Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #541
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe "younger generation" camera is better. Nontraditional in many ways, hence the negative reaction from those who prefer a more familiar shape. But that works the other way for people who do not want their camera to look like it was built in 1980. Other consumer products change styling over time, cars for example, or clothing both seem to change every year. It makes it easy to spot those that are no longer in style. Cameras have lagged in this quite a bit and not really changed much in years.
Ricoh was derided for all the colors on k-30 / k-50 and the Q, got lots of negative press over the styling of the k-01, but they keep pushing the envelope. I wonder what the reaction would have been to this camera had they not shown the LED lights lit up. Most of the negatives seem to be about those. I'm not a fan either, but then this camera was not designed for me. It appears to be intended for a younger or at least nontraditional target market, and that is a very good thing. Just one more example of Ricoh finding a place that Canon and Nikon are not and putting a product there. Little cut here, little cut there and suddenly the unbeatable giant is bleeding to death without ever noticing it. Of course it takes a lot of cuts and you have avoid getting smashed by the giant all the while.........
I think when people actually see the camera in reality, they'll wonder what the fuss was about. When you look at it objectively, the differences from any other small DSLR are pretty minor.

My K-01 is the black one. The K-01 only sticks out if you line it up with other cameras, but when you put it next to other objects out there in the real world, it doesn't look strange at all. In fact, my K20D attracted comments from friends and acquaintances, whereas I've never had anyone comment on my K-01. It just looks more "normal" in the real world. I picked up a D810 the other day. It just feels like a power tool - to be stored in the shed, not the house. I'm not criticising that kind of pure functional design, but it does look out of place in a lot of settings.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Remember my post after they'll publish the official specs.
OK. Don't expect me to be too cut up if I'm wrong though. I often am! I do want to believe that they have a good model coming between this and the K-3, like that rumour suggested.

08-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #542
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The AF points count can be deduced from the published images - same 11 points layout; and it makes sense to reuse an existing AF module.
If true, to me that's a major bummer. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are all making very good mirrorless cameras with top-notch auto-focus. Sony has already migrated the AF tech from the A6000 "down" to the A5100. I think Pentax should migrate the improved AF from the K-3 downward as fast as possible, and release those rumored lenses with faster AF motors on the double...
08-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #543
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact that it is a completely different chassis from the K-50, when the rumor says it is the same is a clear miss. The claim that it is "retro" is a clear miss.

Every leak about the K-S1 indicates it is an entry level camera, not a mid-level one. Clear miss.

Also, echoing Kunzite, Every non-pro Pentax camera comes in multiple colors, so no surprise there.

Again, the only defining spec that is clearly shared between the rumored cam and this one is the Mp count. Yeah, we get it, you want to have the "scoop" on this one, but you are hanging your hat on a single spec. Color me unconvinced.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Unless you've seen more information than me, all the misses you point out are just specs we don't know yet. AA filter, Wi-Fi and AF module were not among the information posted on digicame-info. The only clear miss in the French information is weather sealing. The non-WR lens in the pictures strongly implies the camera is not sealed.

Also, we don't know it's an entry-level camera. Do you think it'll be cheaper than the K-50? I think it'll be around the same price.
08-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #544
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
OK. Don't expect me to be too cut up if I'm wrong though. I often am! I do want to believe that they have a good model coming between this and the K-3, like that rumour suggested.
I'm not expecting such things; when I feel I can guess accurately I'll try hinting about it - that's all Your question was perfectly reasonable.

I do believe there will be an intermediary model in the not so far future, but don't know when. If the already leaked K-S1 will be announced soon, there's time for another model at Photokina... but, who knows?
However, I would not put any weight in that guessing game - I'm expecting an intermediary model, but not that "KL".

