Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a feeling that Sigma is updating all these lenses to art series...

08-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lets hope that's all it is.
08-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
So no more 105 macro, no more 70-200 and no more 70 macro... And a bunch of their new (a), (s) and (c) lenses are still not available in K mount. I highly doubt that it is because of a "refresh" of the series since all are still available in every other mount. I'm putting my tinfoil hat back on and I'm screaming conspiracy!!!
Signs suggest the K mount Sigma 17-50 is also history. "Backordered" for Pentax yet available for other mounts.

QuoteOriginally posted by momotazur Quote
I have a feeling that Sigma is updating all these lenses to art series...
I hope you're right but my feeling is you're wrong. The unavailable lenses are still in stock for other mounts. Maybe we'll get some news during Photokina.
08-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #19
Forum Member

The loss of Sigma lenses for Pentax would be really bad. I hope that's not the case. Most new lenses are available for Pentax mount. There are some FF lens that are not available, but Pentax doesn't have FF cameras. Also those lense are more expensive and it doesn't really make sense to build them for Pentax mount since only a small number would be sold. And since most Pentax users seem to appreciate the light pancakes I don't see that many buying a huge 120-300 f2.8, especially since Pentax had slower focusing system (for sports). I think there would be updates to art/contemporary and the Pentax mount is the first victim.

08-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I suspect Sigma are under the pump selling all their art series lenses. They are not going to retool their line just to make a few K-mount lenses. When they do a batch of these lenses for the big mounts than they might come back into stock.
08-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

When Pentax is a relatively tiny percentage of the DSLR market, and Sigma is already selling every lens they can build for the other mounts, I guess you can't blame them for cutting off the supply of K-mount lenses. The Sony Alpha system looks better to me every day...
08-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sigma is unable to support Pentax. SigmaIsDoomed!
OK, I admit, it's my fault; I bought zero Sigma lenses and plan to buy once again as many.

08-14-2014, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sigma is unable to support Pentax. SigmaIsDoomed!
OK, I admit, it's my fault; I bought zero Sigma lenses and plan to buy once again as many.
I know you're trying to be funny, but for someone who doesn't like the compromises inherent in compact lens designs (Limiteds) or who doesn't like over-priced, antiquated, unreliable lenses with short warranty periods and a horrific, almost comical, service/support infrastructure, then it actually is a big problem when the two biggest 3rd party lens makers abandon the system. Particularly as they are both hitting their strides with exciting new lenses. Make a joke if you want, but it does not bode well for the future of Pentax DSLR's.

And I know it's almost sacrilege on here to say anything bad about the Limited lenses, but the compromises I'm talking about are 1) Price, 2) Smaller max aperture, and 3) No silent AF motor. I may be in the minority, but I'm one of these that actually came to Pentax because of their great cameras, not because of the glass. And I still think their APS-C DSLR's are the best value out there, but that new Sony SLT A77 II looks very interesting, as does the FF SLT A99
08-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And I know it's almost sacrilege on here to say anything bad about the Limited lenses, but the compromises I'm talking about are 1) Price, 2) Smaller max aperture, and 3) No silent AF motor.
Count me in too. It also sucks that the FA ltd are lacking quickshift. The DA ltd do have it but then lack a bit of speed. What I cannot get over it the microscopic focus ring, I don't have large fingers but still it is not pleasant for me to use. I guess you gotta make compromises if you want to keep the size and weight down (no SDM and no decent focus ring). Regardless both series are kind of expensive.

They sure take very nice and sharp pictures but so does most Sigma primes which are in most case, cheaper and (in Canada) come with a 7 years warranty.

It is nice that Pentax support legacy lenses as it does but, I for one rather have a modern (and warrantied) lens with quickshift and SDM. Good legacy lenses are still selling at a high price, sometimes rivaling newer third party ones. Now the options are drying out... Besides the 90mm macro, I don't believe that Tamron makes any prime in K mount (or any mounts) and as it was mentioned, their new exciting lenses are not yet in K mount.
08-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Edgar_in_Indy:
Yes, I'm trying to bring a smile into this discussion; there's way too much negativism around. I'm only half-joking here, me buying only OEM lenses doesn't help

I agree that 3rd-party support is important, but I'm not yet ready to conclude that Sigma abandoned Pentax; not when they're continuing to launch new K-mount lenses. It appears that K-mount support is slipping behind Alpha-mount support, which is definitely not good.
Other points are subjective or valid only on certain continents - e.g. around here we usually have a 2 years warranty, and Sigma doesn't have an excellent reliability track record.

I have several DA Limiteds, so this kind of "compromise" works for me I wouldn't mind new versions with DC motors and WR, though. If I'm not mistaken the 70mm was not HSM so #3 applies to it.
And I think they're actually affordable.

P.S. Let's keep in mind there's the Photokina next month.
08-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
P.S. Let's keep in mind there's the Photokina next month.
Generally speaking, I've been very happy to be a Pentax owner, so I'm not going to leave the system unless there is a pressing need. I do want to see the company stay around and thrive, so I get a bit frustrated sometimes when I don't understand their decisions. Hopefully Photokina brings good things.

I do a lot of low light photography, which is probably why I've been attracted to the large-aperture lenses that Sigma seems to specialize in lately. My daughters do ballet and gymnastics, so I've kind of been looking at the Sony Carl Zeiss 135mm/1.8 recently. It would be the perfect thing for times when my 85m/1.4 isn't quite long enough. And it seems like the SLT A77 II with its new AF system and 12 fps would be a great body for performances. And as a FF lens, I could keep using it if I ever went that route. But Sigma was rumored to be coming out with a 135mm//1.8, so if that lens materializes and is offered in K-mount, I would probably lean that way. So hopefully Sigma will also be making some announcements at the show.
08-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

And I know it's almost sacrilege on here to say anything bad about the Limited lenses, but the compromises I'm talking about are . . . 3) No silent AF motor.
The newest Limited, the DA 20-40 zoom, does have the DC motor.
08-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
He also mentioned:
1) Price
2) Smaller Max Aperture
08-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
True, but I was actually thinking more of the FA Limited line. I don't think the 20-40mm has ever brought anybody to Pentax. As far as I'm concerned, that lens is yet another example of a bad business decision on Pentax's part. Not that the lens is without merit, but who in the world was asking for such a lens? Esoteric design projects would be fine, as long as they were already amply covering all the essential bases.
08-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
He also mentioned:
1) Price
2) Smaller Max Aperture
Yup, that's why the dots are in the quote, and the number 3) is left in.

---------- Post added 08-14-14 at 11:43 AM ----------

I don't think the 20-40mm has ever brought anybody to Pentax. As far as I'm concerned, that lens is yet another example of a bad business decision on Pentax's part. Not that the lens is without merit, but who in the world was asking for such a lens?
I was, for one.

A single compact lens,
covering the equivalents of the 35mm and 55mm focal lengths I mainly worked with on film,
and with the kind of pleasing rendering that you normally only get with the best primes.

Earlier, I'd been toying with the idea of getting an FA 20-35,
but the DA 20-40 that replaces it is way better.