Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1231
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What % of DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales are at a physical retailer?
What % of beginner DSLR sales to whoever this-target-market-is are at a physical retailer?
Well overhere online sales are winning ground and fast.

08-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #1232
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well overhere online sales are winning ground and fast.

I haven't even stepped foot into a camera shop before.. bought all my equipment online. Mostly because the prices are lower online and also bcause there aren't any camera shops around!
08-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #1233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, and RIAC has been soooooo successful putting the previous 'good' cameras in more stores where people could actually see and touch them. In St. Louis RIAC just lost their distribution in a 9-store highly profitable chain. The K500 showed up in how many box stores again? Wasn't that the point of the downgrade?

RIAC got nuthin' and Ricoh just doesn't care any more. We better hope and pray a FF Pentax doesn't need American sales to become a reality, because if that is the reality and this is how we respond to Ricoh brand-differentiating ideas they'll pull out of the US altogether.
That 9 store chain used to be the biggest Pentax brick and mortar store in the US. Not good.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 08-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
08-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #1234
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Smartphones don't have swivel and tilt out LCDs...
Is this a joke? They don't need them for selfies, as mostly all of them have front facing cameras in addition to their standard outward facing camera.

Selfies on smartphones: you use front facing camera.
Selfies on cameras: you use the flip out/swivel LCD.

08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #1235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Selfies on smartphones: you use front facing camera. Selfies on cameras: you use the flip out/swivel LCD.
Uhmmmmm, Huh?

Which side is the front? And how does a hinged LCD let you take a picture of yourself from the back of a dSLR?

The countdown LED's are for use on a tripod or stack of books on the coffee table for a group timer shot. A hinged LCD is also for tripod use, and for low-to-ground shots.

Neither has anything to do with duck lips nor selfies.
08-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #1236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uhmmmmm, Huh?
Probably doesn't realize that people have been taking selfies since 1839...
08-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #1237
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hadn't seen this picture until now.

08-30-2014, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1238
mee
Pentaxian

Uhmmmmm, Huh?

Which side is the front? And how does a hinged LCD let you take a picture of yourself from the back of a dSLR?

The countdown LED's are for use on a tripod or stack of books on the coffee table for a group timer shot. A hinged LCD is also for tripod use, and for low-to-ground shots.

Neither has anything to do with duck lips nor selfies.
On a cellphone the front would be the side with the large LCD screen. A hinged LCD on a dSLR might be able to flip 180 degrees back and then around towards the front of the camera (side with the lens on it) so you could see the selfie in progress.

Yes and also Yes.

That is true too. But I don't see how that plays into the current conversation.

08-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #1239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Hadn't seen this picture until now.
That dusk gold color scheme paired with the 20-40 limited makes the K-S1 look a lot better. Maybe Pentax really should have updated the 18-55 kit lens with the release of this camera.

Last edited by stillshot2; 08-30-2014 at 07:20 PM.
08-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #1240
mee
Pentaxian

A new idea.. gradient colored camera bodies from back to front. So black lenses would blend better with the camera.
08-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #1241
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On a cellphone the front would be the side with the large LCD screen. A hinged LCD on a dSLR might be able to flip 180 degrees back and then around towards the front of the camera (side with the lens on it) so you could see the selfie in progress.

Yes and also Yes.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to answer.
08-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #1242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Is this a joke? They don't need them for selfies, as mostly all of them have front facing cameras in addition to their standard outward facing camera.

Selfies on smartphones: you use front facing camera.
Selfies on cameras: you use the flip out/swivel LCD.
It's not a joke. People were using non-swivel LCD cameras (phone cameras included) to take selfies for ages. Solutions were implemented to make it easier, e.g. mirrors and lousy front cameras (lousy cameras for lousy selfies, that's just right); Pentax have LEDs.
The idea that people considers lousy front cameras good enough, but require a live view image for precise composition (which, for cameras, means twisting the LCD each and every time) is... intriguing. Perhaps the only thing they care is to have their faces in the image? Perhaps they would like to just point the cameras to themselves and shoot?
Any selfie expert around here which can explain?
08-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #1243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On a cellphone the front would be the side with the large LCD screen.
I've always thought of that side as the back - the front faces away from me. Like the LCD and lens of a camera.
A hinged LCD on a dSLR might be able to flip 180 degrees back and then around towards the front of the camera (side with the lens on it) so you could see the selfie in progress.
I must be truly old and benighted.

I just can't get my mind around the idea that a person who is in possession of a cellphone (with which to post something to the Internet) that has a camera utility embedded would go to all the trouble and steps necessary to make and transfer a selfie taken with a dSLR when all he has to do is open Instagram on the cellphone. A hinged LCD for that use just seems an engineering exercise in search of a use. A cellphone is simply a better tool for a selfie.

Yes and also Yes.

It plays in this way - I don't think rational people take arms-length 'selfies' with dSLR's.
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #1244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It plays in this way - I don't think rational people take arms-length 'selfies' with dSLR's.
A rational person would realize that they are in possession of a camera capable of being mounted on a tripod (or gorillapod), and which possesses both a self-timer and a remote shutter release. And that they are most likely in possession of a cell phone with a crappy camera that is only useful for taking arm length selfies, or pictures of food that no one wants to see.

Oh, to be living in 1839. When you could set up the camera, open the shutter, run into the frame, sit for a minute, then run out of the frame and close the shutter...
08-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #1245
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A rational person would realize that they are in possession of a camera capable of being mounted on a tripod (or gorillapod), and which possesses both a self-timer and a remote shutter release. And that they are most likely in possession of a cell phone with a crappy camera that is only useful for taking arm length selfies, or pictures of food that no one wants to see.

Oh, to be living in 1839. When you could set up the camera, open the shutter, run into the frame, sit for a minute, then run out of the frame and close the shutter...
The null hypothesis in this entire damned argument (I mean the total of the K-S1 discussion) is 'people's opinions on the K-S1 have nothing to do with rational thought'.