Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
27 pages and not one of people disliking it pointed out that this abomination fails so bad, Ricoh wouldn't even sign it.

Probably because that's perceived as one of its rare advantages.
So now NOT putting Ricoh on the camera is a bad thing. It's getting really difficult to keep up with the whining and nit-picking around here.

I've never seen people so intent on inventing faults on products they have no intention of buying.

08-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
So now NOT putting Ricoh on the camera is a bad thing. It's getting really difficult to keep up with the whining and nit-picking around here.

I've never seen people so intent on inventing faults on products they have no intention of buying.

Hey I like it. I don't even mind the Ricoh thing. But we got to keep the bashing going so it can get discounted fast.

08-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Ugly, pointless
I agree - but enough about the negative comments, let's talk about the camera!

The underlying design of the K-S1 appears to be derived from the K-01. The length of the 'snoot' and position of the flash shoe are the same, and not like any of the DSLRs. The thickness of the grip and position of the thumbwheel and shutter buttons are very close, only the K-S1 has a thumbrest exactly where some folks have been adding one to the K-01. I think people who were able to adapt to the K-01 won't have any problems with the S1, and it will probably be easy to use one-handed.
08-21-2014, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #409
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote

Well, Pentaxforum is the main meeting place for grumpy old pentaxians.

08-21-2014, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Well, Pentaxforum is the main meeting place for grumpy old pentaxians.
We're the camera nerd equivalents of Statler and Waldorf!
08-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I hugged my K-01 today and whispered in it's ear, "You're gonna have a baby brother!"
I showed the K-S1 pictures to my K-01s, and they gave their SR chassis a good "clunk", which I take to mean they are happy to have a new sibling.
08-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Hey I like it. I don't even mind the Ricoh thing. But we got to keep the bashing going so it can get discounted fast.

Ah, gotcha.

08-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #413
ogl
Banned

I know only one thing - K-S1 will cut a splash...Unusual thing again.

First idea: Looks like new GXR version. Mount+pentaprism+back part looks removable. But it could be illusion, of course.
08-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I thought that reproducing an image of the four-way controller on the rear screen (in conjunction with existing settings) would be a bit pointless if it wasn't a touch screen.
I think the reproduction of the controller on the LCD is an aid to identify which mode the the controller is presently set to. It has a dual function: settings and AF point selection
08-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It'll be the next K-01! Bash it now, then praise it later when it's $299
08-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #416

That thing is hideous. Smile thing is too gimmicky.
08-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I thought that reproducing an image of the four-way controller on the rear screen (in conjunction with existing settings) would be a bit pointless if it wasn't a touch screen.
Reproducing the 4-way controller on the back screen isn't new. e.g. the K-30 does it. It lets you know that you're not in AF-select mode, as the 4-way controller image is replaced by the AF selection grid if you are.
08-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #418
Veteran Member

The view from the top is interesting as it gives an even greater impression that the camera is modular and made up of two major components - the mount/prism/display "module" with a grip module slid in-between. As I said earlier today, this camera hints at a possible future direction via a modular camera and/or a mirrorless made from the thin grip that looks like it slides into the other section. Either way, and if nothing else, this stylistic development will allow acceptance of a mirrorless camera that looks like it belongs in the product line.

I also like the fact that the right side (front view) is almost gone and that all the controls are moved to the right hand.

I quite like this camera so far.
08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #419
Veteran Member

Once again, I reiterate, it's cool and has lots of potential. Depending on the video codec quality I may get it just for video!

I'm hoping.... good video codec with full 1080p 30fps, 60fps would be even better! a dedicated mic in and headphone out would be nice but not needed, and the tilty screen... same control over exposure and audio as the K3? ohhhh myyyy, I think I got a new video camera. but I'm probably not going to get that from an intro level camera
08-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #420
Veteran Member

I doubt it'll have good video codec if they didn't get that right with the k-3 and the 645Z (I think it was hinted that the latest Prime processor is the issue). That being said, if it comes in at a very low price, k-500 price, and it is packed with features - it should be a winner in my book. That white one is gorgeous. I might just sell my k-01 to get this.