Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #571

The Pentax kit lens (18-55) would have to be one of the ugliest out there. This camera would look great with a nice Limited Prime on the front. The green ring would compliment the camera nicely.

08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #572
mee
Veteran Member

Yet IQ-wise isn't it one of the best?
08-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
The Pentax kit lens (18-55) would have to be one of the ugliest out there. This camera would look great with a nice Limited Prime on the front. The green ring would compliment the camera nicely.
The Limiteds now have red rings.

Personally, I think Pentax should dump the 18-55 and use either the DA 35/2.4 or DA 50/1.8 as the "kit" lens, along with the DA 18-135 as an option.

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not really. Both Canon and Nikon reformulated their kit lenses a couple years ago, and they at the very least keep pace with the Pentax model. Both of Fuji's kit lenses seem to be better, too.
08-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #574
Veteran Member

According to PhotoRumors, this will have many colors:

Flickr link

08-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #575
Veteran Member

Canon's new STM 18-55 would mop the floor with it. plus it has silent AF with full time manual override. Pentax needs to update or kill the 18-55s
08-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #576
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Canon's new STM 18-55 would mop the floor with it. plus it has silent AF with full time manual override. Pentax needs to update or kill the 18-55s
They'll never kill the 18-55's for APS-C it is too standard a focal range. Maybe we can get an upgrade then? I always thought the kit lens was pretty decent.. esp stopped down.

Looks like the STM version is 50 bucks more than the Pentax though and no Weather Sealing.. so some tradeoffs.

Would be nice to have a quieter lineup of lenses though I think... the screw drive is pretty loud... the DC motor on the 18-135, while not silent, is light years ahead of the screwdrive system. Surprised they don't stick a DC motor in all of them...
08-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They'll never kill the 18-55's for APS-C it is too standard a focal range. Maybe we can get an upgrade then? I always thought the kit lens was pretty decent.. esp stopped down.

Looks like the STM version is 50 bucks more than the Pentax though and no Weather Sealing.. so some tradeoffs.

Would be nice to have a quieter lineup of lenses though I think... the screw drive is pretty loud... the DC motor on the 18-135, while not silent, is light years ahead of the screwdrive system. Surprised they don't stick a DC motor in all of them...
Canon's kit lens used to be pretty damn awful, yucky optics and poor build quality. Nikon's original 18-55 had decent enough optics, but again the build quality was abysmal. Pentax's first-gen kit lens had competitive optics and good build quality, so those attributes plus a little Pentax fanboyism led to the "best kit lens in the industry" talk.

I said in another post that I think Pentax should make the DA 35/2.4 or the DA 50/1.8 the new kit lens (I'd choose the 35)... c'mon Pentax, dare to be different.

08-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Canon's kit lens used to be pretty damn awful, yucky optics and poor build quality. Nikon's original 18-55 had decent enough optics, but again the build quality was abysmal. Pentax's first-gen kit lens had competitive optics and good build quality, so those attributes plus a little Pentax fanboyism led to the "best kit lens in the industry" talk.

I said in another post that I think Pentax should make the DA 35/2.4 or the DA 50/1.8 the new kit lens (I'd choose the 35)... c'mon Pentax, dare to be different.
if they made a 17mm prime, and sold a 17/35/50 prime kit- that would be killer for experienced shooters on the cheap
08-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #579
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
I don't think Limited primes are the first glass the intended market for this camera is looking to have as a kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
The 18-55 WR is still by large the most inexpensive weather-sealed lens out there, in addition to having good IQ and full-time manual. Adding a DC motor to it would probably tip the scales back to Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think there was a time when the DA 35 f2.4 was offered as a kit in different colors, I just can't remember what model.... K-r I think? (and only in Japan)
08-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #580
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

Flickr link
Wow. I like the moon silver version and the midnight black. That neon side grip is funky!
08-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #581
Pentaxian

I think this is aimed at somewhere around my demographic, hyperactive teens and people in their low 20s. AKA the demographic most likely to be under the influence of alcohol or marijuana; the ones most attracted to shiny LEDs

Seriously though I think the body is ok, the lens just makes it look kinda funky.

And I mean for those saying it looks better than the k-01, I'm 20 and absolutely love the look of my k-01, and really don't like the generic black box look of most DSLRs today. So I think Pentax moving to a smaller more modern and "hip" design might be more worthwhile, almost an attempt to make a camera a fashion accessory. Now all we need are stylish neckstraps and good looking camera bags that doesn't cost 300 dollars.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-23-2014 at 01:52 AM.
08-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #582
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
My opinion on the Pentax K-S1 design.. better than the K-01, but not as good as the K-30. The K-30 was in the right direction with a fluidic design. The only thing I didn't care for on the K-30 was that the Pentax badge was slanting down.
Agree with you - I think the k50 was a step back in that regard. Also, this may sound like nitpicking, but I adore the all black matte shutter release button on the k30 and k5/k3 - they decided to put the other one on the k50 (silver middle) - don't much care for it.
08-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #583
Veteran Member

Linen Brown! Midnight black!! Dawn Purple! Wow hahaha, I am impressed! Pentax seriously needs to stop showing this camera with the kit lens and start pumping out photos with (matching) DA 35mm and limiteds. The kit lens looks good on a K-r, but not on this sleek little monster
08-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
MILC's focus speed is way over hyped imo. It's no where as fast as they want you to believe in regular usage situation; the numbers are more true in test environments.
Nikon 1 AF is not hype. It's the real deal. I'd likely trust it as much or more than the K-3 to get the shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Well, time today brings in so many cameras, and at such a fast rate, and we tend to change them so quickly that we forget how to use photographic tools. If the insane continuous shooting mode is the way to obtain a well focused photograph, then as a species we have gone back several millennia.
We became believers in what papers say, and have thrown our own experience through the airlock.
Millennia? LOL. Maybe decades. My friend taught me this, getting better shots with his laggy point and shoot against my then new Nikon D70. Still, there are good uses for FPS, like creating stop-motion sequences and the like.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 06:34 AM ----------

Very nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

Flickr link
08-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #585
Veteran Member

OK, I'm bored already with the K-S1. We know pretty much everything now.

What's next Ricoh?