Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Superzoom 2014: Conclusions and Winners

[Note to Pentax fans: We requested but did not receive a Pentax X-G1]

It's the shame...

10-26-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #1847
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Would you choose your wedding photographer based on the camera that they used?
Would you choose a good wedding photographer that's familiar with Nikon/Canon, hand them a bunch of Pentax gear a couple of days before the wedding, and be utterly confident that when the big moment comes that they'll be able to capture it?
Do you pick restaurants based on the knives that they use?

Very few (if any) ad agencies have photographers on staff. Usually, they'll put the photography part of any ad campaign out to bid or will choose from among the photographers that they have solid working relationships with and who shoot in the genre and style required. Creative directors will evaluate photographer portfolios to find the ones that fit the budget and fit the style/genre desired for that particular campaign. To require that the photographer shoot Pentax has a number of implications:

- it takes more time for the creative team to find a photographer that meets that criteria
- if one is found but is not local, there are additional logistics issues
- if one is not a Pentax photog but is given equipment to use, there is a learning curve which the photographer will want to charge for

Each of these takes more time and costs more money.

Or, if by chance there is a local photog that shoots Pentax but perhaps is not as good or creative as other photographers, does Ricoh and the agency choose them because of the gear but knowing they'll end up with inferior photos?

Ultimately, how many of the tens of thousands of people that buy Pentax cameras and lenses every year care about this?
John this is all fine when you sell cars or anything, find a driver that can show the merits of the new product. When you sell camera's then you use them. If not there is simply a lack of believing in your own product wich wil lead to loosing customers. When you hire a photographer (wich they did for the add of the K-3, the dancing images) that doesn't use Pentax for his work......Ulimately your message is: With Pentax K-3 you can make great images, but if you want to be the great photographer that I am then you better buy Canon (or Nikon).

---------- Post added 26-10-14 at 21:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
And here's the Ricoh FB page "photo of the week" ... taken with a Q-S1 ... They can showcase users' images, but not their own images ... bizarre, no?!
There is nothing wrong with the concept of user images. I also entered an image for that a few weeks ago. This has nothing to do with the portfolio of the company. They also ask people of the PPG to use images. I know on one occasion that this gave some trouble because of rights, since comercial use wasn't aranged in advance by the hobby photographer.
10-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #1848
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
work......Ulimately your message is: With Pentax K-3 you can make great images, but if you want to be the great photographer that I am then you better buy Canon (or Nikon)
Ron, IMHO if Canon made an ad for the 5D shot with a Pentax 645Z, they'd be being practical rather than stubbornly principled.

The CEO of McDonalds shouldn't exist on a diet of cheesebugers. :-D
10-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #1849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ron, IMHO if Canon made an ad for the 5D shot with a Pentax 645Z, they'd be being practical rather than stubbornly principled.
That wil NEVER happen with Canon, they are very strickt on those things.

10-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #1850
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That wil NEVER happen with Canon, they are very strickt on those things.
So you admire that in a company, Ron, the rigid discipline over pragmatism?
10-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #1851
Pentaxian

The CEO of McDonalds shouldn't exist on a diet of cheesebugers. :-D
I agree, but I see that as a critique of McD. I am suspicious of vegetarian butchers.
10-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #1852
Pentaxian

So you admire that in a company, Ron, the rigid discipline over pragmatism?
The rigid isn't my favorite, but I'm very aware of the things I would out about my business.
10-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #1853
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I agree, but I see that as a critique of McD. I am suspicious of vegetarian butchers.
Supersize me, NH! :-)

10-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #1854
Pentaxian

I e-mailed Jim Malcolm last Friday expressing my disappointment in seeing the photoshopped KS-1 sweets e-mail. Within about 2 hours, I received a follow-up e-mail from Mr. Malcom's assistant to schedule a time that he could call me. This all happened before the apology e-mail came out.

Quite an extrordinary response from a company President, in my view.

