Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I think Pentax has made some excellent choices with this camera. Most importantly, the simplified control layout will have a lot of appeal for beginners looking to upgrade from a smartphone to a DSLR. You only have to read some of the beginners' questions on this forum to realise how bewildering all the buttons and dials on a DSLR can be for people just starting out. A non-scary looking DSLR is a great idea.

As for the optical vs electronic viewfinder: switching to an EVF would be the beginning of the end for the K Mount. It would be pointless making cameras with over 4cm of empty space where the mirror box used to be, just to keep the correct lens registration distance. An EVF would have to mean a new mount with a shorter flange length, plus an expensive new range of lenses, which is a heck of an investment in a crowded mirrorless market. With the K-S1 they've made the very sensible choice of keeping an optical viewfinder, which saves development costs and also offers a marketing lever: a mirrorless-sized camera with a full optical viewfinder.

Remember that the big hump on top of the camera isn't the pentaprism's fault anyway; the prism on an APS-C camera is actually tiny. The reason for the hump is the built-in flash that the market demands.

And if I hear one more complaint about the freakin' lights I'm going to smash my keyboard over my head. Does anyone really think Pentax would be dumb enough not to include a menu option to turn the lights off? The row of lights on the grip are just the self-timer countdown anyway--just an updated version of the red LED that already flashes on your existing DSLR.

08-20-2014, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #272
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
And if I hear one more complaint about the freakin' lights I'm going to smash my keyboard over my head. Does anyone really think Pentax would be dumb enough not to include a menu option to turn the lights off? The row of lights on the grip are just the self-timer countdown anyway--just an updated version of the red LED that already flashes on your existing DSLR.
And since we don't even know what the lights are used for, it doesn't make sense to criticize their inclusion. It strikes me that a single indicator light can only show "yes/no" whereas a line of five lights can show "how much". So it's likely that they will be used to indicate something when set in timer mode or otherwise viewed from the front. Since they would be covered by the user's hand, it seems unlikely that they will be used during normal shooting.
08-20-2014, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #273
Pentaxian

Dave, I recommend to buy one of these, asap: New Wireless Flexible Folding Roll Up Silicone Rubber Keyboard for PC Laptop | eBay

I think you are getting it - I agree with pretty much everything you said, perhaps except the exact LED function needs to be confirmed (being for the self timer is plausible - but who knows what other gimmick function they could have?). Thank you - and the others who tried to understand this product - for adding common sense to this forum.
It might not look perfect, but what camera does? (now I'll be bombarded with Fuji, Sony, Olympus models...) You're summing it up perfectly: "a non-scary looking DSLR". It might be exactly what Pentax needs.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-20-2014 at 02:07 AM.
08-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very good point.

08-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #275
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A lot of people here seem to think that making a non-scary DSLR is something Pentax should feel ashamed of. Apparently the average guy doesn't deserve to have a camera anymore. He shouldn't aspire to take better family snaps. He should just stick to his smartphone and be happy. Meanwhile, in another thread we discuss plunging sales in the camera market and wonder why.

Anyway, unlike the K-01, this camera has TAv mode, so it isn't as dumbed down as some are trying to make out. If it's light enough, it could be a great second body for a K-3 owner who wants to travel light sometimes.
08-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #276
Veteran Member

By looking at the pictures, do you think it will have a pentaprism och just mirror?
08-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Remember that the big hump on top of the camera isn't the pentaprism's fault anyway; the prism on an APS-C camera is actually tiny. The reason for the hump is the built-in flash that the market demands.
the flash don't add that much to the size of the bump, most of it is the prism and other parts that are related to the prism (light meter, AF point display...) and hotshoe.
The volume of the bump would be smaller without flash, but the flash don't take much more space than for instance the AF-point display.

