Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #1216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Exactly. And the people buying this camera aren't getting rid of their iPhones. They will still use it but there must be situations where they wish they had something better - zoomier, megapicklier, ISOier, etc...
I was in a 2nd-hand store yesterday where a woman was looking at a Lumix p&s. The idea was to get better images than with her iphone, and the salesperson said he'd owned iphones but gave up on their imaging 'prowess' and now had a droid phone. Both of them were cell users seeking better images. Just because R.Pentax used the phrasing they did in the K-s1 announcement did not imply to me that they intended to replicate the iphone experience on a camera body, just that people who come from a different shooting paradigm will be less intimidated by the K-s1 than by a black DSLR bristling with control points. Fair enough, go get 'em - we all win if it works! and if it doesn't they will try again soon. It's their game we just play it (or play it with another company who won't do quite what we ask for either).

08-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #1217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Jim R + K-5 + Q -- k17fe, DA40, M85/135 & zooms covering 18-300mm
Wanna stir the pot? Ask Adam to post a K-S1 sig tag.
08-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #1218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Shelf space?

What % of DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales to whoever this-target-market-is are at a physical retailer?

Seems like those %'s are low and getting lower, but I could be wrong. I'm lucky, there's a Pentax retailer in San Jose. The one retailer in San Francisco closed. That's one in the SFBay area, population 8 million or so, and if you live in San Francisco (where perhaps this target market is), you have to drive an hour (if there's no traffic) to get to a retailer.

Who is going to do that when Amazon has such a great return policy?

Ricoh and Pentax have been pushing for physical retail spots lately, and if this camera is a good enough value, they might be able to do it... but so far I haven't seen their effort succeeding in ILC's.
You and I are US-centric. But here, camera stores are vanishing. Most SLRs are probably sold over the internet -- maybe after handling in a big box store. However, in Europe and Asia, there are still camera stores with products that have shelf space. My understanding is that in Japan, Pentax still has a fair amount of availability in photography stores.

But the US is a tough market. A lot of the US is pretty rural and fairly distant from urban areas where camera stores are available. I think the bigger thing is just advertising to get their name out there.
08-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #1219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You and I are US-centric. But here, camera stores are vanishing. Most SLRs are probably sold over the internet -- maybe after handling in a big box store. However, in Europe and Asia, there are still camera stores with products that have shelf space. My understanding is that in Japan, Pentax still has a fair amount of availability in photography stores.

But the US is a tough market. A lot of the US is pretty rural and fairly distant from urban areas where camera stores are available. I think the bigger thing is just advertising to get their name out there.
I think most are still not sold over the internet. I think B&M still account for the majority of sales.

08-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #1220
mee
Veteran Member

Another issue in the USA is there has been a movement towards fiscal 'efficiency' for years.. people want more bang for their buck. both for consumers and for corporations..

As a result, we have more big box department stores versus a lot of specialty shops outside of larger cities.

If we do get a specialty store, it is more than likely a full electronics store than a camera specific store. Something such as BestBuy or Frys which caters more towards the general consumer and not niche SLR photographers. I mean you might see dSLR cameras in these stores, but it is usually low to mid tier cameras or the m4/3 systems.

In the big box stores it typically is just very low tier (T3 or D3100) and the like. Nikon and Canon only. Oh and a buuuuunch of P+S and bridge cameras.
08-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1221
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What % of DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales to whoever this-target-market-is are at a physical retailer?
Well overhere online sales are winning ground and fast.
08-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #1222
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well overhere online sales are winning ground and fast.

I haven't even stepped foot into a camera shop before.. bought all my equipment online. Mostly because the prices are lower online and also bcause there aren't any camera shops around!

08-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #1223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, and RIAC has been soooooo successful putting the previous 'good' cameras in more stores where people could actually see and touch them. In St. Louis RIAC just lost their distribution in a 9-store highly profitable chain. The K500 showed up in how many box stores again? Wasn't that the point of the downgrade?

RIAC got nuthin' and Ricoh just doesn't care any more. We better hope and pray a FF Pentax doesn't need American sales to become a reality, because if that is the reality and this is how we respond to Ricoh brand-differentiating ideas they'll pull out of the US altogether.
That 9 store chain used to be the biggest Pentax brick and mortar store in the US. Not good.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 08-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
08-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #1224
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Smartphones don't have swivel and tilt out LCDs...
Is this a joke? They don't need them for selfies, as mostly all of them have front facing cameras in addition to their standard outward facing camera.

Selfies on smartphones: you use front facing camera.
Selfies on cameras: you use the flip out/swivel LCD.
08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #1225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Selfies on smartphones: you use front facing camera. Selfies on cameras: you use the flip out/swivel LCD.
Uhmmmmm, Huh?

Which side is the front? And how does a hinged LCD let you take a picture of yourself from the back of a dSLR?

The countdown LED's are for use on a tripod or stack of books on the coffee table for a group timer shot. A hinged LCD is also for tripod use, and for low-to-ground shots.

Neither has anything to do with duck lips nor selfies.
08-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #1226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uhmmmmm, Huh?
Probably doesn't realize that people have been taking selfies since 1839...
08-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #1227
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hadn't seen this picture until now.

08-30-2014, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1228
mee
Veteran Member

Uhmmmmm, Huh?

Which side is the front? And how does a hinged LCD let you take a picture of yourself from the back of a dSLR?

The countdown LED's are for use on a tripod or stack of books on the coffee table for a group timer shot. A hinged LCD is also for tripod use, and for low-to-ground shots.

Neither has anything to do with duck lips nor selfies.
On a cellphone the front would be the side with the large LCD screen. A hinged LCD on a dSLR might be able to flip 180 degrees back and then around towards the front of the camera (side with the lens on it) so you could see the selfie in progress.

Yes and also Yes.

That is true too. But I don't see how that plays into the current conversation.
08-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #1229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Hadn't seen this picture until now.
That dusk gold color scheme paired with the 20-40 limited makes the K-S1 look a lot better. Maybe Pentax really should have updated the 18-55 kit lens with the release of this camera.

Last edited by stillshot2; 08-30-2014 at 07:20 PM.
08-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #1230
mee
Veteran Member

A new idea.. gradient colored camera bodies from back to front. So black lenses would blend better with the camera.