Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I doubt it'll have good video codec if they didn't get that right with the k-3 and the 645Z (I think it was hinted that the latest Prime processor is the issue). That being said, if it comes in at a very low price, k-500 price, and it is packed with features - it should be a winner in my book. That white one is gorgeous. I might just sell my k-01 to get this.
yea thats what I'm worried about too. The codec is the biggest drawback of the K3 in my opinion from becoming a great video machine. The handling characteristics while hand holding rig-free with the K3 is much better than my D800. Especially when using manual focus with a lens like the FA31. It's too bad the video codec is what it is.

08-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #422
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The view from the top is interesting as it gives an even greater impression that the camera is modular and made up of two major components - the mount/prism/display "module" with a grip module slid in-between. As I said earlier today, this camera hints at a possible future direction via a modular camera and/or a mirrorless made from the thin grip that looks like it slides into the other section. Either way, and if nothing else, this stylistic development will allow acceptance of a mirrorless camera that looks like it belongs in the product line.

I also like the fact that the right side (front view) is almost gone and that all the controls are moved to the right hand.

I quite like this camera so far.
It depends what you mean by modular. Modular for whom? I doubt very much that the user will be able to pull off the mirror assembly to convert the camera from DSLR to mirrorless.

But it strikes me that it might be modular from the manufacturer's point of view, allowing them to easily develop DSLRs and mirrorless cameras on the same platform - similar to the way car manufacturers share huge amounts of development cost between different models by basing them on the same platform. I can almost imagine Ricoh flipping a switch on the production line and having a very similar looking mirrorless model come out at the other end.

For now, I'm just looking forward to seeing the rest of the specs and the price.
08-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #423
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I might just sell my k-01 to get this.
Blasphemy! Tho' seriously, the more I look at it, the more I think it's the long-lost K-02 with an OVF. It's smaller in exactly the right places for a K-01 with the D-Li109.
08-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm going to sit my K-01 down at the dining table, and . . .
"I'm sorry, K-01. There's no easy way to say this, but . . ."
Try the 'ole "it's not you, it's me." Let us know how it goes.

08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #425
Veteran Member

Probably the K-S1

Here's a post from Pentax Malta.
Attached Images

08-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #426
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
OK...

Hopefully this extends beyond the design and slimmer "selfie-friendly" grip to include features like built in WiFi.
08-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #427

It depends what you mean by modular. Modular for whom? I doubt very much that the user will be able to pull off the mirror assembly to convert the camera from DSLR to mirrorless.

But it strikes me that it might be modular from the manufacturer's point of view, allowing them to easily develop DSLRs and mirrorless cameras on the same platform - similar to the way car manufacturers share huge amounts of development cost between different models by basing them on the same platform. I can almost imagine Ricoh flipping a switch on the production line and having a very similar looking mirrorless model come out at the other end.

For now, I'm just looking forward to seeing the rest of the specs and the price.
But it strikes me that it might be modular from the manufacturer's point of view, allowing them to easily develop DSLRs and mirrorless cameras on the same platform
Exactly my thoughts, it's what I posted on the other thread "Pentax K-S1 = a new GR/GXR + an adapter?"..

This would allow them for example to offer a version without the OVF, or to offer a mirrorless option.... or one trillion combinations of colours

08-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW. I rumored about a 20 mp dslr camera back in April 2013. who new it would take this long to come to fruition? Not sure about the looks but let see what it can do. It may have a few surprises for us.
08-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #429
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I think this camera will be a big success for Pentax, specially for young generation and women.
That would be children and women (people with small hands).

Steve

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 09:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
It does have a mirror. Lots of pictures of DSLRs are taken with the mirror up to show off the sensor.
The mirror is obviously down. The view shows a mirror box that is essentially the same as in other current Pentax dSLRs.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 09:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
There is a Pentax Malta?

Steve
08-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Touch Screen and an intuitive interface including connectivity for camera phone users might be a good selling point for newbies.
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Blasphemy! Tho' seriously, the more I look at it, the more I think it's the long-lost K-02 with an OVF. It's smaller in exactly the right places for a K-01 with the D-Li109.
Well depending on the price, I might get it as an addition and not a replacement. I love my k-01, but the white K-S1 is just beautiful to me. My old k-x was white too...
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #432
Veteran Member

Pentax K-L1 - It's what's inside that counts!
Attached Images

08-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #433
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a Pentax Malta?
Oh...I see. Pentax Malta is a FB page for the Pentax/Ricoh dealer on the small island nation.

Steve
08-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #434
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mmichalak Quote
Exactly my thoughts, it's what I posted on the other thread "Pentax K-S1 = a new GR/GXR + an adapter?"..

This would allow them for example to offer a version without the OVF, or to offer a mirrorless option.... or one trillion combinations of colours
Only if the mirrorless module is called the KF-U2.
08-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be children and women (people with small hands).

Steve
I have large hands, but have used many camera the last 30 years with smaller grip than on K-S1 without any problem.
Many of these cameras haven't had a protruding grip at all.

I might get K-S1 just because it looks like a fun camera to use, and I also want encourage Ricoh/Pentax for trying to create something unique.

---------- Post added 21-08-14 at 19:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Pentax K-L1 - It's what's inside that counts!
That would be K-XL1 (K-S1, K-M1 and K-L1 is all APS-C cameras).