Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #1741
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I honestly think they ARE interested in the US market, but it is very expensive to sell things here. We're demanding consumers - much more so than other places. We want a perfect product every time, a liberal return policy (like, full money back on demand for no reason) and immediately moan and groan if we don't get what we want. We checkbox-feature compare (as taught by Consumer Reports) and are inveterate negotiators. We want as much as we can get for as little as we can pay. We consider these things our God-given rights and dismiss out-of-hand anyone who says our immediate needs or wants aren't the most important thing on earth (count how many replies it takes someone to say I am crazy). We won't take no for an answer and we're always ready to tell a company how it should make its products, price them, distribute them and service them. We are, after all, Americans. Of course companies should do everything to satisfy every customer because, after all, the customer is always right!! (Whoever coined that phrase should be damned to eternity as a salesman in the USA).

Such behaviors, I have heard, are considered terrifically gauche in other parts of the world.

Again. not to say America isn't an important market. Just to say, at this time, it might be too challenging a market for Ricoh to make money in if they give a full-on effort with all the required marketing elements. So they'll gladly make available the major products they have for sale through a select, self-service channel, but they haven't yet gone out of their way to offer the full line with full service. If they really weren't interested in the US they'd just pull out altogether.

I think maintaining a beachhead is a good indicator of their future interest.
I think it is tough from a consumer standpoint too. When there is no local product to pick up and use, the only option is to buy sight unseen from B and H or Amazon. In that sort of a world, you have to have fairly lenient return policies. I feel very differently about product in a brick and mortar store. If I have picked up a camera at a photo store, take it home and shoot a couple hundred shots and then decide that I don't like the way it feels, that's on me and the store has every right either to not take it back or charge a re-stocking fee.

10-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #1742
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is tough from a consumer standpoint too. When there is no local product to pick up and use, the only option is to buy sight unseen from B and H or Amazon. In that sort of a world, you have to have fairly lenient return policies. I feel very differently about product in a brick and mortar store. If I have picked up a camera at a photo store, take it home and shoot a couple hundred shots and then decide that I don't like the way it feels, that's on me and the store has every right either to not take it back or charge a re-stocking fee.
Those of us like me (and I could assume you) who have an expectation based on experience and observation of what a Pentax camera will feel like and do are more likely to order online - I imagine - than someone totally new to the brand who might have read some decent reviews. Familiarity is a feature!

I just upgraded all five phones (to the 5s) on my Family Plan without even trying to determine if another provider would save me money or give better service. These plans are so maddeningly complex that I can't compare and contrast them effectively. So I just take my 'lickin and move on. Once every two years I go in the store with $500 cash in my jeans, say I want to lower my monthly charge and get new phones and an hour later I leave the store with $500 cash in my jeans, new phones, a new plan and the same monthly charge. A couple days later I call AT&T bound and determined to undo everything I just did - and they cheerfully re-sell me the plan I just signed up for.

I imagine walking in a camera store to buy an interchangeable lens camera is a similar experience.
10-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #1743
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Windows8 was definitely meant for me, and I don't have another choice within Microsoft...
You'll be fine, EJ.

Windoze is meant for tinkerers like us, the settings are there to be changed by anyone who knows how (I refuse to believe your K-3's menus are as they were out of the box). :-D

For a library kiosk, you could always change a registry setting and the interface at startup could be the web browser instead of the desktop.

Install the free utility Classic Shell and enjoy your improved Windows 7.

Or do nothing at all if your machines have touch screens. :-)

---------- Post added 10-07-14 at 07:42 AM ----------

I imagine walking in a camera store to buy an interchangeable lens camera is a similar experience.
Yep, luckily it's a buyer's market. Lots of competing products, all the companies make good cameras.

If a friend comes by with a new Olympus or Panasonic or Canon, my attitude is 'Good on ya, it'll be great.'
10-06-2014, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #1744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
They've changed things. When it came out, I asked the rep if you could have powerpoint, word, matlab, and firefox (actually pale moon) all open and visible on the monitor at the same time.

The answer was no from the rep. He showed me how you could scurry things about and have one thing open and another thing kinda-open at the same time.
You have to jump through some big hoops to something so basic as having two Excel windows open at the same time on your screen. It's maddening that they force everything into tabular display.

