Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #556
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I have more faith in the A7's AF than the K-5 (admittedly four years old now).

YMMV. I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
No the center point is much smaller with K-3, one of the reasons I upgraded from K-5.

08-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #557
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
I know it's smaller, it just didn't seem to be the size of the Nikon's, e.g., when we spoke about it before.
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #558
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
A6000 autofocus looks impressive on paper, but in reality, it's missing around 80% of action shots.
Maybe I am more familiar with K5 but I have similar results with it's continous autofocus (using af back button).
The only real advantage of A6000 is more fps so it definitely have more successfull action shots per second than k5.
Well, time today brings in so many cameras, and at such a fast rate, and we tend to change them so quickly that we forget how to use photographic tools. If the insane continuous shooting mode is the way to obtain a well focused photograph, then as a species we have gone back several millennia.
We became believers in what papers say, and have thrown our own experience through the airlock.
08-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #559
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If the insane continuous shooting mode is the way to obtain a well focused photograph, then as a species we have gone back several millennia.
Several millenia? AF-C was terrible back in the day, which is why you never see any pictures of the aliens that built the pyramids. I assure you that current autofocus systems outperform those hieroglyph+papyrus based systems.

08-22-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #560
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Well, time today brings in so many cameras, and at such a fast rate, and we tend to change them so quickly that we forget how to use photographic tools. If the insane continuous shooting mode is the way to obtain a well focused photograph, then as a species we have gone back several millennia.
We became believers in what papers say, and have thrown our own experience through the airlock.
This is why even though Jared Polin can be a complete tool, he actually does spout useful advice, like learning how to anticipate the moment. he runs a D4s but doens't take advantage of the high shutter speed.

Something I learned running a D800 at weddings and live music shows is anticipating the moment. I don't got the buffer size or the shutter speed to spray and pray. I also don't got the memory cards or hard drive space to sit there and go go go. Stupid camera is almost like shooting film with the size of those files, but I digress.

It seems things like this are lost on the current generation of young photographers. Everyone needs to at least once a week every few months turn around and just shoot film. You can get a K1000 with an 50mm f2.0 on Kijiji almost anytime of year for $50, buy it, throw the digital in your closet, go out and get back to basics. It's amazing how much I my photography improves when I give myself an analog reminder.
08-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #561
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
I don't even know where to start understanding how the conversation went from MILC AF is overhyped to K-5 can't compete with A7 to K-3's center AF is similar size as K-5 to K-3 is smaller than K-5 but inferior to Nikon...
08-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #562
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,182
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Wouldn't a hipster likely prefer a K1000? Or is "hipster" becoming something else?
Both are equally effective as hip items and rank right up there with tube nose piercings.


Steve

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 04:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
K-S1 looks to be more focused on fun and ease of use. It might actually be Ricoh/Pentax version of a digital K1000 that many have asked for.
A K1000 was and is not particularly easy to use. Straightforward...yes. Easy...no.

I would consider the K-S1 to be the digital successor to this worthy item from the past. They even sport a similar look.




Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-22-2014 at 04:12 PM.
08-22-2014, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #563
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I don't even know where to start understanding how the conversation went from MILC AF is overhyped to K-5 can't compete with A7 to K-3's center AF is similar size as K-5 to K-3 is smaller than K-5 but inferior to Nikon...
Every camera has it's role, and people often forget that there is not one great camera that will solve everyones problems. You can find fault in every device be it a camera or a car, what works for someone wont work for someone else.

This is why I have a D800, K3, and K5. I use them all regularly, and love them all in different ways. One is not superior to the other in my opinion, they are all just better at different things.

08-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #564
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,182
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I don't even know where to start understanding how the conversation went from MILC AF is overhyped to K-5 can't compete with A7 to K-3's center AF is similar size as K-5 to K-3 is smaller than K-5 but inferior to Nikon...
It is the Pentax Forums way...without drift there no certainty of direction...


Steve

(...or something mystical like that...)
08-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #565
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both are equally effective as hip items and rank right up there with tube nose piercings.


Steve

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 04:10 PM ----------



A K1000 was and is not particularly easy to use. Straightforward...yes. Easy...no.

I would consider the K-S1 to be the digital successor to this worthy item from the past. They even sport a similar look.




Steve
what is this pretty camera, and how do I get one without my wife smacking me over the head with it?!
08-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #566
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 378
Pentax A3000. My mother use to have one, but I like the K1000 SE or the ME Super better. So when will they leak the photos of the new FF?
08-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #567
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,576
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
No the center point is much smaller with K-3, one of the reasons I upgraded from K-5.
I don't know about 'smaller', but the K-3 certainly has a greater AF 'point' density than the K-5: 27 'points' overall vs 11, more cross-type AF 'points' (25 vs 9), and the three K-3 centre 'points' are particularly sensitive.



It does seem to make a difference. Behind the scenes I think the K-3 AF also makes use of more data from the metering sensor than the K-5 did. Some of the K-3 AF.C algorithms also are more evolved.
08-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #568
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,182
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
what is this pretty camera, and how do I get one without my wife smacking me over the head with it?!
You might be able to get one on eBay. There are not many survivors though. My understanding is that the built in motorized film advance was not very robust. Modes are limited to P, X, and B with exposure comp available. DX encoding only for setting the film speed.


Steve
08-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #569
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,293
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might be able to get one on eBay. There are not many survivors though. My understanding is that the built in motorized film advance was not very robust. Modes are limited to P, X, and B with exposure comp available. DX encoding only for setting the film speed.


Steve
Non-DX film defaults to ISO 100.

They show up on shopgoodwill from time to time, though not as frequently as the ME, K1000, or P3. One was listed today.
08-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #570
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: East Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 775
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't know about 'smaller', but the K-3 certainly has a greater AF 'point' density than the K-5: 27 'points' overall vs 11, more cross-type AF 'points' (25 vs 9), and the three K-3 centre 'points' are particularly sensitive.

It does seem to make a difference. Behind the scenes I think the K-3 AF also makes use of more data from the metering sensor than the K-5 did. Some of the K-3 AF.C algorithms also are more evolved.
Maybe they are using the adjacent AF points to figure out you are outside of center point a bit quicker than K-5 (due to denser AF points) that makes it at least feel smaller. On K5 it felt like anything within the proximity of the center circle area counts.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, care, colour, design, ff, flash, format, iso, k-01, k-3, k3, kit, kit lens, leds, lens, level, look, medium, pentax, pentax k-s1, pentax news, pentax rumors, performance, price, scheme, steve, value
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Thoughts on the K-01 and Mirrorless From Pentax Biro Pentax Mirrorless Cameras 108 06-25-2014 03:20 PM
Mirrorless K-Mount Camera Joshua A Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 08-22-2013 04:28 AM
K-mount mirrorless....FF RonHendriks1966 Pentax Full Frame 13 05-28-2013 03:13 PM
Waiting on my first mirrorless: K-01! Penta Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-30-2013 05:49 AM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top