Mr. Malcom said my reaction which I wrote about in my e-mail (sadness and embarassment) was akin to his when he first saw the photo ad. He said he was sickened by it. He apologized to me, and as a proxy of sorts for all Pentaxians. He is making changes to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

He asked about my photography interests, and products I wished Pentax would produce. In response to my wish for some faster lenses, he indicated they are coming, refering to the under glass mock-ups shown last month. And he spoke of "S" line of products and how they are targeted to a non-Pentaxian audience. We talked about B&M dealers, and my experience of learning about and buying a Pentax camera, because I handled a K200D in a store, and their efforts to (re)establish dealer connections.

He is clearly passionate about the business and wants to keep abreast of what the user community is saying. He thanked me for writing to him, and encouraged me to continue to do so, both for good and bad Pentax experiences.
10-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #1855
Veteran Member

Very impressive response, especially considering how many issues he must have been dealing with last week. I'm looking forward to where Pentax goes from here.
10-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #1856
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
He is clearly passionate about the business and wants to keep abreast of what the user community is saying. He thanked me for writing to him, and encouraged me to continue to do so, both for good and bad Pentax experiences.
I've had my conversations with Jim Malcolm, and with others in Denver off and on.

This response not only isn't unusual - it's the norm for Jim. He really does want to know the market, he has a vision, he's frustrated by how deeply angry the Dealer community still is post-Hoya - but he believes he can achieve the intermediate-term term goals Ricoh has laid down and in the long term vision.

Adam pointed out they're doing better and Adam is correct. It is unfortunate that something simple and small like this can seem like such a large setback, but that's where they are right now. Even I, the Plan guy, get discouraged by things like the Giant Woman - but in a few weeks we won't remember, and next spring we'll be talking about something else giant, I think.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #1857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've had my conversations with Jim Malcolm, and with others in Denver off and on.

This response not only isn't unusual - it's the norm for Jim. He really does want to know the market, he has a vision, he's frustrated by how deeply angry the Dealer community still is post-Hoya - but he believes he can achieve the intermediate-term term goals Ricoh has laid down and in the long term vision.

Adam pointed out they're doing better and Adam is correct. It is unfortunate that something simple and small like this can seem like such a large setback, but that's where they are right now. Even I, the Plan guy, get discouraged by things like the Giant Woman - but in a few weeks we won't remember, and next spring we'll be talking about something else giant, I think.
I wonder how many hobbiest level (like me), or even important and talented members of fujiforums or canonforums or nikonforums or whateverforum can say they emailed the company with a concern and got an invitation to talk with the company president*. Within 2 hours.

My guess is very few if not zero.

Mr. Malcolm's frame of reference when he spoke about what he sees ahead for RIAC was definately longer term. He noted that projects were put on hold for the 645Z project and now they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

And then he said that resources that were devoted to the 645Z development are now working on the next BIG thing. I may have been projecting, but it seemed like he emphasized the word BIG as though it had more than the usual meaning. I won't speculate further.

* Malcolm's LinkedIn profile lists him as RIAC President as of October, 2014. Prior, he was Executive VP. The mothership must consider things are going well.
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #1858
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I wonder how many hobbiest level (like me), or even important and talented members of fujiforums or canonforums or nikonforums or whateverforum can say they emailed the company with a concern and got an invitation to talk with the company president*. Within 2 hours.

My guess is very few if not zero.

Mr. Malcolm's frame of reference when he spoke about what he sees ahead for RIAC was definately longer term. He noted that projects were put on hold for the 645Z project and now they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

And then he said that resources that were devoted to the 645Z development are now working on the next BIG thing. I may have been projecting, but it seemed like he emphasized the word BIG as though it had more than the usual meaning. I won't speculate further.

* Malcolm's LinkedIn profile lists him as RIAC President as of October, 2014. Prior, he was Executive VP. The mothership must consider things are going well.
Zero. That's exactly what I was thinking, too.

...although I'm upset because he didn't approve my linkedin request.
10-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #1859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Best Superzoom 2014: Conclusions and Winners

[Note to Pentax fans: We requested but did not receive a Pentax X-G1]

It's the shame...
Perhaps Pentax knew the X-G1 would be outclassed by the better superzooms...
10-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Perhaps Pentax knew the X-G1 would be outclassed by the better superzooms...
Maybe not the reason but the conclusion is , IMO, right.