10-06-2014, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #1745
Banned

However, traditionalists resent that Ricoh has wasted even a dime of effort on the K-S1, Q (entire line) and everything not black instead of working diligently on the one thing traditionalists want. ;
Practically speaking, they were working on a few technologies that can be shared across cameras, be it new or old in approach. But we are barely seeing any of their major load of work they are planning. Somebody in 2013 said Pentax Russia revealed the 2014 will be the year when Pentax “will unload tons of stuff.” Nah, it does not happen. Or maybe it did, but what was it? Q-S1? K-S1?

That is the problem. Maybe they plan “innovative stuff”, but the approach to marketing / launching / announcement / communication is fairly conservative, shy, so the point of their unique innovativeness is lost. No one sees it, and what other manufacturers present looks better because it does communicate better. Louder.

One reason folks expect FF to come — finally — is because them as users will then compensate with loud shouts across the Internet for all the fearful whispering Ricoh is able to utter during its announcement.
10-06-2014, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #1746
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Somebody in 2013 said Pentax Russia revealed the 2014 will be the year when Pentax “will unload tons of stuff.”
The Russia guys were probably just early (assuming you think there hasn't been enough stuff in 2014 - I mean, 645Z!!).

There's probably a lot of internal stuff to do before the products can be presented - a lot of it might not even be physical stuff, but more business organization, philosophy, structure, etc. Then there came 645Z and the necessity to put effort into lens development to support the unexpected success. Helmuth von Moltke the Elder made famous the (para)phrase, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy." He wrote in more depth, "Strategy is a system of expedients; it is more than a mere scholarly discipline. It is the translation of knowledge to practical life, the improvement of the original leading thought in accordance with continually changing situations".

In other words, the Russians may have been correct at the time they spoke, but things changed.
10-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #1747
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
You have to jump through some big hoops to something so basic as having two Excel windows open at the same time on your screen.

??

Drag the title bars to where you want on your screen, resize as desired, IchabodCrane!

Do you give computer advice to others???

No need to transfer the "Pentax Is Doomed" attitude to everything else in the world!
10-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #1748
Site Supporter

Windows is doomed?

10-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #1749
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
??

Drag the title bars to where you want on your screen, resize as desired, IchabodCrane!

Do you give computer advice to others???

No need to transfer the "Pentax Is Doomed" attitude to everything else in the world!
Sorry to go OT with this one but yes, I know it can be done with. Steps include:

Open both worksheets
Go to "View" menu
Click "View side by side"
Click "Arrange all" button
When dialogue box appears, change radio button from "Horizontal" to "Vertical"
Click "OK" button

I think the disconnect we have is you must have Excel 2013. I have Excel 2010 (company issue) where it's very complicated to create more than one window for multiple file display. In fact, I don't even think Microsoft has formally documented how it's done.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 10-07-2014 at 10:59 AM.
10-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #1750
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote

I think the disconnect we have is you must have Excel 2013.
Ok ... I can see how that could happen! :-)
10-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #1751
Pentaxian

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder made famous the (para)phrase, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy." He wrote in more depth, "Strategy is a system of expedients; it is more than a mere scholarly discipline. It is the translation of knowledge to practical life, the improvement of the original leading thought in accordance with continually changing situations".
Sound like this Helmuth fellow knew his Sun-Tzu "Art of War" quite well.
10-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #1752
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately his nephew c*cked it up in 1914, much to the gratitude of the French. :-D

Last edited by clackers; 10-07-2014 at 08:53 PM.
10-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #1753
Site Supporter

Yuck ... just plain awful.

The new "Sweets Collection" ... "Lime Pie", "Strawberry Cake" and "Blue Cream Soda" ...
10-23-2014, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #1754
Pentaxian

I like them. Fresh, modern.
I hope they use these colours for any forthcoming Pentax full-frame.
Or even add a 645Z to the 'Sweets Collection'.
10-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #1755
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I like them. Fresh, modern.
I hope they use these colours for any forthcoming Pentax full-frame.
Or even add a 645Z to the 'Sweets Collection'.
Yes, I'm disappointed really that the chairman of the board doesn't wear these colours when giving interviews. Elvis would have.