Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I have large hands, but have used many camera the last 30 years with smaller grip than on K-S1 without any problem.
Many of these cameras haven't had a protruding grip at all.

I might get K-S1 just because it looks like a fun camera to use, and I also want encourage Ricoh/Pentax for trying to create something unique.

The grip looks better than the k-01, and I'm able to hold that no problem.
Now, my Super ME on the other hand....

08-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #437
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The grip looks better than the k-01, and I'm able to hold that no problem.
Now, my Super ME on the other hand....
The K-01 has many rubber gripper ribs, this has an indent that appears to be narrower than the diameter of my finger. As for cameras with smaller/no grip, I must admit that my K-3 is the only camera on my shelf with a real grip and I am thankful for it. My Super Program as two protrusions that are labeled front and rear grip, but both are ineffective unless teamed with the accessory case. When the case is on, that camera works very nicely due to the shape of the ramps for both grips. It is easily the best-handling SLR I own.*

Steve

* The order of precedence for the top five on my shelf is Super Program, K-3, Ricoh XR7, FED-2, and Ricoh XR-2s. The worst is probably the Yashica 44 TLR.
08-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #438
Veteran Member

The rubber ribs aren't really too useful for me the way I carry my cameras. I usually let it hang on the grip with my fingers sticking into the indents to keep it from swinging around. The k-01 lacks the indents so I actually have to press my fingers into the body to hold onto it. The Super ME lacking any form of grip makes my hand tired after 20-30 minutes of holding it that way.

By contrast, I can hold my k-x/k-3 with a Tammy 70-200 in that position for hours without fatigue.
08-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #439
Veteran Member

One guy on Photorumors described new Pentax with this song on the K-S1 page, seems fitting.

08-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #440
Pentaxian

NewCameraNews thinks it's the best looking camera ever and is uniting all Pentaxicans (sic).

The only problem is, they're a satire page

I still think it's a cool camera. Especially seen from the top, it's a slick design.
08-21-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well depending on the price, I might get it as an addition and not a replacement. I love my k-01, but the white K-S1 is just beautiful to me. My old k-x was white too...
I think it's nice looking, too. I have a white K-m/K2000 in my collection (the original Stormtrooper!). Can't wait to see the other K-S1 colors.

I was considering "Snowtrooper" for the white one - or is it too early for nicknames? The gray one reminded me of one of my old old Star Wars figures, but unfortunately, he turned out to be "Death Squad Commander".

(Edit: per Google, even Kenner realized that was a bad idea, and later changed it to "Star Destroyer Commander".)

Last edited by THoog; 08-21-2014 at 01:06 PM.
08-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Bumblebee K-01 looks askance at the conventional styling of the K-S1.

08-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #443
Inactive Account

Now that I have calmed down a bit I'll say this. The camera would be fine if it was not for those LEDs. They are ghastly and I think would endanger shooting.
08-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
They are ghastly and I think would endanger shooting.
How?
08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #445
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
How?
any kind of long exposure when it is dark. I recall attempting one a few years ago (think it was about 45 seconds) and my neighbours LED christmas lights (which were not particularly bright or near) caused a catastrophic colour cast.
These are a nightmarish distraction - yes they could flash when counting down etc - but that is still a near pointless function. They make the entire camera look cheap. Not impressed.
08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #446
Veteran Member

I'm going to wildly assume there's a way to turn it off.
08-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #447
Inactive Account

I'm going to wildly assume there's a way to turn it off.
Nevertheless still pointless.
08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #448
Veteran Member

I don't really want to argue but your dislike of it is that it is ghastly and could be a problem for long exposure. Ghastly is in the eye of the beholder. A problem for long exposure is mitigated by the specific fact that it likely can be turned off. Similar to how my old k-x's blue LED on top could be turned off.

On the other hand, it can be a countdown indicator, it can be a wifi or communications signal indicator, it can be attractive to certain market segments (and those who don't care otherwise can turn it off), so as far as I am concerned - it is not pointless. It may not be the best method to implement the above-mentioned features, but I don't think it's horrid.
08-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #449
Pentaxian

I'm sure they have a function, even if it's a function you don't want. Even if it's simply cosmetic, the function is to attract buyers.

There are plenty of plain, black cameras for you to buy.
08-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #450
KX5
Forum Member

Pentax SLR prepares entry-level K-S1 - Your News Ticker

This website talks about a 24 MP and not the old 20 MP which is a non sense for a new 2015 product!