Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I don't think that limitation to a couple serious lenses is a positive feature of the Pentax lineup.
The lenses you cite are 10+ years old - even Leica has improved lens specs more often these days. I can also tell you exactly hwat 5 lenses I am missing in the Pentax lineup that could make it a much more intereting systems.
At the photokina 2012 the Ricoh representatives received the Lens Survey that run on this forum about what lenses we would like to be developed. So they are aware of userdemands. Sometimes you have to wait for them. Some lenses maybe are never economical to make for a small brand.

Always fun to see the interview from 2012.

08-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Did you watch the fine video I linked to before? They take an X-T1, a E-M1, an A6000, a GH4 and a D4S to a bike track. Their conclusion? The GH4 and A6000 are almost as good as any DSLR out there.
Yes I have seen that video a few times. Then you got this video
where D3300 outperforms all MILC in terms of % of photos in focus, which is different result than the video you linked. The claims from manufactures are in ideal situations which don't apply to real world usage. Everyone of them claims that they have the fastest focus speed and that is simply marketing; just like how restaurants claim that they are the #1 at something but there's nothing regulating those claims because there is no standardization. And then there's EVF lag when the light condition isn't as ideal as most of these tests. There are just so many variables to AF test that I haven't found anyone's methodology is completely satisfactory. (And btw I have played around with a few of these latest cameras so I'm not really going by these test videos just how I feel about them, so YMMV)
08-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #648
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The existence of such a visible gap between the body and the pentaprism intrigues me. I almost expect something to slide out of there. But it will trap dust/crud.

Also these larger images seem to have lost the green-button on the top plate that was visible in earlier pix.
Really wide gap...
08-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #649

K-S1 and the gap

The existence of such a visible gap between the body and the pentaprism intrigues me too.

A rumor about Pentax "A" mount surfaced last year: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/235294-new-rumor-pentax-mount.html.

Could that rumor and the leaked image of K-S1 be related?

08-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #650
Pentaxian

No, it can't.
This is a very small entry level camera, modularity would negatively affect both pricing and size.

And by the way, even though I've heard about it through "our" Mistral75, I have a hard time believing the Pentax "A" rumor. It's too detailed, and Pentax to start making modular thingies?
But then, I don't know who's the source.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-25-2014 at 12:37 AM.
08-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #651
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it can't.
This is a very small entry level camera, modularity would negatively affect both pricing and size.

And by the way, even though I've heard about it through "our" Mistral75, I have a hard time believing the Pentax "A" rumor. It's too detailed, and Pentax to start making modular thingies?
But then, I don't know who's the source.
No Pentax. Ricoh. Pentax is just brand and nothing else.

How could you explain so wide gap between body and pentaprism block? Never saw it before.

Have a look at low-end cameras from C, N, S...Did you see the same?

Never made by Pentax too.

Last edited by ogl; 08-25-2014 at 01:51 AM.
08-25-2014, 01:57 AM   #652
Site Supporter

More than any modularity, I rather see this as a dangerous result of standard cost-cutting instructions....
08-25-2014, 02:08 AM   #653
Pentaxian

Let's see the price; perhaps Ricoh is interested to expand their market share (which would explain their efforts in increasing the production capacity) - and in an affordable camera, something has to go. A two piece upper plate instead of a single piece, that's not so bad

08-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #654

I am still wondering about the possible modularity of the K-S1. Let's assume for a moment that the camera was modular. I have added some arrows to one of the known photos.
What part of the K-S1 could be exchanged? To me it is clear that the grip and the body part marked by the blue arrows is the only part that might be separated from the rest of the cam. Problem is, the back wheel is in the way. But I guess besides changing settings this wheel might serve as a release for the modular inner part of the cam (maybe with a counter part on the bottom of the cam). Pull it up like in the old days to open the film box and you can pull out the grip unit to the right (the axis of the back wheel is a little bit further to the back so it would not be an obstacle.

Now, what do we have with this grip unit? What's in there, and what is not?

We do have:
- Sensor
- Image processor
- SD card holder
- Connectors to the outside (USB etc.)
- Shutter release
- Attachments for the neck strap

We do not have:
- K-mount (including screw drive)
- K-mount release button
- View finder (which to my assumption is an EVF, btw)
- Flash
- Back screen
- Basically all the buttons and dials

All this reminds very much of the former Ricoh modularity, except that no mount would be included with the modules. OR a new A(?)-mount with shorter registration distance?

