Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 03:05 AM   #1756
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would not buy one of the "Sweets" collection (the kangaroos would probably give me an odd look ), but if they sell in volume in their target markets we traditionalists can only benefit from the effect that should have on end pricing and further product development. But if they built in a Tic Tac dispenser with the lights showing how full it was, I might start to get a bit uneasy.

10-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #1757
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope they use these colours for any forthcoming Pentax full-frame. Or even add a 645Z to the 'Sweets Collection'.
Now that would be something! A giant marshmallow 645Z with pink highlights!
10-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #1758
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Now that would be something! A giant marshmallow 645Z with pink highlights!
If you shut your eyes really hard and wish for it, Na Horuk, it'll happen. (Harp music starts playing)
10-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #1759
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, I'm disappointed really that the chairman of the board doesn't wear these colours when giving interviews. Elvis would have.
No. Elvis would have a gold LX hanging around his neck ... as a teaser for the Unicorn FF that is to come ...

10-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #1760
Marketplace Reseller

I'm surprised none of the hand-wringers at the time of the release are talking about the price drop (and FLU card inclusion!) which happened right on schedule if you paid attention to recent SLR releases. The colors may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is becoming an even more attractive option for beginners/style conscious casual shooters.
10-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #1761
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'm surprised none of the hand-wringers at the time of the release are talking about the price drop (and FLU card inclusion!) which happened right on schedule if you paid attention to recent SLR releases. The colors may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is becoming an even more attractive option for beginners/style conscious casual shooters.
I think this is proving those who thought the camera was wrongly priced were correct. Who drops the price of a product by $100 only a couple weeks after it was really available for purchase?
10-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #1762
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think this is proving those who thought the camera was wrongly priced were correct. Who drops the price of a product by $100 only a couple weeks after it was really available for purchase?
Any company that wants the $100 early-adopter premium.

And we say Ricoh doesn't market. BAH!!
10-23-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #1763
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

+1 Or maybe they realized they made a mistake, and made a correction - not that we would ever give them credit for doing so.

Now they need a PF-themed color set: Sour Grapes, Stewed Prunes, "Blowing" Raspberry, Everything-is-Black, Blacker, Blackest...

10-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #1764
Pentaxian

These camera will stand up in a crowded market . Go Pentax, I am sure they will be well accepted in Japan , their main market. The demographic for sure are Japanese women. Nothing wrong and it's good marketing. Pentax is not alone doing this
Here some smartphone color for Japan
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=36769
10-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #1765
Site Supporter

We both know if Ricoh thought they'd get the $100 early adopter tax, they'd at least try to collect it for a few months. They didn't even give it a few weeks which tells me they figured out they weren't getting it anyway.
10-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #1766
Lens Buying Addict

We both know if Ricoh thought they'd get the $100 early adopter tax, they'd at least try to collect it for a few months. They didn't even give it a few weeks which tells me they figured out they weren't getting it anyway.
I'm much more upset about the bonehead marketing email photo than I am about a pricing decision that has unknown (to me) inputs. But given that I know a nightly news producer, I also understand the nightly question from PA's: "Should I ask to shoot B-Roll, buy B-roll or just Google something we can use for free?" Thankfully, only options one and two are ever considered.

You'd think if they were going to use something stock and shop it they would have started with a better base image. Probably a contract job, maybe even from the Japanese product managers.
10-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #1767
Site Supporter

I'm much more upset about the bonehead marketing email photo than I am about a pricing decision that has unknown (to me) inputs. But given that I know a nightly news producer, I also understand the nightly question from PA's: "Should I ask to shoot B-Roll, buy B-roll or just Google something we can use for free?" Thankfully, only options one and two are ever considered.

You'd think if they were going to use something stock and shop it they would have started with a better base image. Probably a contract job, maybe even from the Japanese product managers.
You're right, it's disturbing and really causes people to wonder how serious they are about this business. If the stated intention is to be "a dominant player in the ILC camera business" (or whatever it was they said), is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
10-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #1768
Pentaxian

You're right, it's disturbing and really causes people to wonder how serious they are about this business. If the stated intention is to be "a dominant player in the ILC camera business" (or whatever it was they said), is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
To be fair, the p'shopped picture is way below their usual standards, at least judging by all the other images of Pentax gear on the Ricoh UK and EU sites which have the kind of high-quality product photography one would expect. Even the first round of the ghastly Sweetie stuff had high-quality images of cakes and teatime tables, etc. For all we know, those too are p'shopped but better stock images but we haven't yet twigged (I doubt this is so in most cases, however). In my view, there weren't nearly enough cakes in the pictures. They should have laid it on with a few treble-decker cake stands. I won't be buying this camera myself, as a lonely protest against Ricoh's apparent prejudice against anyone who likes cake enough to want more of it and then more of it again.

Perhaps they just dug ye "it looks good enough" image for the email campaign and someone never stopped to ask a few obvious questions, like "Hello, this is a camera company we are promoting, you do need top-of-the-line images if you want to sell a camera, m8." It's not ideal, sure, but also a bit of a storm in a teacup. People make mistakes. Better this than Nikon and the D600.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.
10-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #1769
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
is this Photoshop hack consistent with that intention?
No, but it's consistent with RIAC's bizarre handling of the K-S1 launch in the USA. I'm talking about the cringe-worthy video of young people frolicking in the water and the fact that they released the John Carlson walk-through video on the wrong day, not to mention that the message of who the camera is aimed at seems to have been distorted from what the Japan material is saying.
10-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #1770
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yuck ... just plain awful.

The new "Sweets Collection" ... "Lime Pie", "Strawberry Cake" and "Blue Cream Soda" ...
These cameras could have more potential if you were able to lick the color portion of the camera and taste the flavor in its name. Now that would be a sweet camera!