08-22-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #545
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
If true, to me that's a major bummer. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are all making very good mirrorless cameras with top-notch auto-focus. Sony has already migrated the AF tech from the A6000 "down" to the A5100. I think Pentax should migrate the improved AF from the K-3 downward as fast as possible, and release those rumored lenses with faster AF motors on the double...
K-S1 looks to be more focused on fun and ease of use. It might actually be Ricoh/Pentax version of a digital K1000 that many have asked for.
08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #546
Pentaxian

I understand what you're saying, but before that Pentax will have to launch a K-3 successor with an even better AF.
I hope we'll see such lenses.
08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #547
Pentaxian

Mirrorless has a major advantage here tho. Contrast detect and Phase Detect on chip can all be implemented in software with very little concern for tolerances or calibration. It costs almost nothing to offer similar performance in lower end models. That's not true of SLRs. The K-3's AF system is complex, and that complexity is expensive. It's not just Pentax either, anyone making SLRs today faces a similar economic problem. A "cheap" SLR has a correspondingly cheap AF system.

The demos I've seen with the A6000 are truly impressive, and it's eclipsed all but the very best of SLR AF systems and their huge price tags for such performance.
08-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #548
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It does not appear to be a geek camera. Hipster camera perhaps, but definitely not geek.

Steve
Don't forget the leds, unless no advanced function is attached to them
But otherwise ok.

08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #549

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Mirrorless has a major advantage here tho. Contrast detect and Phase Detect on chip can all be implemented in software with very little concern for tolerances or calibration. It costs almost nothing to offer similar performance in lower end models. That's not true of SLRs. The K-3's AF system is complex, and that complexity is expensive. It's not just Pentax either, anyone making SLRs today faces a similar economic problem. A "cheap" SLR has a correspondingly cheap AF system.

The demos I've seen with the A6000 are truly impressive, and it's eclipsed all but the very best of SLR AF systems and their huge price tags for such performance.
A6000 autofocus looks impressive on paper, but in reality, it's missing around 80% of action shots.
Maybe I am more familiar with K5 but I have similar results with it's continous autofocus (using af back button).
The only real advantage of A6000 is more fps so it definitely have more successfull action shots per second than k5.
08-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #550
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

Most SLR AF systems are sunk cost already meaning their economic burden was paid for generations ago. That is why the margins on DSLRs are so easily won while mirrorless struggles to deliver on the price/performance expectation.

I tried a Fuji XT-1 today. The jumpy, hesitant EVF is not there yet for me.
08-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #551
Pentaxian

MILC's focus speed is way over hyped imo. It's no where as fast as they want you to believe in regular usage situation; the numbers are more true in test environments.
08-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #552
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
And Kodak has a Pixpro S1...
Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon 1 S1
08-22-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Most SLR AF systems are sunk cost already meaning their economic burden was paid for generations ago. That is why the margins on DSLRs are so easily won while mirrorless struggles to deliver on the price/performance expectation.

I tried a Fuji XT-1 today. The jumpy, hesitant EVF is not there yet for me.

The costs are not "sunk." It's the precision to make an SLR work properly. That takes quality control, which is very expensive. There are at least 4 different optical paths for an SLR to work properly. The one you actually see, the one to the meter, the one to the AF module, and the one that overlays data. If any of them are out of alignment, the camera is harder to use -- and low end SLRs from every manufacture are plagued by disgruntled customers -- and always will be because the high precision needed for a excellent AF in a dSLR is expensive.

People here can deny it all they want, but phase detect on chip is much simpler to implement (it's the exact same thing an SLR uses without a bunch of mirrors and prisms in the light path). and the ship has already sailed on low end AF performance, and that's really got nothing to do with your preference of finder.
08-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #554
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
MILC's focus speed is way over hyped imo. It's no where as fast as they want you to believe in regular usage situation; the numbers are more true in test environments.
I have more faith in the A7's AF than the K-5 (admittedly four years old now).

YMMV. I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #555
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
Not sure about this - I have the K-5 IIs and the K-3, and the K-3's centre spot seems smaller to me. At least, I get more shots in focus.