Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #1726
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Right now I am doing several things - watching a video, moving files to calibrate focus, checking focus in lightroom, and downloading files for work. In window 8 I'd have to toggle back and forth, one at a time.
???? Win32 apps work as they always did.

Copying large files and large numbers of files - an ability dear to photographers - is better than it ever was!

10-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #1727
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only time will tell, I believe, that this whole AA simulation was much ado about nothing. For a D800 or K-3 and above level camera, one may presume, ‘Oh well, I may need that once in 6 months’. But for a K-S1 camera? Pure nonsense.
It would be better if the AF system / metering was adopted from the K-3 and scaled down, rather than this, for this class / purpose camera a totally pointless AA simulation. But they did it because it was easier, not because it was better.
10-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #1728
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Only time will tell, I believe, that this whole AA simulation was much ado about nothing. For a D800 or K-3 and above level camera, one may presume, ‘Oh well, I may need that once in 6 months’. But for a K-S1 camera? Pure nonsense.
You speak for yourself, Uluru, I'll do landscapes with it!
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #1729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I wouldn't know, I refused to buy it or allow it in the office. Rumor has it that they are now skipping '9' and going to '10' which makes things even harder as I have never bought an even numbered version of Windows.

But your point (to get back to Ricoh) is Ricoh could spend $1.5b on advertising but without products, support and capacity it would just be a waste of money. For much of the US any advertising they do would be a waste because the product is not available to the average consumer. Advertising is important but without a quality product available for sale it cannot overcome everything.
Not even rumored, confirmed. With a start menu. Crazy

It's tick/tock you know, a good one , a bad one, a good one, a bad one (Vista (bad), 7 (good), 8 (bad), 10 (good) etc.)

10-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #1730
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
???? Win32 apps work as they always did.

Copying large files and large numbers of files - an ability dear to photographers - is better than it ever was!
They've changed things. When it came out, I asked the rep if you could have powerpoint, word, matlab, and firefox (actually pale moon) all open and visible on the monitor at the same time.

The answer was no from the rep. He showed me how you could scurry things about and have one thing open and another thing kinda-open at the same time.
10-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #1731
Pentaxian

He was talking about the new (and silly) Metro interface, right? But that's not your only option. You can even get your start menu back, with the help of a third-party software.
Anyway, it was a bad move, and they tried to force it on us.
10-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #1732
Loyal Site Supporter

The answer was no from the rep.
Ahem, he was wrong.

You may have been looking at the touch interface and the phone style apps (the one you would use on a tablet) instead of the traditional desktop (which has heaps of keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures for a traditionalist like me). :-)

Last edited by clackers; 10-06-2014 at 01:19 AM.
10-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #1733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ahem, he was wrong.

You may have been looking at the touch interface and the phone style apps (the one you would use on a tablet) instead of the traditional desktop (which has heaps of keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures for a traditionalist like me). :-)
Indeed but Win8 is still laughable. Not so much in its form (I still think that metro apps on a classic form PC is very stupid) but the fact that they forced the user into it.
Specially knowing the businesses would never ever follow them. We may still end with such an interface but forcing it in the best way to get your customers to tell you (you being M$ here) to "go forth and multiply" (I love that quote).

10-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #1734
Veteran Member

The vast majority of the Window 8 hate comes from people who never used it. The things that are "wrong" with it -- start screen too jarring, too much emphasis in Metro apps for desktop machines, low discoverability of hot corners, etc. -- are exactly the same ones they got negative feedback on during the beta and preview cycle. Sinofsky insisted he was right though and the typical low-tech user would love it. If anything, they hate it more! Well, he's fired ("seeking new opportunities"), some things got fixed in 8.1 and the rest of the things people hate are getting fixed in 10.

The underlying improvements to the OS are fantastic and it's rock solid stable. Speaking as a retired programmer and project manager, the sheer amount of added code for the tablet interface plus all the refactoring to make it work on older hardware while booting and running faster just makes me tired to contemplate. Everyone complains about the Start Menu, but no one complains that it crashes or doesn't work with their hardware. Big kudos to that side of the team. Of course no one notices when it goes right except geeks like me.

ElJamoquio - the sales guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Unless it was one of the few Windows RT tablets (which is a more like an iPad or a Android tablet), Windows 8 can do everything Windows 7 can do. The desktop is still there. You can even boot straight to it, load up the taskbar with your shortcuts and never even see Metro unless you are looking for an app you don't have a shortcut to.
10-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #1735
Pentaxian

I wouldn't know, I refused to buy it or allow it in the office. Rumor has it that they are now skipping '9' and going to '10' which makes things even harder as I have never bought an even numbered version of Windows.
The reason for MS skipping "Windows 9" is that some software detects older versions of Windows (95 & 98) as "Windows 9x", so MS is attempting to circumvent any confusion.
10-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #1736
Site Supporter

To keep on topic: the comparison with Win 8 and the K-S1 is amazing. Lots of new, quirky interface things on the K-S1 that make traditionalists quite upset. But obviously Ricoh is much smarter than Microsoft as they are not forcing those horrible changes on all of us, just on the K-S1. By having both new and traditional styles available users can make a choice! Unlike the horrible, draconian change forced onto the world by Microsoft.
10-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #1737
Loyal Site Supporter

To keep on topic: the comparison with Win 8 and the K-S1 is amazing. Lots of new, quirky interface things on the K-S1 that make traditionalists quite upset. But obviously Ricoh is much smarter than Microsoft as they are not forcing those horrible changes on all of us, just on the K-S1. By having both new and traditional styles available users can make a choice! Unlike the horrible, draconian change forced onto the world by Microsoft.
However, traditionalists resent that Ricoh has wasted even a dime of effort on the K-S1, Q (entire line) and everything not black instead of working diligently on the one thing traditionalists want. ;

Last edited by monochrome; 10-06-2014 at 11:42 AM.
10-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1738
Veteran Member

Yuppers. It is nice that Ricoh has (at least) two models of DSLR all the time.

Personally I don't like the K-S1 but it was never meant to be a camera for me. Windows8 was definitely meant for me, and I don't have another choice within Microsoft... and honestly I don't have a choice outside of Microsoft, either. If I don't like 8, I have to wait and hope for a new version that's good before support for Windows7 erodes.
10-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #1739
Pentaxian

Yuppers. It is nice that Ricoh has (at least) two models of DSLR all the time.

Personally I don't like the K-S1 but it was never meant to be a camera for me. Windows8 was definitely meant for me, and I don't have another choice within Microsoft... and honestly I don't have a choice outside of Microsoft, either. If I don't like 8, I have to wait and hope for a new version that's good before support for Windows7 erodes.
10 will do alright. 8 isn't bad inside indeed.
The problem is the form. They got kicked for it (rightly so).
They'll correct it. It's fine (for me).

Note that Apple is doing crap too but at least it takes a couple revisions.
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #1740
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
10 will do alright. 8 isn't bad inside indeed.
All reports I've read praise the internals. The GUI is either loved or hated. The issue for many simply being the change was forced without (apparent) choice. Our last computer upgrades came after Win 8 was out and I had to fight to get machines with Win 7 on them. Once upon a time I was first in with anything new, now I guess I am a 'traditionalist' which might be a code word for "old, ossified, stuck in the past, geezer". Terrible to get old and lose the delight in trying anything new just because it was new.

I remember looking at the first Amiga computer, I think at Sears, with a bunch of other kids. We spent an hour trying to learn what it did, sales staff had no idea, no manual, no instructions, just click or type something to see what would happen. Now I'm so 'traditionalist' I won't even upgrade to a new Windows.

LEDs on my camera? Gasp!!