Now imagine a removable back screen with buttons and back dial that could be attached to the inner module and you might have a complete mirrorless camera with A(?)-mount.
It all fits for me. This concept would offer very high versatility and might also function as the necessary K-mount adapter for users of legacy lenses (i.e. the lenses available today).
So maybe we will see a bunch of new lenses at Photokina. But not for K- but for A(?)-mount.

One last thing: AFAIK no photos of the bottom side of the camera have been published so far although high res images of the cam are already available. Maybe because they were too revealing, i.e. a release button for the inner module would be visible?
What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by JanG; 08-25-2014 at 02:48 AM.
08-25-2014, 02:20 AM   #655
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's see the price; perhaps Ricoh is interested to expand their market share (which would explain their efforts in increasing the production capacity) - and in an affordable camera, something has to go. A two piece upper plate instead of a single piece, that's not so bad
A modular construction would be a great step ahead of any manufacturer. But this K-S1 seems to be an entry level, and I think that Kunzite is right. Anyway, I pray to be wrong (nothing personal, just for the good of Pentax, and ours).
08-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #656
Pentaxian

The K-S1 could be a very good thing (for Pentax, if not directly for us) as it is. And a modular camera system is not necessarily a good thing
But perhaps the construction (not the product) is modular - as previously suggested - and Ricoh/Pentax are experimenting with more compact packaging, suitable for GR and MILC-style cameras.
08-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #657

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I am still wondering about the possible modularity of the K-S1. Let's assume for a moment that the camera was modular. I have added some arrows to one of the known photos.
What part of the K-S1 could be exchanged? To me it is clear that the grip and the body part marked by the blue arrows is the only part that might be separated from the rest of the cam. Problem is, the back wheel is in the way. But I guess besides changing settings this wheel might serve as a release for the modular inner part of the cam (maybe with a counter part on the bottom of the cam). Pull it up like in the old days to open the film box and you can pull out the grip unit to the right (the axis of the back wheel is a little bit further to the back so it would not be an obstacle.

Now, what do we have with this grip unit? What's in there, and what is not?

We do have:
- Sensor
- Image processor
- SD card holder
- Connectors to the outside (USB etc.)
- Shutter release
- Attachments for the neck strap

We do not have:
- K-mount (including screw drive)
- K-mount release button
- View finder (which to my assumption is an EVF, btw)
- Flash
- Back screen
- Basically all the buttons and dials

All this reminds very much of the former Ricoh modularity, except that no mount would be included with the modules. OR a new A(?)-mount with shorter registration distance?

Now imagine a removable back screen with buttons and back dial that could be attached to the inner module and you might have a complete mirrorless camera with A(?)-mount.
It all fits for me. This concept would offer very high versatility and might also function as the necessary K-mount adapter for users of legacy lenses (i.e. the lenses available today).
So maybe we will see a bunch of new lenses at Photokina. But not for K- but for A(?)-mount.

One last thing: AFAIK no photos of the bottom side of the camera have been published so far although high res images of the cam are already available? Maybe because they were too revealing, i.e. a release button for the inner module would be visible?
What do you think?
Further more:
What if the A-K-adapter was already on the market (well, more or less)? Including screw drive functionality! Just imagine a new A-mount back plate mounted to the new 1.4 tele converter (which is 2 cm thick, which from the availabal photos could match the distance between the inner module and the front of the k-mount) and remove the glass elements of the teleconverter.
08-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #658
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hang on! As mentioned on the previous page, some of these photos have a green button on the top and some don't. That makes a huge difference. Only the original black photos showed the green button and they were also the only ones to show the back. The second story on digicame-info had the colored bodies but no green button and this was the one that showed the limited spec list. All pictures have the camera name as K-S1, so it seems we are looking at two conflicting reports about one model. So, what do we conclude?

- They are all fake?
- The first story was real. The camera has a green button and a new back plate, but we can't be sure about the specs.
- The second story was real. There is no green button on top, the specs were true, and we can't be sure about the back.

Very curious!
08-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #659
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
- They all real, and there's more than one camera.
08-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
H
- The first story was real. The camera has a green button and a new back plate, but we can't be sure about the specs.
There is no visible green button in the picture of the black camera taken from the same angle as the pictures of the white and gray cameras.