Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Are you sure about that? It's sad news if true. I know the pentaprism is much heavier than a pentamirror, but I'm still hoping for some substantial weight savings.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

K-x isn't a heavy camera. The lenses are going to be heavier than the body a lot of time. They could make it use smaller batteries, but do you really want that? I think there's this strange focus on just the numbers alone instead of the actual usability that really bothers me these days. Like manufacture's push for thinner and thinner phones or bigger and bigger screens. There's a point where I wish the phone would be 1mm thicker so I can get another day of battery life or something.

08-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #167
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't see much applause. Much more skepticism
I see it as half and half. I was personally hoping it was a joke, but I'm glad that other people like it (if it's real).
08-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #168
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Compare camera dimensions side by side

K-x isn't a heavy camera. The lenses are going to be heavier than the body a lot of time. They could make it use smaller batteries, but do you really want that? I think there's this strange focus on just the numbers alone instead of the actual usability that really bothers me these days. Like manufacture's push for thinner and thinner phones or bigger and bigger screens. There's a point where I wish the phone would be 1mm thicker so I can get another day of battery life or something.
Hm, in my experience, ~150 grams may mean the difference between leaving the camera at home or taking it with me. There are a couple of lenses that weigh less than that amount for Pentax. I carried a K-30 with 18-135WR and an old, all-metal Tamron 70-200 f/4 in my last vacation, and to be honest, I managed well - but wouldn't carry anything else on top of that. And that's a shame, because if I started shaving a little weight here and there, I could've brought a couple of primes as well. My point is, Ricoh would do very well to release a competent, lightweight and compact body with all their traditional advantages.

But that's just my view.
08-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #169
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hah hah - no matter what they do there's always somebody who wants something else.

08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #170
Site Supporter

I wonder if the row of front LEDs have a "marquee" mode and color choice?

Steve
08-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Hm, in my experience, ~150 grams may mean the difference between leaving the camera at home or taking it with me.
wow, 150 grams is 5 oz, about the weight of a big mac.
08-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hm, in my experience, ~150 grams may mean the difference between leaving the camera at home or taking it with me. There are a couple of lenses that weigh less than that amount for Pentax. I carried a K-30 with 18-135WR and an old, all-metal Tamron 70-200 f/4 in my last vacation, and to be honest, I managed well - but wouldn't carry anything else on top of that. And that's a shame, because if I started shaving a little weight here and there, I could've brought a couple of primes as well. My point is, Ricoh would do very well to release a competent, lightweight and compact body with all their traditional advantages.

But that's just my view.
Well, if you want IS, if it's not in body you have to shift the weight to the lenses which means lenses will be larger while you waste the space available in the body. So unless you forgo the feature, there's little difference I think.
08-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #173
Site Supporter

The grip looks to be somewhat useless.

I suspect this is one of those concept projects so common for design students. Sort of like the digital Holga concept.

Steve

08-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #174
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
wow, 150 grams is 5 oz, about the weight of a big mac.
And there's no way I'm leaving my Big Mac at home! :P
08-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #175
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Or maybe I just need a little time?
A little bit of wine might be more effective.

Steve

(...perhaps a lot of wine...)

---------- Post added 08-19-14 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
First, designing and building anything is not free.
Yep...obviously no money went into the design on this one.

Steve
08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #176
KX5
Forum Member

Replacement of K-01

Interesting design but nothing about the sensor. It will probably work with a 24MP and a new SAFOX AF.
I m exited to see the full specifications @ Photokina in september!
08-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #177
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
i think they are going for small and light...

k-s1 vs k500 size comparison
Looks like somebody got a little slap-happy with the band saw.

Steve
08-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not so sure about the LED lights, but I bet they could be disabled in the settings. Outside of that, I think it looks cool, and would look really sweet with a 40mm on it. The real important thing here (if it's even real), is -- will it perform? If it gets the job done, then I bet the "looks" will be a little easier to digest for people. And I'm the last person to say that looks don't matter when it comes to gear. I'm a PC Modder, and have spent an inordinate amount of time cutting/painting/soldering/etc on a computer, none of which has a lick of impact either way on performance. But we use these devices everyday, and that means we're always looking at them - -so they should look nice to us. Like I said, I think the look is pretty cool, and if it performs, well that hopefully means it will land in the hands of lots of people, which could drive development on other gear.

It will be what it will be.
08-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #179
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Instead of being water proof, this model squirts water at the subject. It is also the first mirror/less hybrid: the mirror reflects light into the photosensor for the EVF, which in turn rotates downwards in order to put the sensor in photography position (and incidentally, the hyrdaulic bladder used to actuate this serves as the water spritzer).

Also, a novel mechanism for the batteries and memory cards: when unloading, new ones keep coming out of the body for what seems like minutes... this is all part of the Clown mode.

ROFL!!!

Steve
08-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm surprised by the overall negative response.

This design seems to be seriously compact and has a nice (French inspired?) aesthetics to it. Remove the ugly kit lens and put an FA 43 on it, and I'm sure it will look great. I like the original thinking behind the new mode dial. Makes much more sense than cramming it in somewhere on the top plate.

It is obviously targeted to a young generation and while I personally think that someone at Pentax is colour-blind (in particular the blue "OK" button pushes it over the edge of "tasteful"), maybe all these colours will contribute to making it a hit amongst youngsters.

I don't see why this camera should not have as good as it gets ergonomics for a camera of this size and overall it makes much more sense to me than the K-01.
+1 or rather, +10000000000000000000000

This is forum is really disconnected from realities sometimes
You want Ricoh to gain money to invest into that Full Frame you keep asking for ?

Geeez