Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Sigma 70-200 is also gone.
K-mount lenses from third party manufacturers are rapidly disappearing. What a blessed mount we have ...
Just read that the 70 is discontinued for everybody, not just Pentax.

08-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Nah, Pentax is doomed.
08-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #63
Forum Member

Where?
08-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once again, my opinion counts for nothing.... is Sigma going through some kind of crisis? Trying to sell lenses like they were iPhones? All about getting the inventory down to 2 weeks and dumping any product that doesn't make money over a 1 month span? It worked for Apple, but, this is a lens company, you wouldn't think that model would work.

08-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nkull Quote
Where?
The internetz!

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/08/sigma-70mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro-discontinued-soon/

Sigma rumors. So it has to be true. Fits the available data, though.
08-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #66
Veteran Member

maybe this signals an impending Art or Contemporary model coming up
08-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
maybe this signals an impending Art or Contemporary model coming up
Oh, so Pentax is not soooo doomed after all.
Dunno if this is even funny.

08-22-2014, 02:23 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, so Pentax is not soooo doomed after all.
Dunno if this is even funny.
Except that, historically, when Sigma discontinues a lens that was available in K mount the replacement for it generally won't be in K mount.

OK so the only example I can think of is a couple of iterations of the 70-200 f/2.8s in the past, but still lets not let the positivity get too out of hand
08-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #69
Pentaxian

No, it comes in K mount, but later.
Exception is high end lenses, sure, bit otherwise this forum makes really a lot of noise for nothing.
08-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, it comes in K mount, but later.
Exception is high end lenses, sure, bit otherwise this forum makes really a lot of noise for nothing.
Well the trouble is that it's mainly those higher end lenses which Pentax doesn't have covered - there hasn't been a production 70/80-200 2.8 for ten years since Pentax discontinued the FA* in 2004 (the DA* 60-250 I think fills this now myself but people still pine for 2.8). Similarly, Sigma's 180mm macro was the only choice in its class since Pentax discontinued the 200mm also in 2004. Up until the release of the 560mm last year (?) Sigma's own 500mm was the only option. This one however is still available.

Overall I agree with you that these are exceptions but if you happen to really want or need a lens in these focal lengths it is an issue. For most people it doesn't matter but this forum is not representative of most people - so it's hardly surprising that there's a great deal more moaning on here than is perhaps totally justified.
08-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I agree but then this more the problem of the whole Pentax ecosystem.
And I don't find excuses for the situation but it takes (and will take) time for Ricoh to get the situation back to normal or better than before (and weird looking to us camera is part of this).
08-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once again, my opinion counts for nothing.... is Sigma going through some kind of crisis?
Not necessarily. Inventory dumping before releasing a new model or product line is pretty standard across many industries, from cars to computers to clothing.
08-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I'd be real surprised if they stopped producing Pentax lenses altogether.
I would too. I think the lesson to be drawn from recent discontinuing of Sigma glass is that, even when Sigma decides to release a K-mount version of one of their lenses (and they'll be very selective in what the choose), there's no guarantee that they'll keep producing that specific K-mount version. If it doesn't sell enough for their liking, they'll discontinue it in a heartbeat. So if a lens like the 18-35 f1.8 fits your shooting style, get it while it's still around. Three, four years down the road, that lens may be hard to get ahold of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirton Quote
Sigma may sandwich a lot of glass/elements and generate high MTF figures in its production lenses but cannot match Pentax when it comes to rendering (I"m not talking about CA or PF control here, I'm speaking of color rendition/character). Just my personal perspective on this matter.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
In exchange if you get an FA ltd, for having only f/1.8, more in put in a a better rendering, better color, images that just pop more. I don't want to buy a bulky, heavy spec sheet. I want a lens that help me to take great photos.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way about Sigma glass. I've just never been able to fully accept the yellow/green cast that so many of their lenses seem to have. Just wish Pentax would license some of Sigma's more unusual designs, like the 8-16, and slap either SMC or HD coatings on them. Not going to ever happen, however.
08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Hey, what about the Tamron 60mm f2.0 macro? Did that ever come out for K-mount?
08-22-2014, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way about Sigma glass. I've just never been able to fully accept the yellow/green cast that so many of their lenses seem to have. Just wish Pentax would license some of Sigma's more unusual designs, like the 8-16, and slap either SMC or HD coatings on them. Not going to ever happen, however.
Don't worry, if you spend 5 minutes around here, you'll find plenty of people hating on Sigma.

Personally, I don't know what you're talking about the color cast. I never see it mentioned on professional review sites that review all brands of lenses. So Pentax lenses all have the same exact perfect color cast, even though they are designed variously by Pentax, Tokina and Tamron?

And even if it were true that Sigma lenses all somehow manage to have some kind of unusual color cast, is that even an issue if you shoot RAW? But again, I'm not necessarily buying it.

I think there's a lot of people who reflexively don't want to give too much credit to a non-Pentax lens, and to sometimes attribute undue virtue to anything with "Pentax" on it. Somewhat conveniently, Pentax seems to excel at everything that can't be measured.

And if a particular Pentax lens is sharp, the sharpness is mentioned and praised on here endlessly. But when Sigma lenses are sharp, it's because they're one-dimensional spec-whores.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-22-2014 at 01:38 PM.