08-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
instead of buttons for ISO, flash, WB..
it has buttons for those, on the 4 way controller

08-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
It's an entry level DSLR. For those that want one this might be a good option. For others it's only of interest if it turns out that it does in fact have integrated WiFi, GPS, companion apps etc, because this might signal a change in Ricoh's general approach.
Depends on the weight: If it's really lightweight it may be interesting as a second lightweight camera (with DA limiteds!) for enthusiasts.
08-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Depends on the weight: If it's really lightweight it may be interesting as a second lightweight camera (with DA limiteds!) for enthusiasts.
That's true.

Although, I seem to remember reading somewhere that all future Pentax DSLRs would feature pentaprism viewfinders - even the entry level ones. This would add to the weight a little.
08-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #139
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm really interested to see the specs and features of this. The sensor, the AF, the interface could all be new. In particular, I'm interested in the weight. Canon's small DSLR s about 400g, the same as the Olympus EM-5. If this is roughly the same, you could put the DA40 on it and still be under 500g and lighter than any Pentax DSLR body to date. Pentax has plenty of small, light lenses. Incidentally, it would also be lighter than many superzooms, such as the 600g XG-1 that just came out. I think that's the big story with this camera - a camera that is as light as a EVF-equipped mirrorless camera, but still has a TTL viewfinder. I hope it also has good connectivity functions, even if I don't need them myself.

08-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Has no one else mentioned the lack of a front control wheel?
Everyone lauded the K-500 for being one of the best bang for the buck cameras because, even though it didn't have all the features of the K-50, it was still ergonomically excellent.

For years, people here chided the NEX, now we have a camera that has the same ergonomics as a NEX and they are applauding it as "futuristic"...
LOL. How very predictable.
08-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Indeed. It's an entry-level camera; why are the hyper-enthusiast onanists getting so upset?
It might be a really neat camera but if its truly an entry-level camera it won't sell any at all in the USA unless RIAC has distribution in Target, Best Buy, Costco and Walmart. How likely is that without television ads to goose the store turns?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2014 at 08:23 AM.
08-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Battery life should be 'interesting' since there isn't enough room in the grip for a decent size one ...

08-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
applauding it as "futuristic"... LOL. How very predictable.
I don't see much applause. Much more skepticism
08-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm really interested to see the specs and features of this. The sensor, the AF, the interface could all be new. In particular, I'm interested in the weight. Canon's small DSLR s about 400g, the same as the Olympus EM-5. If this is roughly the same, you could put the DA40 on it and still be under 500g and lighter than any Pentax DSLR body to date. Pentax has plenty of small, light lenses. Incidentally, it would also be lighter than many superzooms, such as the 600g XG-1 that just came out. I think that's the big story with this camera - a camera that is as light as a EVF-equipped mirrorless camera, but still has a TTL viewfinder. I hope it also has good connectivity functions, even if I don't need them myself.
Unless they have completely re-designed SR, it will not be a light camera.
Most likely it will be close to 600g without lens and battery.
08-19-2014, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #145
Veteran Member

Instead of being water proof, this model squirts water at the subject. It is also the first mirror/less hybrid: the mirror reflects light into the photosensor for the EVF, which in turn rotates downwards in order to put the sensor in photography position (and incidentally, the hyrdaulic bladder used to actuate this serves as the water spritzer).

Also, a novel mechanism for the batteries and memory cards: when unloading, new ones keep coming out of the body for what seems like minutes... this is all part of the Clown mode.
08-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Well, I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now. First the K-5 II/S came out and everyone grumbled "Not much of an upgrade from the K-5".... grumble, grumble... Then the K-50/500...... "Not much of an upgrade from the K-30... and it looks too much like a Canon.." grumble, grumble.... Then the K-3... "Not an FF.... what's that funny-looking bulge....video not as good as Canon..." grumble, grumble.... And I won't mention the Q, Q10, Q7 and MX-1.....grumble grumble...

I'm beginning to detect a pattern here. I won't buy this camera, but I hope many do - not members of this forum, as we're already committed Pentaxians (I think), but new people, looking for something a bit different from the "they all look the same" camera makers or the faux retro crowd of mirrorless wonders (may they burn in Hell). All I want, and I suspect many here want, is for Pentax to be alive and well and making great cameras that we can fit our K-mount lenses on, 20 years hence (not that I'm likely to be around)!
08-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #147
Pentaxian

The more I think about this K-S1, the more I think it's brilliant.

I hope it's for real.
08-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh come on! People complain about its looks again This is exactly what people were calling for: a modern black DSLR design.
Yes, but it must look like a Sony, Olympus, or Fuji

Regarding the complaints about features: this indeed is an entry level camera, designed to be cheap. Sorry, it won't beat the K-3 and it won't bring amazing features and performance; no entry level does. Still, it might have an improvement or two compared to the K-50; we'll see.
08-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #149

I am not that familiar with Pentax's numbering scheme. Does the "S1" used on this camera and the Q-S1 mean entry level?

Anyway, it is amusing that after talk about the Q-S1 has died down a bit, this information comes out. Maybe Pentax is better at marketing than we think.
08-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #150
Pentaxian

I'm surprised by the overall negative response.

This design seems to be seriously compact and has a nice (French inspired?) aesthetics to it. Remove the ugly kit lens and put an FA 43 on it, and I'm sure it will look great. I like the original thinking behind the new mode dial. Makes much more sense than cramming it in somewhere on the top plate.

It is obviously targeted to a young generation and while I personally think that someone at Pentax is colour-blind (in particular the blue "OK" button pushes it over the edge of "tasteful"), maybe all these colours will contribute to making it a hit amongst youngsters.

I don't see why this camera should not have as good as it gets ergonomics for a camera of this size and overall it makes much more sense to me than the K-01.