Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #1741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think this is proving those who thought the camera was wrongly priced were correct. Who drops the price of a product by $100 only a couple weeks after it was really available for purchase?
Any company that wants the $100 early-adopter premium.

And we say Ricoh doesn't market. BAH!!

10-23-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #1742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

+1 Or maybe they realized they made a mistake, and made a correction - not that we would ever give them credit for doing so.

Now they need a PF-themed color set: Sour Grapes, Stewed Prunes, "Blowing" Raspberry, Everything-is-Black, Blacker, Blackest...
10-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #1743
Veteran Member

These camera will stand up in a crowded market . Go Pentax, I am sure they will be well accepted in Japan , their main market. The demographic for sure are Japanese women. Nothing wrong and it's good marketing. Pentax is not alone doing this
Here some smartphone color for Japan
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=36769
10-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #1744
Veteran Member

We both know if Ricoh thought they'd get the $100 early adopter tax, they'd at least try to collect it for a few months. They didn't even give it a few weeks which tells me they figured out they weren't getting it anyway.

10-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #1745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We both know if Ricoh thought they'd get the $100 early adopter tax, they'd at least try to collect it for a few months. They didn't even give it a few weeks which tells me they figured out they weren't getting it anyway.
I'm much more upset about the bonehead marketing email photo than I am about a pricing decision that has unknown (to me) inputs. But given that I know a nightly news producer, I also understand the nightly question from PA's: "Should I ask to shoot B-Roll, buy B-roll or just Google something we can use for free?" Thankfully, only options one and two are ever considered.

You'd think if they were going to use something stock and shop it they would have started with a better base image. Probably a contract job, maybe even from the Japanese product managers.
10-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #1746
Veteran Member

I'm much more upset about the bonehead marketing email photo than I am about a pricing decision that has unknown (to me) inputs. But given that I know a nightly news producer, I also understand the nightly question from PA's: "Should I ask to shoot B-Roll, buy B-roll or just Google something we can use for free?" Thankfully, only options one and two are ever considered.

You'd think if they were going to use something stock and shop it they would have started with a better base image. Probably a contract job, maybe even from the Japanese product managers.
You're right, it's disturbing and really causes people to wonder how serious they are about this business. If the stated intention is to be "a dominant player in the ILC camera business" (or whatever it was they said), is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
10-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #1747
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're right, it's disturbing and really causes people to wonder how serious they are about this business. If the stated intention is to be "a dominant player in the ILC camera business" (or whatever it was they said), is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
To be fair, the p'shopped picture is way below their usual standards, at least judging by all the other images of Pentax gear on the Ricoh UK and EU sites which have the kind of high-quality product photography one would expect. Even the first round of the ghastly Sweetie stuff had high-quality images of cakes and teatime tables, etc. For all we know, those too are p'shopped but better stock images but we haven't yet twigged (I doubt this is so in most cases, however). In my view, there weren't nearly enough cakes in the pictures. They should have laid it on with a few treble-decker cake stands. I won't be buying this camera myself, as a lonely protest against Ricoh's apparent prejudice against anyone who likes cake enough to want more of it and then more of it again.

Perhaps they just dug ye "it looks good enough" image for the email campaign and someone never stopped to ask a few obvious questions, like "Hello, this is a camera company we are promoting, you do need top-of-the-line images if you want to sell a camera, m8." It's not ideal, sure, but also a bit of a storm in a teacup. People make mistakes. Better this than Nikon and the D600.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.
10-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #1748
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
No, but it's consistent with RIAC's bizarre handling of the K-S1 launch in the USA. I'm talking about the cringe-worthy video of young people frolicking in the water and the fact that they released the John Carlson walk-through video on the wrong day, not to mention that the message of who the camera is aimed at seems to have been distorted from what the Japan material is saying.
10-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #1749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yuck ... just plain awful.

The new "Sweets Collection" ... "Lime Pie", "Strawberry Cake" and "Blue Cream Soda" ...
These cameras could have more potential if you were able to lick the color portion of the camera and taste the flavor in its name. Now that would be a sweet camera!

10-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #1750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
These cameras could have more potential if you were able to lick the color portion of the camera and taste the flavor in its name. Now that would be a sweet camera!

They've tested this. Turns out the KS-1 is a choking hazard. Plus, resale value for previously licked cameras is almost zero.
10-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #1751
Veteran Member

Any company that wants the $100 early-adopter premium...
And is willing to weather the storm of bad reviews on the internet at introduction... reviews that never go away.
10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #1752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
And is willing to weather the storm of bad reviews on the internet at introduction... reviews that never go away.
'Pentax - bad' is the default review. They have to win by more than the margin of prejudice.
10-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #1753
Veteran Member

'Pentax - bad' is the default review. They have to win by more than the margin of prejudice.
I thought the K-5 got great reviews. 35mm Limited was called the best lens ever by some reviewer. Etc, etc, etc. Photozone is pretty unprejudiced in my view. Etc.
10-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #1754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I thought the K-5 got great reviews. 35mm Limited was called the best lens ever by some reviewer. Etc, etc, etc. Photozone is pretty unprejudiced in my view. Etc.
IIRC, every Pentax DSLR has been praised since the K20d.

Mike Johnston, formerly of Photo.net and currently The Online Photographer (and a magazine scribe back in the day) referred to the DA35 Ltd as the best.

I do think there may be some subtle prejudice against Pentax... sometimes reviews are *very* late, Pentax strengths like build quality and better OVF are often mentioned only briefly, almost negligibly - as if a better OVF, your window to the world, is somehow less important that 5 or 6 fps.

And there does seem to be a focus on the negative aspects of the Pentax lens system, because it doesn't directly equate to Canikon. Oh, sure, the criticism can be factual: "Pentax doesn't have an 85/1.2 like Canon!" but you never read "Too bad Nikon doesn't have a beautifully tiny 15/4 like Pentax!"

So, yeah, I think that Pentax has to win by Monochrome's "margin of prejudice"... the prejudice is just not always overt.
10-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #1755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
They've tested this. Turns out the KS-1 is a choking hazard. Plus, resale value for previously licked cameras is almost zero.
How can a suppository be a choking hazard?

Oooooooohhhhh...................................