Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@ danis anis: "amazing ergonomics"???

I dont know what shape your hand is, but you're going to have to be a contortionist with your thumb so it doesnt accidentally trigger stuff off when you are holding it. Or perhaps you have especially strong thumbs and only use the tip of it to hold on the back of your camera. Me, I like a decent grippy area and this camera (as it is at the moment, hopefully its WRONG) has almost none

08-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
So this means we have another version of the white 18-55mm. This one in white and grey. I'm thinking the black one here has a cover (removable?) over the connection part for the hood.
The white has it too. Cleaner than just leaving the unused lens hood bayonet exposed...or maybe the "cover" isn't removable and there is no provision for a bayonet hood.
08-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Looks like a transitional product that's just waiting for the chance to toss the prism and mount. It almost looks like those elements are modular and have been slipped on over a Sony body.
(...).
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I thought for a moment that a mirrorless-looking grip was stuck inside a traditional mirrorbox. And wondered if the thing is made from two pieces. But it seems it isn't.
(...)
A reminiscence of the Ace-mount / Pentaflex project?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A prototype system close to what you are describing was developed by Pentax Ricoh Imaging R&D department in 2012 and early 2013 under the name of "Pentaflex" and reported back here. This was a modular camera with:

- a mirrorless, viewfinderless body with a new mount, totally electronic, with a large diameter and a short register, then called 'Ace' mount (as being superior to K-King and Q-Queen)
- an electronic viewfinder one could plug on top of the body
- alternatively, the 'Pentaflex' module one could plug on the front and top of the body, comprising a K mount, a mirror box (partly 'penetrating inside' the Ace-mount), its mirror, an optical viewfinder, a dedicated phase-detection autofocus system, an actuator to settle the aperture on K-mount lenses (with full retrocompatibility with K and M lenses) and an AF motor
- two more simple K-to-Ace adapters, both with SDM/DC contacts, one with AF motor, one without (the one without AF motor being targeted to SDM, DC and non-AF lenses), both without optical viewfinder but compatible with the electronic one and including a simple, mechanical aperture coupling (think K-to-Q adapter)
- dedicated Ace-mount lenses with electronic aperture, focus-by-wire and stepper motors.

Then Ricoh people took the power within Pentax Ricoh Imaging, the launch of K50/K500 was slightly postponed to make way for that of the Ricoh GR (which was initially branded Pentax and eventually Ricoh), Pentax Ricoh Imaging was renamed Ricoh Imaging and, from mid-April 2013 on, I never heard of the Pentaflex project any more except, indirectly, in July 2013 from asahi man here:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Not this year.
But it looks like a classic dslr in K-3 Style and K mount and later a mirrorless with a new mount,but compatible with K SDM mount by converter
But it is not sure,the second camera
As Kunzite points out,
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think Ricoh found out that modular things don't work/sell.
08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #349
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Gosh, I don;t get it. What is so freaky about this camera for people?
The cheesy LEDs on the grip, the almost nonexistent grip itself, and the cartoonish control wheel on the back.

Steve

08-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The green light remind me of those on my router....perhap that is what it is, they turn on to indicate that you have WIFI, G3, G4 etc connection!?
08-20-2014, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #351
Banned

And as I presumed, the average old kit lens does not look well on this; looks incongruent.
But then I saw the white version, much better photographs and I think that with a white kit lens, or any other DA Limited lens for that matter, this will be an absolutely gorgeous camera.
I presume it will be made for average users willing to taste best of both worlds, even more simplified in operation than a DSLR, with lots of visual and engaging feedback.

I have now totally changed my mind upon seeing more information and photographs — this will be an excellent addition to the Pentax lineup.

08-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I would think that people would be happy with any full frame from Pentax. They are desperate.
You underestimate us.

08-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #353
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The cheesy LEDs on the grip, the almost nonexistent grip itself, and the cartoonish control wheel on the back.

Steve
Without a proper grip I cannot see them fitting a decent sized battery. LEDs will contribute an interesting cast to long exposures - I just hope you can turn it off. Pentax should be about function not looks. Was the designer on LSD?

Last edited by Parallax; 08-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Without a proper grip I cannot see them fitting a decent sized battery. LEDs will contribute an interesting cast to long exposures - I just hope you can turn it off. Pentax should be about function not looks. Was the designer on LSD?
Deep breath...

Last edited by Parallax; 08-20-2014 at 07:12 PM.
08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #355
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Deep breath...
In fact they should rename this the Pentax L-SD.
08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Do we know what functional purpose the LEDs may serve? Or are they merely for looks?
08-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #357
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Do we know what functional purpose the LEDs may serve? Or are they merely for looks?
Definitely mean something. LED around the shutter release button was noticed in both green and red colour and that can be significant visual feedback about shooting modes. I presume we'll know more in a few days.
08-20-2014, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #358
Veteran Member

I am vety happy to see Pentax is not following the desigh pattern of the big 2. This look great and plese do not forget Pentax main market is Asia and they love these thing.
08-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #359
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
And as I presumed, the average old kit lens does not look well on this; looks incongruent.
But then I saw the white version, much better photographs and I think that with a white kit lens, or any other DA Limited lens for that matter, this will be an absolutely gorgeous camera.
I presume it will be made for average users willing to taste best of both worlds, even more simplified in operation than a DSLR, with lots of visual and engaging feedback.

I have now totally changed my mind upon seeing more information and photographs — this will be an excellent addition to the Pentax lineup.
This camera makes me think of John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever. Can you imagine this guy with the white
cam in hand? They are made for one another!

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/f33bcc7ea1fcdb9f4f33c6e0f2c6f4ac.jpg

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 02:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Without a proper grip I cannot see them fitting a decent sized battery. LEDs will contribute an interesting cast to long exposures - I just hope you can turn it off. Pentax should be about function not looks. What the f*ck have they done? Was the designer on LSD?
Man, you seem to think that this cam was engineered by bored housewives. I'm sure the Pentax people have thought about all these issues. The thing looks great! Please God, make it mirrorless - and full frame!

Last edited by Ash; 08-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.
08-20-2014, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #360
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I like the look of this in white very much. The only point in buying a K-500 was if you couldn't find a K-50 or K-30 discounted to an acceptable price. This actually gives us an interesting new option, rather than a cost-cut version.

I'd love them to do a prime kit. How about the K-S1 with colour-matched DA35 and DA50 lenses?

I'm sure these "leaks" are highly controlled. Note that we know the dimensions but not the weight. And there's still no indication of Wi-Fi support. I expect Flu-card support at least, but since there's likely to be only one card slot, I'd much rather have built-in Wi-Fi.