Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1006
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
I generally appreciate their reviews, and I like their laboratory test shot comparison tool, but I must say that based on the quality of the sample field shots they attach to most reviews, I find their lack of actual photographic ability to be more than a little bit disconcerting.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Makes me wonder why there was so much angst over DPR taking forever to put out their K-3 review. Frankly, I like their reviews because they tell us what it is they don't like about a camera. That's relevant info of the type other reviewers often shy away from.


08-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #1007
Pentaxian
cxdoo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Makes me wonder why there was so much angst over DPR taking forever to put out their K-3 review. Frankly, I like their reviews because they tell us what it is they don't like about a camera. That's relevant info of the type other reviewers often shy away from.

My problem with their reviews is more with tone of their elaboration than in positive or negative traits they list. So where in another review they state "model X has these drawbacks, but it is a great camera (i.e. we recommend it)" for Pentax it goes something like "model Y is a very good camera, but we found all these drawbacks (i.e. we don't recommend it)". This is of course my feeling which may or may not be shared by other people.
08-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #1008
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 232
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I generally appreciate their reviews, and I like their laboratory test shot comparison tool, but I must say that based on the quality of the sample field shots they attach to most reviews, I find their lack of actual photographic ability to be more than a little bit disconcerting.
Agreed, this is somehow strange. All in all, I valued Phil Askeys reviews very high, but now they are owned by Amazon and have hired staff that might be enthusiastic gearheads and maybe decent photographers. The good thing are/were, that all cameras photographed the same targets, so differences where easy to recognise. But nowadays the differences are minute, more dependent on RAW-processing. Thus they try to quantify cameras with other "values " which seldom overlaps with mine.
08-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #1009
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Agreed, this is somehow strange. All in all, I valued Phil Askeys reviews very high, but now they are owned by Amazon and have hired staff that might be enthusiastic gearheads and maybe decent photographers. The good thing are/were, that all cameras photographed the same targets, so differences where easy to recognise. But nowadays the differences are minute, more dependent on RAW-processing. Thus they try to quantify cameras with other "values " which seldom overlaps with mine.
Their reviews have this being positive (big + IMO) is the detailed menu / buttons / interface review. That's the beauty of their reviews.
Anything where subjectivity arrives and it sinks down very quickly.

The K-S1 coming from Canon would have been a breakthrough. It is funny.... almost.
Then people cry (stupidly IMO even if they are right) and the guy said "since you're really annoying about that revew not coming I'll postpone it again. Take this". Yep Askey did this with a Pentax. That guy is a real pro.

08-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #1010
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,707
If this is mid-range, I'd like to know:
  • How many shots can you bracket?
  • Did the sophisticated multi-exposure capabilites of the K-3 make it into this one?
Just wondering...
08-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #1011
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,128
I was wondering why they needed not just 1 but 5 blingy LEDs of for the countdown timer.

until i had a quick look at the video presentation.posted a few pages back by Asahiflex.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270673-pentax-k-s1-65.html#post2922237 @ 3:25

It turns out that when (if) you are running face detection mode, the number of LED's lit up corresponds to the number of faces detected. WOW


Cool little gimmick but i cant help thinking that a 180degree flip out LCD would be a bit better for group selfie enthusiasts.
08-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #1012
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
Interesting to see how at 3:40 they are marketing the various color combos as "Fabric Collection" and "Night Sky Colleciton." It definitely furhters the style marketing strategy Pentax has embarked upon in their past few generations of cameras. I also must say, the "Midnight Black" combo looks a lot nicer to me than does the standard black configuration we first saw. Something like a more well-conceived take on the "Newsome Yellow" scheme from the K-01. The "Cotton Beige" would look great with a brown leather case (kinda weird to say about a cam with green LEDs on the front!).

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I was wondering why they needed not just 1 but 5 blingy LEDs of for the countdown timer.

until i had a quick look at the video presentation.posted a few pages back by Asahiflex.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270673-pentax-k-s1-65.html#post2922237 @ 3:25

It turns out that when (if) you are running face detection mode, the number of LED's lit up corresponds to the number of faces detected. WOW


Cool little gimmick but i cant help thinking that a 180degree flip out LCD would be a bit better for group selfie enthusiasts.

Last edited by dcshooter; 08-28-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typos. need coffee.
08-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #1013
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Cool little gimmick but i cant help thinking that a 180degree flip out LCD would be a bit better for group selfie enthusiasts.
That's debatable: for a group of five people they would need to be relatively far from the camera, making the screen difficult to see, especially in sunlight. That said, I'm wondering how useful the LEDs would be for that purpose in practice.

