Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax-Ricoh USA place this camera in the mid-level DSLR category.

08-27-2014, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #902
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
The first video for K-S1 was boring? Yes, could be. But watch this:

Oh, this all makes sense now. The K-S1 is a new light beer.
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #903

Here's another promo video
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
So, basically, the camera's marketed at young and rich hipsters.

Edit: wow, thread moves fast, I should have expected it. Video has already been posted, sorry.
08-27-2014, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #904
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Here's another promo video
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
So, basically, the camera's marketed at young and rich hipsters.

Edit: wow, thread moves fast, I should have expected it. Video has already been posted, sorry.
Well, your CD collection looks shiny and costly
How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?
And how much did you spend on your black leather jacket?
Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

08-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #905

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't think I'm getting your point.

Edit (again!): LOL. Ok. It's a song. Cleared that in one the follow ups a few posts below

Last edited by hooverfocus; 08-27-2014 at 05:05 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #906
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
If a person shows up to a party with this camera, they would be the life of the party.
Sorry, but what?
08-27-2014, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #907
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
"The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.

The biggest issue we have with the K-S1 is figuring out its target audience. Its design (including those LEDs) makes it stand out in the crowd, but the biggest selling points should be what's inside. The K-S1's closest competitors are the Canon SL1 (EOS 100D) and Nikon D3300, both of which have lower MSRPs (not to mention street prices) and are equally capable. An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive.
"

Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review
I wasn't aware the Canon SL1 and the Nikon D3300 had pentaprism viewfinders... and when did the SL1 get a better sensor?
08-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #908
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
I hate to whine. I think it's humiliating, especially to do so in an Internet forum.
And yet, here you are, doing just that.

QuoteQuote:
But I was hopeful and the idea so promising! However, the only thing they've done is add Christmas lights to a stillborn idea, and I'm sad to say that I don't think it'll sell in big numbers.
The lights actually have functions, and you can turn them off if you like. So what's the problem?

QuoteQuote:
It's a heavy (almost as much as a T5i, which costs less, has better ergos, cheaper and silent lenses, etc.) and technologically stagnated product that won't win any online pissing matches, and that's what sells nowadays. I mean, seriously, we're still using that ridiculous steel chassis!? Plus lame battery life, no AA battery compatibility, no real grip, and no weathersealing? At 558 grams!? Not even the 24 Mpix sensor of the D3300, or a more modern AF system? Not to mention a silent kit lens, or DC AW limiteds - if Nikon has sealed, affordable primes, why can't Ricoh do it? Shame on them. What a missed chance. I really hope the K-50 successor is better but now I'm doubting i.t
Really, you want the same quality as Canon's low-end models with their thin, creaky plastic? Not all of us are so weak that a couple ounces makes a difference. And gee, if you want image stabilization, with Canon you can only buy IS lenses, unlike Pentax where every lens benefits from IBIS. And some of those "cheap" cheap Canon lenses are really cheap... as in, fall-apart-in-a-year-or-two cheap. Since you're so keen on AA compatibility, where is it with Canon & Nikon? And 24mp vs 20? Really, that's important to you? And this announcement is about the K-S1, not lenses. How many "sealed, affordable" primes does Nikon have? And how many are stabilized? And how many lenses can't you use in AF on Nikon because their entry-level camera doesn't include an AF motor?

All camera systems have trade-offs, so if you don't like Pentax, get something else.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-27-2014 at 05:08 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #909
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking what they're selling.
Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them.
Your chaos won't convert them.
They're so happy to rebuild it.
You'll never really kill it.

08-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #910
Pentaxian

So to everyone who said hoax... How you feel now? Lol

I guess the classy thing to do would have been not to bring attention to it.

Still waiting to touch it myself before I decide if it's crap or not
08-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #911
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All those teen cuties taking their shirts off and splashing about... with a very decent soundtrack too. I approve.

Oh, and in the last 15 seconds they show a camera.
That video is hilarious. I hope nobody splashes the K-S1, lol.
08-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #912
Pentaxian

Nice camera, but too expensive, IMO.
08-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #913
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
"The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.

The biggest issue we have with the K-S1 is figuring out its target audience. Its design (including those LEDs) makes it stand out in the crowd, but the biggest selling points should be what's inside. The K-S1's closest competitors are the Canon SL1 (EOS 100D) and Nikon D3300, both of which have lower MSRPs (not to mention street prices) and are equally capable. An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive.
"

Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review

I think they might have missed the purpose of the camera.. actually I know they have -- they admit it in the text. They seem to be in the mindset of a traditional seasoned photographer.. someone with experience in and passion for photography.

This is a brand new, entry level camera designed for people brand new and entry level to photography... in the Pentax K mount. They stylized it to appeal to that market. You have to wear those shoes to understand or at least mentally be in those 'shoes' to see the purpose for this camera. This isn't for you or me or most anyone reading photography forums...

That said, I don't understand how they can say the IQ is the same with this camera and sensor than with the SL1 or D3300. Have they done thorough tests and confirmed the resolution is higher with the Canon or Nikon entry levels? This has no AA filter.. and a proven 20MP APS-C sized sensor. With the right glass I'd think it would be a hair better than the compared.. plus the two cameras to which it is compared have been on the market for over a year. MSRP is just a suggestion... retail price is what matters.... we'll see in 3 months where the prices are sitting.

DP review isn't my first choice for camera reviews recently.. I still read but they just don't seem to understand Pentax too much. I saw the long storied debacle with the K-3 and it was pretty strange. There seems to be invisible negative points if it has 'Pentax' on the front of the camera even if they claim otherwise. The irony is their mostly positive review of the K-x four years ago is a fairly large part of the reason I bought a Pentax dSLR camera in the first place (I was looking for a Nikon at the time and was trying to do my homework).
08-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #914
Pentaxian

It's a shame they are matching this youthful camera with the kludgy 18-55 lens.

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 08:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
DP review isn't my first choice for camera reviews recently.. I still read but they just don't seem to understand Pentax too much. I saw the long storied debacle with the K-3 and it was pretty strange. There seems to be invisible negative points if it has 'Pentax' on the front of the camera even if they claim otherwise. The irony is their mostly positive review of the K-x four years ago is a fairly large part of the reason I bought a Pentax dSLR camera in the first place (I was looking for a Nikon at the time and was trying to do my homework).
DPR's afraid that if they have an open mind regarding cameras, adverti$er$ won't take them $eriou$ly.
08-27-2014, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #915
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
So to everyone who said hoax... How you feel now? Lol
I wish it were...

It is like waking up in jail after thinking it was all a bad dream.

Steve