Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

ricoh files patent on 2 Q lens designs and on 4/3 design!

Ricoh preps tele macro prime and zoom for Q-mount, and… 7mm prime for Four Thirds??

08-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting.... It would be cool for Pentax to make 3rd party lenses for other systems. It would be another income stream and pentax is well know for their high quality, small primes. I am sure there are many owners of other brands who would consider purchasing them.
08-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
HYS

So no FF, but expect 4/3 ?
08-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
4/3 is interesting. A 4/3 Q?

But I would prefer those Ricoh camera engineers and optical designers to be working hard on lens designs and improvements for larger formats ...

08-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was also a patent for the 28mm equivalent lens in 4/3 for a camera 15 months ago (most likely a GR alternative or GRs twin brother).
This is all inconclusive, means nothing. They have more APS-C patents though, and I hardly believe they will issue any serious camera system / approach with a sensor smaller than APS-C.
08-16-2014, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #6

Hey, you never know, maybe this Photokina, Pentax will shock the world by concurrently releasing high end DSLRs in three different formats, 4/3 K-mount, APS-C K-mount and FF K-mount, allowing users to chose what crop factor they prefer and having the 4/3 camera for Sports and a lower resolution allowing for a larger sustained burst, a Canon 5dm3/7d equivalent jack of all trades APS-C camera, and a Nikon D810 equivalent high megapixel FF camera for studio and landscape works. eg, all the cameras have the same general body, buffer and controls etc, but with differing viewfinders/mirror boxes and sensors (all of the sensors having the same pixel pitch, so equivalent ISO ranges and results, but with different amounts of data going through the processor). All the cameras would use a SAFOX 11+ AF, allowing the 4/3 sensor camera to have huge AF coverage, and the FF sensor camera to have tightly packed and highly accurate AF coverage.
08-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
concurrently releasing high end DSLRs in three different formats ...all the cameras have the same general body, buffer and controls etc, but with differing viewfinders/mirror boxes and sensors
Now that would shake things up, without breaking the bank.
Do it, Ricoh.
08-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

I think the 4/3 design is a lens for a short throw projector. At least that's what the original link says.

08-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That prime for the Q sounds great, but I am a little more interested in K-mount.
A 45mm f/1.8 macro prime for the Q! This should provide top notch IQ, and the lens diagram seems pretty complex. So this could be used for sports, portraits, and maybe even wildlife photography
08-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hey, you never know, maybe this Photokina, Pentax will shock the world by concurrently releasing high end DSLRs in three different formats, 4/3 K-mount, APS-C K-mount and FF K-mount, allowing users to chose ...
All that can be done with a good 36mm FF sensor in one camera.
Within that 36 MP FF area, there is ~15 megapickles covering the APS-C frame, and some ~10 megapickles covering the 4/3 format all using the same sensor tech. It is important to keep the 3:2 ratio in the original sensor because Pentax K-mount lenses and accessories don't work in 4/3 format. Thus any 4/3 sized image must be a crop of the standard 3:2 mode.
08-16-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As JPT wrote, the 7mm with a 4/3" image circle is supposed to be an ultra-wide-angle lens for a projector, to allow for the latter to be placed very close to the screen:

Ricoh 7mm F2.6(4/3")

If it were a lens for a 4/3, it wolud be an odd one, with a total length of almost 13cm and a very bulging front lens of 9cm in diameter.

In November 2008, Pentax (then belonging to Hoya) already filed a patent for 4/3 lenses: 17mm f/2.8, 17mm f/2 and 14mm f/2.8:

Pentax 4/3 17mm F2.8 17mm F2.0 14mm F2.8

Last edited by Mistral75; 08-16-2014 at 05:06 AM.
08-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hey, you never know, maybe this Photokina, Pentax will shock the world by concurrently releasing high end DSLRs in three different formats, 4/3 K-mount, APS-C K-mount and FF K-mount, allowing users to chose what crop factor they prefer and having the 4/3 camera for Sports and a lower resolution allowing for a larger sustained burst, a Canon 5dm3/7d equivalent jack of all trades APS-C camera, and a Nikon D810 equivalent high megapixel FF camera for studio and landscape works. eg, all the cameras have the same general body, buffer and controls etc, but with differing viewfinders/mirror boxes and sensors (all of the sensors having the same pixel pitch, so equivalent ISO ranges and results, but with different amounts of data going through the processor). All the cameras would use a SAFOX 11+ AF, allowing the 4/3 sensor camera to have huge AF coverage, and the FF sensor camera to have tightly packed and highly accurate AF coverage.
Well there are some issues. You actually want them to make three different body's since you want to change the mirrorbox, sensor module (including the SR mechanism), shuttermechanism and optical viewfinder. So my guess is that there is zero chance on a project like this. The cost of the camera are not in the body, buffer or controls, but in those key differences between them. We actually already have the 4/3 solution, since you can crop that out of the K-3. Still not faster in processing, and I do see that as a problem. If the K-3 (or the following K-3 II) could switch between 14-bit and 12-bit processing (no idea if this is build on the sensor or part of the PRIME III engine) then you would gain the speed you want. A larger buffer could be build in, not to expensive, but the processing time with a full buffer wil be long.

I did do a proposal myself for different camera's coming from one line, but only different in the sensor. In the current K-3 you could also put the 16 megapixelsensor and keep the rest the same. That would also be for a FF camera, with three types of sensors, 16mp, 24mp and 36mp. Don't expect tomany sales from them.
08-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #13

I'd like to say that my post was partly in jest. Sure it'd be awesome if a three pronged attack like that was financially viable and genuinely helpful, but alas, it's not. I do wish there was some way to crop the sensor and increase the length the buffer could go, but I doubt it would happen
08-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It is not uncommon for engineers to patent things not for themselves to use, but to prevent a competitor from doing something. Several of my patents were filed for just this purpose: variations on a competitors product designed to box them out of a market opportunity.

Also, keep in mind that with Japanese companies, it is common for an engineer's status to be heavily influenced by their patent portfolio, so they have a tendency to file for inventions they have no use for. Of course this is true across all cultures, but I would say at least twice as common with Japanese firms.
08-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Interesting.... It would be cool for Pentax to make 3rd party lenses for other systems. It would be another income stream and pentax is well know for their high quality, small primes. I am sure there are many owners of other brands who would consider purchasing them.
Unless they also have bodies on the said system, this a bas idea : they would kill their camera business and Kmount.