Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #451
Veteran Member

I think the 24MP makes it likely to pull customers from the K-50. Unless this is a K-50 replacement and the K-50 is discontinued/no stock. Heck, for some people it would even pull them away from the K-3, rightly or wrongly.

20MP makes that less likely.

08-21-2014, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think the 24MP makes it likely to pull customers from the K-50. Unless this is a K-50 replacement and the K-50 is discontinued/no stock. Heck, for some people it would even pull them away from the K-3, rightly or wrongly.

20MP makes that less likely.
Well, that's not how the entry level crowd thinks, thoughc

Here's a story... I know it's just an anecdotal case, but I think it's descriptive of how most people think... Just today I bought a Pentax K-r body cheap off of Craigslist from a very nice lady. Her reason to sell it? She bought a Nikon because it had more megapixels. She just shoots with a kit lens, so changes are, her pictures at 12Mp and 24Mp will look the same (especially since Pentax and Nikon have basically the same optical design for their 18-55 lenses).
Case number 2 is my boss, who went from a 6Mp Canon to the D3200 (24Mp). He is quite disappointed that his 6Mp pictures look sharper than his 24Mp pictures (when viewed on his computer). Again, someone who shoots with one camera and one lens in Program mode, and no study of technique.

That is the entry level market. You gotta give them megapickles.
08-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
Pentax SLR prepares entry-level K-S1 - Your News Ticker

This website talks about a 24 MP and not the old 20 MP which is a non sense for a new 2015 product!
What do they know? It's a new camera not a new sticker.

Besides, they are talking about the K-3 there.
08-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #454
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They also mention an electronic viewfinder.

08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #455
Veteran Member

Haha, I am pretty sure the LED lights always turn off during an exposure. Just like the timer lights and AF assist light never affect the actual photo. Ugh, what do people think, that these just constantly flash in various colours and patterns? Its still a camera, guys
08-21-2014, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
...those LEDs. They are ghastly and I think would endanger shooting.
The camera is supposed to have smile detection, right? Well, if the common folks' reaction is the same as our initial reaction to the sight of those LEDs, you're gonna need it.
08-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well, that's not how the entry level crowd thinks, thoughc

Here's a story... I know it's just an anecdotal case, but I think it's descriptive of how most people think... Just today I bought a Pentax K-r body cheap off of Craigslist from a very nice lady. Her reason to sell it? She bought a Nikon because it had more megapixels. She just shoots with a kit lens, so changes are, her pictures at 12Mp and 24Mp will look the same (especially since Pentax and Nikon have basically the same optical design for their 18-55 lenses).
Case number 2 is my boss, who went from a 6Mp Canon to the D3200 (24Mp). He is quite disappointed that his 6Mp pictures look sharper than his 24Mp pictures (when viewed on his computer). Again, someone who shoots with one camera and one lens in Program mode, and no study of technique.

That is the entry level market. You gotta give them megapickles.
Then look at the pro market too...

Sony A7s - 12mp
Sony A7 - 24mp
Sony A7r - 36mp

The A7s is the most expensive, has the best AF and the best low light... hummmm

Nikon D610 - 24
Nikon D750 *(rumored) - 24
Nikon Df - 16
Nikon D810 - 36
Nikon D4s - 16

D4s has the best low light, best AF, best buffer/fps... hummmm

08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #458
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
I'm sure they have a function, even if it's a function you don't want. Even if it's simply cosmetic, the function is to attract buyers.

There are plenty of plain, black cameras for you to buy.
Crudely adding a pair of LEDs isn't going to attract anyone. This camera is repulsive. I will not sleep tonight. The image will stick in my mind.

The problem with the L-SD, LEDs aside, is the fact that the design does not look cohesive. It looks like lots of separate ideas put into one body but never anything more than that. It is confusing. Frightfully confusing.

Last edited by chaza01; 08-24-2014 at 12:08 PM.
08-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #459
Pentaxian

Ok, thanks for that.
08-21-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #460
Pentaxian

Crudely adding a pair of LEDs isn't going to attract anyone. This camera is repulsive. I will not sleep tonight. The image will stick in my mind. I'm scarred. And scared. Scarred and scared.

I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know who to trust. Why should I continue living? I feel like a 10 year old fresh out of a Jurassic Park screening.

The problem with the L-SD, LEDs aside, is the fact that the design does not look cohesive. It looks like lots of separate ideas put into one body but never anything more than that. It is confusing. Frightfully confusing.
Yes, that is my point. Pros know the camera is just something that you put behind good glass, and that anything above, say, 10MP is good for most professional uses like portraits, sports, events, and even some landscape, if you don't print the size of a wall.

With my K20D at 14.6MP and lenses like the DA 35 2.4 and the Auto Sears 50 f2, it's unbelievable, the level of detail and clarity I see when zooming in to 100%. Even the Pentax kit lens does that in the middle of the range.

I printed a picture of my wife and our youngest son to 8.5x11.5 and it looks very good (taken with DA 35 2.4 wide open at 2.4, for nice isolation). When I zoom to 100% with my computer, I see all sorts of skin imperfections and wet snot under the kid's nose that doesn't show up in the medium size print. Since I wasn't printing large, I knew I didn't have to worry about any of these things. So if 14Mp gives me that much detail that I don't ever even see unless I'm zooming with my computer to the point that I can't even see the whole face at once, and would probably have to print in feets to see all this detail, what is the point of a 24mp camera for me?

Or, like this other co-worker that I have - he bought a Sony superzoom (like 50+ times zoom, tiny sensor, big lens) for his trip to London. Even at 1280 resolution, his pictures don't look sharp. But it's a 20MP camera! That's why he bought it - it looked "pro" and had 20 megapickles...
08-21-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crudely adding a pair of LEDs isn't going to attract anyone. This camera is repulsive. I will not sleep tonight. The image will stick in my mind. I'm scarred. And scared. Scarred and scared.

I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know who to trust. Why should I continue living? I feel like a 10 year old fresh out of a Jurassic Park screening.

Meet my ignore list.
08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #462
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Meet my ignore list.
That will give him pause for sure.
08-21-2014, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Meet my ignore list.
boriscleto'd
08-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #464
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Or, like this other co-worker that I have - he bought a Sony superzoom (like 50+ times zoom, tiny sensor, big lens) for his trip to London. Even at 1280 resolution, his pictures don't look sharp. But it's a 20MP camera! That's why he bought it - it looked "pro" and had 20 megapickles...

Yes sensor size plays a big role in IQ it seems.

I have been sucked into the Megapixels hype too. Bought a Canon P+S pocket cam.. said 16MP and optical zoom. great.

Except it wasn't. The IQ was poor even at ISO 100 and got worse quickly from there on up.

And forget CHDK and enabling RAW support... haha lipstick on a pig.
08-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
boriscleto'd
You forgot the ™