It's an interesting question. I think that in the short-term, Pentax could very well benefit from lack of competition from 3rd-party lens makers, since people who have already bought into the K-mount will be forced to go to Pentax for all their new lenses. But in the long term, lack of choice would probably hurt Pentax as people left the system and new customers declined due to less lens options.

I'm not going to waste time counting lenses, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Pentax is already far behind Canon and Nikon in total number of OEM/1st party lens models currently offered for sale. Further shrinking of lens options due to lack of support from Sigma and Tamron will only make the divide more stark.
08-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If the more choice the better would apply there would already be a unified mount for 35mm for Canisopentax...one would think.
To some extent, that was the situation with the M42 screwmount,
and with bayonets, an attempt was made with the K mount.
That a broader choice might influence camera sales is another story.
Perhaps the reason for the ultimate proliferation of distinct bayonet mounts?
08-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I have the 70-200 Sigma and I like the lens, I use it quite a lot, and find that the focus is terrific for sports and action photography. My knocks against it are it's overall size and weight along with lack of weather sealing.
Sigma offered the APS-C equivalent of the 70-200mm f/2.8 in the form of the 50-150mm f/2.8 to address the issue of the size and weight of the FF lens. The lens was indeed far smaller and lighter than a 70-200mm, and it had terrific image quality and AF performance. But for some reason that lens never seemed to catch on and was not a hot seller, and was discontinued in short order.

In a somewhat strange twist, Sigma recently came out with a new 50-150mm f/2.8 that is actually a little larger and/or heavier than some FF 70-200mm lenses. The main difference with this new 50-150mm is that it is stabilized. I don't know if stabilization is the only reason it is so much larger and heavier, but it is a dramatic difference. Anyway, I don't get the impression that this new 50-150mm is much of a seller either.

08-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Perhaps the reason for the ultimate proliferation of distinct bayonet mounts?
Perhaps having distinct mounts is not such a bad thing; perhaps it's what allows the camera manufacturers to protect their margins, and offer us superior products.
08-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #24
Pentaxian

-but the new Sigma 50-150 with OS isn't offer in K-mount. (Could be another reason is that the Pentax version of this lens is not a hot seller?)
08-17-2014, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
-but the new Sigma 50-150 with OS isn't offer in K-mount. (Could be another reason is that the Pentax version of this lens is not a hot seller?)
LOL. I meant in other mounts.
08-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The Sigma 70-200 HSM OS was an average lens. Currently Sigma only has one lens in its "SPORT" class and that is the 100-300. Sigma probably made a run of the 70-200 F/2.8 and since they have sold out of them and are planning on replacing the lens with a new high performance Sport version, they see no need in another production run for K-mount. Its a FF lens and until Pentax has a FF body, there will be very limited demand for it.

If Pentax does its part and releases products that sell well, 3rd party support will return.
Yes I suppose if you compare the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM with the latest and greatest from Sigma then the term "average" may be employed by some that have better glass.
Personally when I purchased my copy I found it superior to the Pentax offering.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ak_kiwi; 08-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.
08-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Yes I suppose if you compare the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM with the latest and greatest from Sigma then the term "average" may be employed by some that have better glass.
What is the Pentax offering for a 70-200mm f/2.8?
08-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Compared to all the other 70-200mm lenses on the market, it was/is average. There are no bad 70-200mm lenses currently in production. The oldest is the Tamron 70-200 which is still screw drive and just as good as the Sigma.

Hopefully we see an excellent Pentax version of the 70-200 next month.
08-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The oldest is the Tamron 70-200 which is still screw drive and just as good as the Sigma.
No IS but that's not such a problem for a lens on a Pentax body.

If an FF is launched at Photokina, I will have that and the Tamron 28-75 as the two f2.8 zooms for it. The primes except for my DA15 will be ready.

Last edited by clackers; 08-18-2014 at 12:16 PM.
08-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Sigma offered the APS-C equivalent of the 70-200mm f/2.8 in the form of the 50-150mm f/2.8 to address the issue of the size and weight of the FF lens. The lens was indeed far smaller and lighter than a 70-200mm, and it had terrific image quality and AF performance. But for some reason that lens never seemed to catch on and was not a hot seller, and was discontinued in short order.

In a somewhat strange twist, Sigma recently came out with a new 50-150mm f/2.8 that is actually a little larger and/or heavier than some FF 70-200mm lenses. The main difference with this new 50-150mm is that it is stabilized. I don't know if stabilization is the only reason it is so much larger and heavier, but it is a dramatic difference. Anyway, I don't get the impression that this new 50-150mm is much of a seller either.
The 50-150 II is indeed superb, Edgar. As one of the few that obtained a reconditioned(really a new one) from Sigma a while back the silent operation, quick precise focus, and near macro sharpness are a joy. As a side note, I sent a K-5 to Sigma to adjust focus before they shipped the lens which they did gratis and turned around in less than a week. Excellent customer service and communication. Hint, hint, hint.