Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #1501
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,720
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-S1 is using a 77-segment metering system.
If that's the case (unless Ricoh have some other tricks up their sleeve), then face detection will probably only work via Live View mode.

The 77 sector metering system is just too chunky to play a useful role in detecting faces, particularly eyes or even skin tones.

09-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #1502
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,676
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-S1 is using a 77-segment metering system.
That's from the K-5.
09-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #1503
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,738
77 segment metering came with K-7/645D.
09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #1504
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,676
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
77 segment metering came with K-7/645D.
You are right.


Well it sounds great when it's equiped like the 645D

It is just not making up for the introductionprice with this.

09-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #1505
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,842
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If that's the case (unless Ricoh have some other tricks up their sleeve), then face detection will probably only work via Live View mode.

The 77 sector metering system is just too chunky to play a useful role in detecting faces, particularly eyes or even skin tones.
It is the case (since I've read it on Ricoh's site), so we can safely assume that face detection only works in Live View.
09-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #1506
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Still a little too pricy for me. Maybe in about 6 months, it will go down to $500.
09-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #1507
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It is all about practicality and engagement to use camera more, not use computer more.
Say, why some company does not think like following:

1. Let's put 32GB or internal memory in this camera.
2. Lets ut some great computing power.
3. Split the memory in two: 16GB for RAW storage, and then leave 16 GB for JPEGs, which can be made on the fly in, say, two pre-sets user wanted. As an illustration, one set of JPEGs for Fuji Provia simulation, one for 2MP web and social media version.

One click of a shutter release button creates three files and all is done on the fly, as camera has sufficient computing power and internal memory. When connecting to a computer, all is downloaded. Instead of boring DCIM folders with incomprehensible file names, folders are sorted and named by Months and by user's name for example. Then when the camera is idle, data is backed up silently onto an SD, NOT written down on SD during the image recording session which slows everything down. When the internal storage comes to 80% of capacity, camera warns you on the back LCD.

Voila! Zero computer work afterwards needed. Or at least, minimum of computer work, only if some other than preferred JPEG setting is to be used. Why someone does not implement something as simple and engaging as this is beyond me. Japanese cameras today, when compared to smartphones, are tech from the stone age.
Ok, I see where you're going. I wasn't suggesting more bum-in-seat time in front of a computer, however.

From you're first post what I thought was that you wanted to do away with RAW's completely, which isn't unreasonable, if you switch to a format that has a better/variable bit depth than 8 bits... and as you say, have some develop presets in camera, you could have a developed image and the source data all in one file for display and storage.

A bit like Lightroom does, I guess.
09-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #1508
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,303
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
you could have a developed image and the source data all in one file for display and storage
Don't stop there, have the camera be the display device and storage device. Basically an interchangeable lens iPad.

I like to think about what device I need to do the activities I want, not figure out what activities I can do with a device. Admittedly, not everyone thinks the way I do. For me, photography is two related, but separate activities. One activity is going out in the world and taking pictures, the other activity is coming back home and looking at the pictures to remind myself of what I saw when I went out. I get much better results by using two different devices to do these two different activities.

09-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #1509
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Don't stop there, have the camera be the display device and storage device. Basically an interchangeable lens iPad.

I like to think about what device I need to do the activities I want, not figure out what activities I can do with a device. Admittedly, not everyone thinks the way I do. For me, photography is two related, but separate activities. One activity is going out in the world and taking pictures, the other activity is coming back home and looking at the pictures to remind myself of what I saw when I went out. I get much better results by using two different devices to do these two different activities.
That's why I suggested keeping the source data in the file - to keep that option open.

Going back a few posts the notion was that shooting jpegs with a phone is a bit like shooting Polaroids; instant (or instagram) satisfaction.

But 'developing' a raw file - as if it were film - is a bit of a throwback to when we thought the earth was flat, fire was new, and we were all telling Grog that his 'wheel' thing would never catch on.

It's just an unfortunate turn of history that we settled on jpeg as the format that just about any current gizmo on earth can display, since it has such poor bit depth - hence we use RAW files. Imagine how simple life would be if every device had a 25EV display capability (or at least a display profile, like a tone mapping curve). Recover highlights? Pffft. No need. Shadow detail? It's there.

A photo of a brightly sunlit stained glass window would actually look like a stained glass window... (less of course, the true directionality of the light... but we won't discuss that non-Pentax camera here).

But if you wanted a slightly different contrast curve, or maybe mess with the white balance a bit, apply some sharpening, do a black and white conversion... you could still do that. It would just be a better result than doing post prod on a jpeg today.
09-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #1510
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
101 pages of discussion on an entry-level camera that's not in the market yet, wow. I wonder if the K-3 fared better talk mileage during its pre-release time
09-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1511
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,552
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I wonder if the K-3 fared better talk mileage during its pre-release time
Of course: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3.html
09-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #1512
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,654
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
But 'developing' a raw file - as if it were film - is a bit of a throwback to when we thought the earth was flat, fire was new, and we were all telling Grog that his 'wheel' thing would never catch on.
No, it is a practical necessity for when your notion of what the photo is supposed to look like conflicts with that of the engineers at Ricoh.


Steve

BTW...the term "develop" is a throwback for digital post-processing in the same way that "drive" is a throwback for controlling an automobile in motion. Technically, there is no team of animals pulling the car, but we "drive" their petroleum/electrical equivalent none-the-less.
09-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #1513
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Of course: why I won't buy a k3
I always thought that thread came after the K-3 came into shops. Huge success there lol 600+ pages.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
For me, photography is two related, but separate activities. One activity is going out in the world and taking pictures, the other activity is coming back home and looking at the pictures to remind myself of what I saw when I went out. I get much better results by using two different devices to do these two different activities.
while I share a similar view, many young photographers nowadays miss on the latter part because they don't want to wait until getting home to remind themselves of what they saw on their day out. Maybe it's just me, but instant-sharing on the web kind of takes away the "fun" part because people get more excited on the reactions they're gonna get from other people viewing their posts than enjoying the actual moment while still at it.
09-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #1514
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
while I share a similar view, many young photographers nowadays miss on the latter part because they don't want to wait until getting home to remind themselves of what they saw on their day out. Maybe it's just me, but instant-sharing on the web kind of takes away the "fun" part because people get more excited on the reactions they're gonna get from other people viewing their posts than enjoying the actual moment while still at it.
Yup, that's the social-media world. Last year there was a guy who live-tweeted his mother's death. I find it , but that's just me. I've also read of people posting tweets/facebook updates of horrible things happening to them (home invasion, etc) instead of calling emergency/911.
09-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #1515
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,001
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...the term "develop" is a throwback for digital post-processing in the same way that "drive" is a throwback for controlling an automobile in motion. Technically, there is no team of animals pulling the car, but we "drive" their petroleum/electrical equivalent none-the-less.
Exposing is still sort of exposing - and at least printing is still printing - but Horsepower?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, care, colour, design, ff, flash, format, iso, k-01, k-3, k3, kit, kit lens, leds, lens, level, look, medium, pentax, pentax k-s1, pentax news, pentax rumors, performance, price, scheme, steve, value
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Thoughts on the K-01 and Mirrorless From Pentax Biro Pentax Mirrorless Cameras 108 06-25-2014 03:20 PM
Mirrorless K-Mount Camera Joshua A Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 08-22-2013 04:28 AM
K-mount mirrorless....FF RonHendriks1966 Pentax Full Frame 13 05-28-2013 03:13 PM
Waiting on my first mirrorless: K-01! Penta Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-30-2013 05:49 AM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top