Cross sections of Pentax DSLRs
Pentax K-30 vs K-5 IIs Cross Sections - Photokina 2012 - Pentax News & Photo Resources

08-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
By looking at the pictures, do you think it will have a pentaprism och just mirror?
I had read somewhere (although I can't remember where) that Pentax had said that all future DSLRs would have prisms. I think on the argument that if the distinguishing feature of your camera is an OVF then it should be the best type of an OVF.
08-20-2014, 02:46 AM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
A lot of people here seem to think that making a non-scary DSLR is something Pentax should feel ashamed of. Apparently the average guy doesn't deserve to have a camera anymore. He shouldn't aspire to take better family snaps. He should just stick to his smartphone and be happy. Meanwhile, in another thread we discuss plunging sales in the camera market and wonder why.

Anyway, unlike the K-01, this camera has TAv mode, so it isn't as dumbed down as some are trying to make out. If it's light enough, it could be a great second body for a K-3 owner who wants to travel light sometimes.
A lot of people on this forum believe that Pentax should have a line up that consists of a D610 equivalent, a D800 equivalent, and a D4s equivalent (or substitute mirrorless full frame for those). But why they are so concerned about the look of the entry level camera and its LED lights is beyond me. Pentax knows that upper end camera buyers are conservative. They have never offered a K5 or K3 in colors (other than special editions). They aren't going to start tweaking appearance or adding funny things to it now.
08-20-2014, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how many people sold their D4 and D800E because they dislike the D3200? I wonder how many Canon 5D mk3 shooters decided to leave canon because the Rebel is used by so many amateurs? Only in Pentaxland do we demand everyone using a Pentax takes nothing but technically perfect, artistic photos, and only uses the flagship camera with high-end lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yep. This is why the K-01 was so disliked - "derp who would take me seriously as a photographer if I have a small yellow camera?" The answer, of course, would be anyone that sees you make good photos or photos of important family events, parades, etc.
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
I'd suggest the dragon from Ljubljana would give it a sense of feistiness.
Like my avatar?
08-20-2014, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I wonder how many people sold their D4 and D800E because they dislike the D3200? I wonder how many Canon 5D mk3 shooters decided to leave canon because the Rebel is used by so many amateurs? Only in Pentaxland do we demand everyone using a Pentax takes nothing but technically perfect, artistic photos, and only uses the flagship camera with high-end lenses.

Yep. This is why the K-01 was so disliked - "derp who would take me seriously as a photographer if I have a small yellow camera?" The answer, of course, would be anyone that sees you make good photos or photos of important family events, parades, etc.

Like my avatar?
I am a dyed in the wool pentaxian and so I guess I too should hate the K01 for its simplicity and querky non-serious look. I guess I am not such a purist after all - I own two K01 and love them.

So taking the risk with this new design is not about the purists but more about getting market share. I for one want to see Pentax survivie as the more profitable/ successful they are the more likely we will see what many want - a FF with kicker abilities.

Mark
08-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #282
Veteran Member

The Kodak Pixpro S-1 (note the similarity with K-S1) has a mode that automatically takes a photo when a cat or dogs face is detected. I sure hope the Pentax has this - and a mode for unicorns, too!
08-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #283

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
The Kodak Pixpro S-1 (note the similarity with K-S1) has a mode that automatically takes a photo when a cat or dogs face is detected. I sure hope the Pentax has this - and a mode for unicorns, too!
My Sony HX20V has smile detection and surprisingly it works. It also has a function that will take a still during video shooting if the camera detects a smile. Gimmicky for sure but someone in marketing has decided its worth having!
08-20-2014, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #284
Veteran Member

19 pages on a rumor..not bad! I'm still not convinced about its looks, but it indeed convinces me of something else: Ricoh is giving its designers liberty in creating design concepts that don't follow the big two; hence the huge changes between the K-30, K-50/500 and then this one (if it's real).

This tells me that Ricoh is CONFIDENT with the people working in Pentax R&D to fund ideas like this. If the outer shell of the product was produced at this level of design freedom, who knows how much empowered are the people working for the internals?
08-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... but will it come in Pepto Bismol / Bubble Gum Pink?