Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I was forced to put money on it, I would bet that this is not a real, forthcoming model. How could it be? Look at. Seriously!

Please!

If they do release it, let's hope this one is branded RICOH.

08-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Led lights in a row? What the hell were they thinking.
No doubt all the flashing lights can be switched off in the menu, if wanted.

The rear mode dial with two layers of functionality (PASM and scene modes on the outside ring, WB/Flash etc on the inside ring) strikes me as not very ergonomic. But I can certainly see the appeal of clustering the main controls together in a place where they can all be reached by one hand and thumb. Kind of like the K-x, which I can pretty much shoot (and review images with) one handed.
08-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... I bet this will be the world's smallest dslr. But the design looks too much like a road accident between a MILC and a K-r (or photoshop...?) Or maybe I just need a little time?
08-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I don't know, it looks like they cut off the the grip of a K-r then put in one from NEX5..... It reduce the volume of the body for sure, but will the grip still be comfortable to hold?

Looks like a replacement for K-500/K-50, maybe the K-50 design was such of a step back making it look too much like a Canikon, so Ricoh is like" Right, we are going to put the edgy look back to the entry level body to attract the tech craze/futuristic loving crowd"?

08-18-2014, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter

What the ... ?!

Is this just a distraction for us not to think about FF bodies? If so then it's working!
08-18-2014, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #51
ogl
Pentaxian

This body asks new kit zoom lens made in body's style. And it will be pop entry-level camera.

Last edited by ogl; 08-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
08-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Agreed, ogl. The old kit zoom looks awkward on this camera. But so does the pentaprism!
08-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Now that I think about it a bit, if this camera is for real then I see something interesting.

First, designing and building anything is not free. Ricoh is putting money into the business. Whether it's money well spent or not is a different question.

Second, this could be an experiment for Ricoh. If it succeeds then we may see this design trickle upward to higher end models with some tweaks. If it fails then it fails on a low end, lower risk model. This may be Ricoh working in piecemeal toward something.

Third, you know someone will buy this no matter how ugly we may think it is. That's a win for Ricoh since it increases the presence of the K-mount.

08-18-2014, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #54

Looks to me like a slightly thinner (more pronounced mirror box protrusion), narrower (virtually no left-side hump when viewed from the rear) response to Canon's SL1/100D. One for the very entry-level crowd. Possibly a smaller, but higher-res LCD display on the back?

Not sure what they're thinking in terms of design. The e-dial looks like a straight lift from an Olympus OM-D or Sony NEX. The metal trim (right-side) seems a bit of an afterthought as well. I wonder also, how easy it is to accidentally move that rear mode dial when the camera is gripped?

On the whole though, I don't immediately dislike it. Needs to be bundled with something smaller than the 18-55mm though. Do another run of the 40mm XS and chuck that in instead of a kit zoom, maybe.
08-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #55
Site Supporter

My guess is this is a hoax or as others have said a mirrorless DSLR with EVF 0 an upgrade from the K01. If it is the latter I would be betting on two models - an entry and serious amateur level camera. The former would be a 16 MP cropped sensor with the latter (not yet pictured) having more dials and buttons sporting a K3 sensor. The serious amateur model will be unwrapped at Photokina with the 'leaked' version designed to stir interest in the concept.

Of course I could have got it wrong with the base model sporting a K3 sensor with the serious model being FF .......... aka Sony A7r competition
08-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #56

Seriously, is "that" what they prefer to do instead of a FF camera in K7/5/3 shape?
08-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Pentax K-S1 isn't a hoax. It's Ricoh new entry-level DSLR. One new model each and every year, as under Hoya.

P.S.: Could an administrator delete the word "mirrorless" from the title?
08-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Horrible design and absolutely not ergonomic...
08-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The rear mode dial with two layers of functionality (PASM and scene modes on the outside ring, WB/Flash etc on the inside ring) strikes me as not very ergonomic. But I can certainly see the appeal of clustering the main controls together in a place where they can all be reached by one hand and thumb. Kind of like the K-x, which I can pretty much shoot (and review images with) one handed.
This type of design have been in use on earlier cameras (ist-D K10/K20), except that the ring is mode-dial on K-S1 instead of AF point mode on earlier cameras.

The LED around the shutter button could be a very nice feature. FI it could glow green in photography mode, and red in video mode.
Flashing red could mean that no memory card is inserted, or that battery is depleted.
08-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Seriously, is "that" what they prefer to do instead of a FF camera in K7/5/3 shape?
It's not "instead of a FF", an entry level DSLR is very much needed (more so than a FF). Without making and selling new APS-C cameras, Pentax wouldn't have the money and the user base required to support a FF product line.
Really; such cameras are helping, not impeding the FF plan.

About the K-S1... I think the design is a bit too "cheesy", but perhaps it would work with the target market? I'm curious if it will be the smallest DSLR... I hope the upper level cameras will stay K-3-ish, though.
And, when the announcement? There's still some time left until Photokina. we already have leaked (press release?) images?