Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #1561
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hmmmm. This is with the DA10-17, but the DA15 and DA21 would would be fine for a tighter composition.


Spin Off selfie
Which proves my point; one needs a $700 camera and a $600 lens (which never comes in kit) to do a meaningful selfie at an arm's length?

09-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #1562
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,345
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
DA15 and DA21 would would be fine for a tighter composition
I've seen some of your excellent work, wouldn't you be embarrassed to put your name to a self-portrait taken with either of these lenses, especially since it would be obvious that your arms are raised and pointed inward to create a cleavage shot? At least with the 10mm shot, the two of your are placed in surroundings full of other people, buildings and some interesting ambient light to tell a story. It's a nice fisheye shot, but even at 15mm the scene will have zero interest, it won't even make it look like a reflection in a convex mirror.
09-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #1563
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I like your review.
Thanks!
09-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #1564
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 91
Just found a first hand review of KS-1 but it is in Japanese.

09-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #1565
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
No sales overhere yet.
09-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #1566
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Original Poster
I just put my own impressions of the K-S1 in this thread. In short, I liked it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/274182-k-s1-impressions-k-01-owner.html
09-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #1567
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 350
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Which proves my point; one needs a $700 camera and a $600 lens (which never comes in kit) to do a meaningful selfie at an arm's length?
So about the same price as the new Iphone 6+
09-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #1568
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,126
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
So about the same price as the new Iphone 6+
But,... it doesn't bend in your pocket, and the latest firmware isn't generating recalls and hate mail.

09-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #1569
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
So about the same price as the new Iphone 6+
So you see the biggest problem.....I also want a smartphone first.
09-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #1570
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
But,... it doesn't bend in your pocket, and the latest firmware isn't generating recalls and hate mail.
That would be like saying it doesn't survive underwater or in an oven, and firmware is not upgradable.
Because of how thin the tablet sized phone is, of course it will bend if they are sat on with it in your back pocket, etc.
And at least the firmware 'recall' was quickly addressed. It only behooves Apple to do so.
Even after all the complaints of past Pentax camera's back focusing issues and flash exposure compensation issues in bounced flash, how long did it take to get these problems solved?
But as for the K-S1, it's a nifty concept, that I'm sure will take off with the right target group who still appreciate the ILC model of photography.
09-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #1571
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,191
I have to admit that for some reason this camera really intrigues me.
09-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #1572
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,551
Going smaller was a great choice for my needs, and losing the WR and LI90 battery are things I can tolerate. What worries me is the uncertainty of mutating specs sheets; I've never watched such things before (as I've never preordered before) but specs online have changed several times recently. First they were vague (no surprise) then they claimed conflicting values (12- vs 14-bit raw, max ISO confusion). Now multi-exposure and interval shooting/video are gone from the specs on every page except the US site, matching the Photokina video's FW 0.30 menus. Those features have been on every PRIME M camera, and I like them; how could PRIME M-II not do these, or has Pentax resorted to crippling, or were they rushing to market and FW 1.01 will add them back? Who knows? What's a buyer to do?!?

But hey, if I'm willing to stick myself with another DAL 18-55 for a dusk-gold body I guess I'm a sucker for anything but I sure wish I knew what the K-s1 can do before it reaches my doorstep...
09-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #1573
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 28
K-S1 vs K-500

K-S1 vs K-500: The specifications are basically identical with the exception of the K-S1 having 20megapixels vs 16 megapixels for the K-500... However the K-500 pixel size is larger (23um(squared) vs 17um(squared) and almost the same size as a Nikon D810... Lager pixels equates to more data for the processor to use... Once you get past the cosmetics, is the K-S1 really worth twice the price ($800) of a K-500 ($399) both with the same kit lens... I don't feel that the K-S1 will produce a significant gain in image quality (maybe 2-3%) if any, and maybe, just maybe, the K-500 would prevail to produce better pictures... Remains to be seen and some reviewers testing could unveil the results... For a few bucks more would it be worth the road trip from the K-S1 to the K-3... And we know that the image quality between the K-50/K500 and the K-3 using the same lenses is marginal (maybe 5-8%) better with the K-3... Ho humm... The marketing tactics of the "pixel count" as being better (Do you really need a 454 CID in a short bed pickup to take the trash to the dump) hahaha. If your printer prints 300 dots per inch (considered Professional Quality) then it would take 7 megapixels to print an 8x10... Does this mean that a 20 megapixels can print 24x30 at 300dpi... At 150 dpi (very acceptable) that is 5 feet tall. (My printer can't print that big - and I am not spending the money for a plotter that can)... hahaha Do I see printing some wall murals around the corner... Cheaper to buy wall paper... lol... Real life - K-3, K-S1, K50/500 using the same lens, print an 8x10 at 300dpi, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference without a magnifying glass... So if I show up at your house with a magnifying glass to look at your wall pictures - you will know why... hahaha
09-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #1574
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,443
The point is whether a first-time dSLR buyer will buy a K-S1 but would pass on the (you say) nearly identical K-500.
09-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #1575
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote
K-S1 vs K-500: The specifications are basically identical with the exception of the K-S1 having 20megapixels vs 16 megapixels for the K-500... However the K-500 pixel size is larger (23um(squared) vs 17um(squared) and almost the same size as a Nikon D810... Lager pixels equates to more data for the processor to use... Once you get past the cosmetics, is the K-S1 really worth twice the price ($800) of a K-500 ($399) both with the same kit lens... I don't feel that the K-S1 will produce a significant gain in image quality (maybe 2-3%) if any, and maybe, just maybe, the K-500 would prevail to produce better pictures... Remains to be seen and some reviewers testing could unveil the results... For a few bucks more would it be worth the road trip from the K-S1 to the K-3... And we know that the image quality between the K-50/K500 and the K-3 using the same lenses is marginal (maybe 5-8%) better with the K-3... Ho humm... The marketing tactics of the "pixel count" as being better (Do you really need a 454 CID in a short bed pickup to take the trash to the dump) hahaha. If your printer prints 300 dots per inch (considered Professional Quality) then it would take 7 megapixels to print an 8x10... Does this mean that a 20 megapixels can print 24x30 at 300dpi... At 150 dpi (very acceptable) that is 5 feet tall. (My printer can't print that big - and I am not spending the money for a plotter that can)... hahaha Do I see printing some wall murals around the corner... Cheaper to buy wall paper... lol... Real life - K-3, K-S1, K50/500 using the same lens, print an 8x10 at 300dpi, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference without a magnifying glass... So if I show up at your house with a magnifying glass to look at your wall pictures - you will know why... hahaha
I think there is a lot of thruet in this story.

For newspaper on average (remember pro's) you are good to go with 2 megapixel (8 inch wide), while you only need 6 to 7 megapixel to fill a whole page. For magazines 6 megapixels is good enough for a normal sized magazine (11 x 8.7 inch overhere).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, care, colour, design, ff, flash, format, iso, k-01, k-3, k3, kit, kit lens, leds, lens, level, look, medium, pentax, pentax k-s1, pentax news, pentax rumors, performance, price, scheme, steve, value
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Thoughts on the K-01 and Mirrorless From Pentax Biro Pentax Mirrorless Cameras 108 06-25-2014 03:20 PM
Mirrorless K-Mount Camera Joshua A Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 08-22-2013 04:28 AM
K-mount mirrorless....FF RonHendriks1966 Pentax Full Frame 13 05-28-2013 03:13 PM
Waiting on my first mirrorless: K-01! Penta Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-30-2013 05:49 AM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top