08-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-200 OS For Pentax Discontinued

Discontinued "due to insufficient sales"

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM for Pentax Discontinued

08-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What a surprise... Note that AFAIK it has never been OS at all.
08-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There is actually a full review of this lens on this site, so you must be wrong.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Kevin
08-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
There is actually a full review of this lens on this site, so you must be wrong.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Kevin
Oh, so they indeed made a proper OS lens than... I stand corrected
Most of them were (mis)labeled (by sellers) as OS though they have no OS on Pentax and Sony mounts (which is a steal 'cos the price is the same).

08-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Yes - just after Adam posted a price watch some PF members added that this had unfortunatley happened.
A real shame since it is one of my most used lenses for sports.
I sincerely hope that Pentax will release something with similar optical specs along with the WR or preferably AW rating also.
08-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Yes - just after Adam posted a price watch some PF members added that this had unfortunatley happened.
A real shame since it is one of my most used lenses for sports.
I sincerely hope that Pentax will release something with similar optical specs along with the WR or preferably AW rating also.
Yep.
If they go FF, they need at least f/4 zooms at intro and announced dev of f/2.8 zooms.
Add fast 85, fast 35 and recycle the 55 with a faster focus and they're good to go.
08-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found another thread on this subject. I should have checked thoroughly before starting this thread.

08-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of them were (mis)labeled (by sellers) as OS though they have no OS on Pentax and Sony mounts (which is a steal 'cos the price is the same).
You are not entirely wrong - I was sold the bog standard Sigma 120-400 by a dealer here in NZ who told me I would have to use the Pentax "VR" (I think he meant SR) because Sigma did not supply OS for Pentax. When it arrived in the country and I picked it up from the dealer we were both surprised it had OS.
The 70-200 I bought from B&H (for a "small phenomenal price" once it got through NZ customs) was always advertised as OS though.

Last edited by ak_kiwi; 08-13-2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: missed word :(
08-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Yes I owned it, but sold my copy resently. It did have OS. I only used the #2 setting for panning myself (no SR at the same time).

It's a nice circle since the source is from here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/270116-its-official-sigma-70-200-f2-8-no-longer.html

But I already noticed that it wasn't in shops overhere. Small brand so lack of sales in K-mount.
08-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM for Pentax Discontinued
Many people want or request a new 2.8 70-200ish lens form Pentax. Old FA lenses are offered for much more than the price of a new Sigma lens. The message for Pentax is: we do not need such a lens in our lineup - even Sigma cannot sell it, maybe Tamron feels better here.
Pentax limited lenses probably sell well as well as the low end lenses with cameras. No more serious designs designs for years. Outch! The K3 may be the best APS-C camera overall, but the lens lineup is getting worse over time with no signal for improvements soon.
08-17-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The reason I chose Pentax when I made my shift is that it is weather resistant. How I wish Pentax would improve its weather sealing to guarantee the use of photo equipment under the rain. Of course plus improved optics quality. Price wise, it's much better than Olympus.
08-17-2014, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Many people want or request a new 2.8 70-200ish lens form Pentax. Old FA lenses are offered for much more than the price of a new Sigma lens. The message for Pentax is: we do not need such a lens in our lineup - even Sigma cannot sell it, maybe Tamron feels better here.
Pentax limited lenses probably sell well as well as the low end lenses with cameras. No more serious designs designs for years. Outch! The K3 may be the best APS-C camera overall, but the lens lineup is getting worse over time with no signal for improvements soon.
I'm just puzzled somehow. As much as I can see the benefit of diversity in the market and the more options the better it is for the consumer, but I can not understand some of the sentiments in here and in other threads. There were ideas Pentax should support Sigma with 100000$ for producing more K-mount lenses etc.

Why should Pentax/Ricoh be interested in a situation where a third part manufacturer sells more lenses, many instead of their own ones? Does someone expect Sigma would produce only lenses not available in the Pentax lineup? Also for current costumers, who do want one of the to be discontinued lenses they can just buy it now when they are available new and under full warranty. Why would they be harmed if they won't be produced in future? Why wouldn't you want Pentax/Ricoh to cover the desired focal lenghts and constructions in future? How do you think a cooparation of any sort would not incorporate a sort of agreement to not cannibalise each other (maybe like it was with Tokina, where some of the DA-identical optical constructions where built in all others but K-mount)? And, don't you think Sigma would also see the profit of bringing K-mount versions of lenses that are very popular and where they may see enough demand for them - which obviously was not the case for the discontinued one - also in future?

But how can someone claim the lens-lineup is getting worse? For the current cameras you have probably the best choice ever in Pentax history. Nonetheless, I do miss some constructions, that have been part of the lineup in the past, some TS-lenses, some super tele (not on my list), some widish and some fast primes, there is always room for improvement. But it's also cheap to demand more, and not put the money where the mouth is. Did I say it yet: I'm somehow getting more allergic to plain FUD statements (edit: not adressed to anyone personally)?

Last edited by MMVIII; 08-17-2014 at 06:26 AM.
08-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I'm just puzzled somehow. As much as I can see the benefit of diversity in the market and the more options the better it is for the consumer, but I can not understand some of the sentiments in here and in other threads. There were ideas Pentax should support Sigma with 100000$ for producing more K-mount lenses etc.

Why should Pentax/Ricoh be interested in a situation where a third part manufacturer sells more lenses, many instead of their own ones? Does someone expect Sigma would produce only lenses not available in the Pentax lineup? Also for current costumers, who do want one of the to be discontinued lenses they can just buy it now when they are available new and under full warranty. Why would they be harmed if they won't be produced in future? Why wouldn't you want Pentax/Ricoh to cover the desired focal lenghts and constructions in future? How do you think a cooparation of any sort would not incorporate a sort of agreement to not cannibalise each other (maybe like it was with Tokina, where some of the DA-identical optical constructions where built in all others but K-mount)? And, don't you think Sigma would also see the profit of bringing K-mount versions of lenses that are very popular and where they may see enough demand for them - which obviously was not the case for the discontinued one - also in future?

But how can someone claim the lens-lineup is getting worse? For the current cameras you have probably the best choice ever in Pentax history. Nonetheless, I do miss some constructions, that have been part of the lineup in the past, some TS-lenses, some super tele (not on my list), some widish and some fast primes, there is always room for improvement. But it's also cheap to demand more, and not put the money where the mouth is. Did I say it yet: I'm somehow getting more allergic to plain FUD statements (edit: not adressed to anyone personally)?
I can't find the button to dislike a post.
08-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I can't find the button to dislike a post.
That wouldn't be very helpful anyway. Can you share your concrete reasons for the dislike?

Personally, I appreciate @MMVIII's thoughtful posts (even if I may not always endorse all of their content).
For instance, @MMVIII predicted the larger sensor for the Q, well in advance of the crowd.
08-17-2014, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That wouldn't be very helpful anyway. Can you share your concrete reasons for the dislike?
The long string of hypothetical questions left my head spinning, so that I was not completely sure what he was even saying. It was a painful post to read, and re-read, and re-read.

But it seems like he was saying that in a way, it's good for Pentax if Sigma no longer sells competing lenses. I don't agree that would be good for Pentax, or for Pentax users. I personally would not have bought any Pentax cameras if there wasn't decent 3rd-party lens support. To stay healthy, Pentax needs to keep competing and innovating, to offer something that is more attractive than what the competition is offering.