Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #976

You know, when I saw the pics with the coloured versions, the Silver and Black immediately struck me as to how similar this camera is in styling to the MZ50/60 bodies.

simular but not the sameular...

08-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #977
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Srs now have the ks1 available for pre order in the uk for £549 (includes flu-card, and 32gb SD card)

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/563/Pentax-K-S1-Digital-SLR-Cameras.html
08-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #978
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think K-S1 is positioned anyhow. It's just being made as a new model, with a slightly new appeal compared to rest of K-mount cameras.

More I look at it, the absence of any new and matching kit lens, or any new lens whatsoever, or any other marketing pointer that clarifies this camera, it seems to me the camera is just made as a quick, and slightly different addition to the K-mount — nothing more than that. And wherever user wishes to classify it, and use with whatever lenses, it's fine to Ricoh Imaging. They don't care and won't do anything special for it.

But I think it is wrong we should presume this is entry level camera only because it is not weather sealed or because it is small. Many much more expensive cameras aren't weather sealed. Who cares? After all, this is not your typical DSLR made for bigger, sealed lenses. Users for K-S1 will use perhaps a kit lens, and unsealed DA35/2.4, DA50/1.8 plastic fantastic. It will be very good for unsealed DA limiteds as well.

Granted, many "modern" features are missing in K-S1, like tilting LCD or WiFi, but then, many cameras that have those lack in matters that K-S1 has. We could go on like that forever in comparing cameras from different manufacturers, and is pointless.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-28-2014 at 04:15 AM.
08-28-2014, 04:12 AM   #979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If Ricoh will show only K-S1 at Photokina it would be sad...
I doubt that this will be the only news from Ricoh at Photokina. Let's remember that two new lenses are on the road maps. and is still time for another camera leaks and announcement. Hopefully FF....

08-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #980
Inactive Account

DPREVIEW complains about ergonomics

I read the dpreview article on it and it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. To summarise their gripes:
(1) The grip is slippery and uncomfortable
(2) The LEDs serve no real purpose (other than an over the top countdown light)
(3) It isn't weather sealed
(4) The 4 way controller thing at the back is extremely awkward to use.
(5) It is priced higher than the K50, which they view as a better camera - and higher than competition (e.g D3300) which they also view more favourably.

So Pentax have designed a camera which puts form flatly over functionality - except they have succeeded there anyway.

I'm afraid I think this will be a flop. (imo)
08-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #981
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
I read the dpreview article on it and it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. To summarise their gripes:
(1) The grip is slippery and uncomfortable
(2) The LEDs serve no real purpose (other than an over the top countdown light)
(3) It isn't weather sealed
(4) The 4 way controller thing at the back is extremely awkward to use.
(5) It is priced higher than the K50, which they view as a better camera - and higher than competition (e.g D3300) which they also view more favourably.

So Pentax have designed a camera which puts form flatly over functionality - except they have succeeded there anyway.

I'm afraid I think this will be a flop. (imo)
The camera looks sufficiently ergonomic; the half a dozen people whom I have seen hold this camera in various videos seem to be able to do so with considerable ease. This camera is ideal for people who prefer a DSLR, and who would like it to be as lightweight as possible: I would definitely be interested in purchasing this camera.

How do you know the camera is priced higher than the K50, considering that it is yet to become available for sale? Pentax's recommended price for both cameras with kit lens is identical: 699 Euros. That the current price of a body that has been in circulation for some time is lower is hardly anything unusual: why pay 699 Euros for X-E2 when the X-E1 can be purchased for 349 Euros or less?

The K-S1 is an excellent camera with plenty of firepower in a small package. It is smaller than some high end micro four thirds bodies and it is sure to outperform larger and far more expensive DSLRs. In other words, this is a camera with lots of potential.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 14:29 ----------

Here's a K-S1 infomercial:

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-28-2014 at 05:29 AM.
08-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #982
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hmm. I think this camera would be easier to sell at that price if it came with a more compact and modern-looking kit lens with silent focus.

I wonder if a K-50 successor will arrive too - with basically the same innards, but with traditional controls and WR?
That is what I'm wondering too... K-50ish shell, similar innards, upgraded buffer and burst rate, electronic level, weather sealing, and 100 dollars more MSRP. Essentially the K-50 with a new sensor and the AA simulation from the K-3.

That said, I do think they overpriced the MSRP on the KS-1 by 100 dollars.. there is not much room between the cameras at launch. I figure they think the KS-1 is in it's own tier for a different type of consumer.. but time will tell if people think that way in reality. *shrug*

08-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #983
Pentaxian

If the Flucard is included it may be a fair price, presuming a lower street price coming soon.
But agreed, the package could have really benefited by a new kitlens.

Nevertheless, the features indicate that a model between it and K-3 would be quite well equipped, I presume WR and more common design. If the K-50 will be replaced...
08-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So my 24 year old daughter drives a silver mid-range KIA Soul with a racing stripe and flashing LED speaker surrounds that change colors according to something or other and a day-glo orange media center display and hound's tooth fabric seat inserts and all kinds of bluetooth connectivity and plugs and holders and cable jacks. She picked it out and bought it herself and paid $17,xxx.

If I had bought her a car as a gift I would have given her a black Honda CRV with a garage door opener and a backup camera. For $25,000.

She takes pictures with a iPhone.
If Kia is expecting the Soul owners to eventually buy a K900, maybe they'll put flashing LEDs on the K900's speakers to lure them. The problem for Ricoh in the case of the K-S1 is they designed it like a Soul and priced it like an Optima.
08-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #985
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If i gonna buy this camera, i make the grip a bit larger.
08-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #986
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
How do you know the camera is priced higher than the K50, considering that it is yet to become available for sale?
It's on sale now for £599 at srs (includes kit lens, flu card, and 32gb SD card)
08-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #987
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also available for pre-order at B&H.
08-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #988
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
It's on sale now for £599 at srs (includes kit lens, flu card, and 32gb SD card)
The launch price of K30 body was 798 Euros, whereas the the launch price of the K50 body was 649 Euros in my part of the world, and it appears that 649 Euros is going to be the launch price of the K-S1 body as well.
08-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #989
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
The camera looks sufficiently ergonomic; the half a dozen people whom I have seen hold this camera in various videos seem to be able to do so with considerable ease. This camera is ideal for people who prefer a DSLR, and who would like it to be as lightweight as possible: I would definitely be interested in purchasing this camera.

How do you know the camera is priced higher than the K50, considering that it is yet to become available for sale? Pentax's recommended price for both cameras with kit lens is identical: 699 Euros. That the current price of a body that has been in circulation for some time is lower is hardly anything unusual: why pay 699 Euros for X-E2 when the X-E1 can be purchased for 349 Euros or less?

The K-S1 is an excellent camera with plenty of firepower in a small package. It is smaller than some high end micro four thirds bodies and it is sure to outperform larger and far more expensive DSLRs. In other words, this is a camera with lots of potential.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 14:29 ----------

Here's a K-S1 infomercial:

PENTAX K-S1 Movie_en - YouTube

I'm only quoting DPREVIEW and have no experience myself.
08-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #990
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
I'm only quoting DPREVIEW and have no experience myself.
You made it clear long ago that you don't like the camera.