08-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #1014
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,207
QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
B) Pentax as a system has (right now) precious few advantages left, and in an extremely competitive and declining market, other players are starting to encroach upon those as well. Ricoh needs to start upping their game NOW, not for Photokina 2016 or whatever. They either have to provide silent AF, or better zooms, or a truly full range of WR lenses. Even better, all of the above. It's not acceptable to sell a DA 35mm f/2.4 at ~$170 anymore, not when the sealed DX 35mm f/1.8G sells for less than $200, and has pretty much all of the attributes that would make it killer on a Pentax body. There's also no WR wide angle zoom alternative, or WR limiteds. This is, in my view, long-term suicide, should it continue.
Ricoh is soooo fortunate to have such astute and capable market/business analysts as are active here on Pentax Forums.

Pentax is dooooommmmeddd!!!


Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
are you aware that due to the nature of the K-mount, Pentax cannot make a camera as slender as Olympus without moving to a different design?
The same is true for Nikon F, Canon EF, and all other mounts that were originally designed for 35mm film SLR cameras. The mirror box defines the minimum depth of the body.


Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
......... then why isn't the K-S1 water-resistant?
For the same reason why the iPhone is not water resistant...

Thing about it.


Steve
08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #1015
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,954
It looks like a fine camera to me. Nice specs. Good size -- very little advantage of mirrorless over it, particularly when factoring in lens size. Price probably is a little on the high side and I would expect that to come down with a little time.

Obviously folks who don't mind an SLR size will gravitate to a K50, which is an amazing deal right now, but folks who want something a little different, don't want to compromise on specs and want a smaller format factor will probably want this. However, I don't imagine many 50 year old men will buy them.
08-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #1016
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The same is true for Nikon F, Canon EF, and all other mounts that were originally designed for 35mm film SLR cameras. The mirror box defines the minimum depth of the body.

I wasn't really comparing them, just pointing out why Pentax couldn't be as svelte as Oly, since that's what Kharan mentioned.


QuoteQuote:
For the same reason why the iPhone is not water resistant...
That was just a light-hearted jibe on my part...
08-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #1017
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,480
Good to know I will not have very many of you lining up to borrow mine.
08-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #1018
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,585
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Yeah all I am doing is sharing one of the few sites who so far have an opinion on it. This is just a single preview and without corroboration from multiple sites any thoughts at this stage from dpreview should be taken with this in mind.

Charlie
Remember this. DPR was never objective, and always, always tries to present Pentax as little, and as unfavorable as possible. The Pentax K-3 review was presented at more than 6 month after the camera hit the market, while other cameras reviews are presented in less than a month.
08-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #1019
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ricoh is soooo fortunate to have such astute and capable market/business analysts as are active here on Pentax Forums.

Pentax is dooooommmmeddd!!!


Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:01 AM ----------



The same is true for Nikon F, Canon EF, and all other mounts that were originally designed for 35mm film SLR cameras. The mirror box defines the minimum depth of the body.


Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:05 AM ----------



For the same reason why the iPhone is not water resistant...

Thing about it.


Steve
Okay, enough with taking things out of context. I don't want a new mount, I never said I wanted a slender camera - just a lighter or sealed one. C'mon people, it's not that hard to imagine a K-S1 with either attribute being much more competitive right at launch.

Also, I said it's suicide in the long run. I don't care for Pentax is doomed, but do you really think that things are fantastic right now in Pentax's lineup? That everything is close to being as good as it could be? I don't claim to be an enlightened master of market analysis, but even I realize that the product WILL NOT sell to the target audience because it lacks basic features among that crowd, like internal WiFi (seriously, it needs Instagram and Facebook integration), a touchscreen, and WR (that Ricoh actually decides to fully honor and support).

Oh, and BTW - the iPhone isn't, but you can shower with the new Samsung Galaxy. One is "your parent's boring phone" and the other is trendy. Guess which one is which?
08-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #1020
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,400
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Good to know I will not have very many of you lining up to borrow mine.
Hey Jim, can I borrow your K-S1?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, care, colour, design, ff, flash, format, iso, k-01, k-3, k3, kit, kit lens, leds, lens, level, look, medium, pentax, pentax k-s1, pentax news, pentax rumors, performance, price, scheme, steve, value
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Thoughts on the K-01 and Mirrorless From Pentax Biro Pentax Mirrorless Cameras 108 06-25-2014 03:20 PM
Mirrorless K-Mount Camera Joshua A Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 08-22-2013 04:28 AM
K-mount mirrorless....FF RonHendriks1966 Pentax Full Frame 13 05-28-2013 03:13 PM
Waiting on my first mirrorless: K-01! Penta Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-30-2013 05:49 AM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top