Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q-s1 -- k-s1 ????

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2014 at 07:45 AM.
08-19-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
or for that matter, ergonomics.
Indeed. It's an entry-level camera; why are the hyper-enthusiast onanists getting so upset?
08-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #123
Veteran Member

LED accent lights? Really? Does it connect to iTunes?
08-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I hugged my K-01 this morning and whispered "Don't die. Ever" in its ear.
Your K-01 has ears?

08-19-2014, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Your K-01 has ears?
They all do. The problem is they're covered by some rubber flap...
08-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #126
Veteran Member

More like an SF series.
08-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the split-level top plate and seemingly slightly rounded grey plastic right side I think this needs to be seen in 360 or in real life. Until then it's very hard to get an idea of what it really looks like. The isometric viewpoint makes it look less cohesive than it might in real life because besides the side of the grip and the top plate the rest of the design (hidden in the isometric view) is actually very conventional.

I agree that the kit lens needs an aesthetic redesign though. It might perhaps even be in Ricoh's interests to invest in creating a collapsible kit lens that compresses to at least half the length of the current one. That would fit better with this design but also contribute to a reduced carry size.

08-19-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

It's too early to tell, isn't it?

If it is a DSLR then it will be judged by the standards of DSLRs. It certainly looks like one from the pictures though the write-up about it tells another story (a mirrorless).

If it is designed to be a fashionable, go-anywhere selfie machine, then Pentax have chosen the wrong form factor and the wrong mount, imho.

If it's a hybrid, with mirrorless innards but a DSLR form factor, then I'd guess it will gain much attention but be pronounced a misfire. Thing is, a high-end model with the same ideas could be extremely succcessful, so watch this space and watch for video-tuned lenses if it is a new kind of hybrid.

If I bought any camera with Christmas lights on it, a kind of Crimbo in yer pocket, I'd guess my friends would express concern and ask how the treatment is going, but I guess this is not for me, or for most of us on here. Perhaps this model will not even be sold in the West.

Wifi, gps, touch screen, a new operating system, excellent video, fast and quiet motorized lenses, a really good Ricoh tablet/phone app to interface with - these are the things which would indicate a move away from the "dumb box" model of camera and towards something more connected with the rest of our lives. But it's simply too early to tell.

Last edited by mecrox; 08-19-2014 at 06:12 AM.
08-19-2014, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Banned

S1 for mirrorless

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Q-s1 -- k-S1 ????
Photokina: 645-S1 entrylevel also without mirror.

08-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's too early to tell, isn't it?

If it is a DSLR then it will be judged by the standards of DSLRs. It certainly looks like one from the pictures though the write-up about it tells another story (a mirrorless).
Mistral indicates that it's a conventional DSLR

QuoteQuote:
If it is designed to be a fashionable, go-anywhere selfie machine, then Pentax have chosen the wrong form factor and the wrong mount, imho.
Yes. A Q mount camera with wifi/bluetooth and dedicated remote/sharing app would be the way to go - and I am surprised this hasn't happened yet.

QuoteQuote:
If it's a hybrid, with mirrorless innards but a DSLR form factor, then I'd guess it will gain much attention but be pronounced a misfire even though others will go on to do exactly what this does.
True. But if this were the case then the EVF bump could be smaller and it'd need to utilise all the possible advantages that the K-01 didn't - faster shutter speeds etc.

QuoteQuote:
If I bought one, I'd guess my friends would express concern and ask how the treatment is going, but I guess this is not for me, or for most of us on here. Perhaps this model will not even be sold in the West.
No comment!

QuoteQuote:
Wifi, gps, touch screen, a new operating system, excellent video, fast and quiet motorized lenses, a really good Ricoh tablet/phone app to interface with - these are the things which would indicate a move away from the "dumb box" model of camera and towards something more connected with the rest of our lives. Everything else is back to the past.
Pentax should have been putting WiFi in it's cameras by now. The K-3 and the Flu card is a poor solution and one which I hope will be replaced by an integrated approach and dedicated iOS, Android and PC applications. The Q in particular needs this.

QuoteQuote:
So we'll see. If it's simply a new DSLR with a clockwork kit lens on the front and some flashing lights, well fine but nothing to see here really, move along.
It's an entry level DSLR. For those that want one this might be a good option. For others it's only of interest if it turns out that it does in fact have integrated WiFi, GPS, companion apps etc, because this might signal a change in Ricoh's general approach.
08-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #131

I love the fact that this camera is so small! Ricoh seems to be progressing on miniturization, which lets me hope a FF Pentax will not be much bigger than a K3
08-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Are you new here?

Sometimes you have to state the obvious.
But I guess you know that.
08-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Photokina: 645-S1 entrylevel also without mirror.

Loses that big honking grip, too.
08-19-2014, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

Oh come on! People complain about its looks again This is exactly what people were calling for: a modern black DSLR design. The mode dial is interesting, being on the back. And the LED lights! Smile detection seems odd, though. I mean, I know lots of people that don't smile much lol
Looks like it will be a DSLR, around the size of the K-x. Small entry level, K-mount, a K-500 replacement. No tilt screen, unfortunately. I do wonder what sensor it will have, though. Will it be the same as K-3? I doubt they would use the "old" 16MP sensor yet again. I doubt it is mirrorless, since and EVF would take much less space than the big bulky VF we see here.
This camera probably isn't for me, but I hope it brings in a lot of new users to the K-mount family! Because when teens and young people will be choosing their first DLSR, they might like those fancy LED lights and sleek design. Most DSLRs still look like machines from the 90s, with dark, textured plastic shell

EDIT: Do you think it might have a TOUCHSCREEN?? Because the screen on the backside has a digital menu for the buttons ISO, flash, WB..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-19-2014 at 07:39 AM.
08-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
but I hope it brings in a lot of new users to the K-mount family!
That's the all-encompassing, long-term, Ricoh Imaging survival strategy.