Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #481
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
the whole reason imo many people buy DSLRs is because they value the seriousness of the look of the camera
But equally, the look of DSLRs is precisely what puts a lot of people off. What looks "pro" to one person looks like an ugly black blob to another person. This camera is designed to appeal to people who don't like the pro look.

20mp is going to be completely adequate for most people. If this is supposed to be a connected camera, they need to be a bit careful about how long file transfers take. Bigger files might lead to frustrating waits as they transfer. My understanding is the 20mp Sony sensor is pretty good. In fact pretty much all APS-C sensors are good these days. People nitpick over the most trivial of performance differences, but in the end it is other aspects of camera design that make the difference.

08-21-2014, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. This was Eyjafjallahjokull. Bardarbunga means ''Pentax is back''.
08-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #483
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Probably another 'miss' but hopefully I won't be taken too seriously...
Frodo goes home after three rejected attempts to return the K-S1 to the forge of its origin.

Steve
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I was thinking ... maybe you should have a permanent "trademark sign" for announcing a boriscleto'd person ! ?? ... something with a real punch !

... by the way, I do like this new KS-1 look (hoping I won't get "boriscleto'd though )

Cheers!
I don't know if I'd like it, myself, (probably would want to tape over those lights in a hurry, at least,) but in a way it kind of looks like what I'd get if I bought like a Sony mirrorless and K-mount adapter and then ended up wishing for some magical creature to put a mirror box and prism on it. )

Kind of wondering what it'd look like with pancakey/Limited lenses on there, though: as practicalities go it looks like it'd take up very little space in a bag, (for a DSLR) maybe with a couple-few lenses

08-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-S1 will cut a splash
You are right. Like the K-01, the K-S1 has already generated lots of publicity simply through its design, even before the camera hits the market. And all that publicity doesn't cost Ricoh a cent.

In the stores, the design will give visibility in a crowded camera field, and the novel design and features like the LED's up front plus the flashy rear of the camera will give camera store salesmen plenty of hooks to use to engage potential buyers.
08-21-2014, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You are right. Like the K-01, the K-S1 has already generated lots of publicity simply through its design, even before the camera hits the market. And all that publicity doesn't cost Ricoh a cent.

In the stores, the design will give visibility in a crowded camera field, and the novel design and features like the LED's up front plus the flashy rear of the camera will give camera store salesmen plenty of hooks to use to engage potential buyers.
How dare they put a Pentax in a store!
08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
"Window$"? But I thought your Mac cost 300% more than my Windows based PC... and performs the same functions. Shouldn't it be £M¥AC$ instead?
I have a Mac mini I bought the same year as my K-x. There have been 4 OS upgrades since then and none has cost me more than $20. The last one was free and the next one will be too when it is ready for download in a few weeks. And my 2009 Mac mini will be able to run it.

08-21-2014, 05:47 PM - 2 Likes   #488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
How dare they put a Pentax in a store!
Yes indeed. That's the first hurdle they need to clear. However the modern design and flashing lights will also work really well on Home Shopping Network, YouTube etc. It will look good on video.

The design bonus is that it's not a generic looking camera. People will want to talk about it and maybe check it out in person.
08-21-2014, 05:59 PM - 4 Likes   #489

I am new here like to say hi. I first got on here to research about the k3 because I am thinking about leaving nikon and get me a pentax. Well the reason I am posting here I was looking at the white pic of the ks1. I asked my son that can't stand photography what he thinks of this camera. He said that is the best looking camera ever made (I all most fell out of my chair) I asked why do you like it. He said it's modern looking don't have all them ugly buttons all over it. Now this is from and 18 year old that has never even looked at any of my camera's. I guess pentax new what they where doing when they design this one. It's not for me I am getting the k3 but when this hits the market my boy will have one.
08-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kdgrif Quote
I am new here like to say hi. I first got on here to research about the k3 because I am thinking about leaving nikon and get me a pentax. Well the reason I am posting here I was looking at the white pic of the ks1. I asked my son that can't stand photography what he thinks of this camera. He said that is the best looking camera ever made (I all most fell out of my chair) I asked why do you like it. He said it's modern looking don't have all them ugly buttons all over it. Now this is from and 18 year old that has never even looked at any of my camera's. I guess pentax new what they where doing when they design this one. It's not for me I am getting the k3 but when this hits the market my boy will have one.
You've got to think that's the target, or at least he hits some of the demographics they are targeting. I would have to think they are targeting totally different groups than they were with the K-500, and different than the Q-S1 also. It may work, it may fail, but that's the kinds of things you do to sell more cameras, of course getting them in stores wouldn't hurt.
08-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #491
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have a Mac mini I bought the same year as my K-x. There have been 4 OS upgrades since then and none has cost me more than $20. The last one was free and the next one will be too when it is ready for download in a few weeks. And my 2009 Mac mini will be able to run it.
Not sure what point you are making in response to mine since the point I was making is that Windows based PCs are not as expensive as Macintoshes.. (A claim you seem to make with the dollar sign on the end of Window -- 'Window$')

You seem to be stating something about longevity of the system though..

Yet I'm using a Athlon64 system from 2007 on which to play (modern) games... outside of an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 (which was $50) and an optional videocard upgrade, it hasn't been touched either. You can't even upgrade the video on your Mac Mini.. but I digress..

Not that it matters either way.. but I thought it funny you added that dollar sign..
08-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #492
Pentaxian

boriscleto'd™ is doomed™?
08-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #493
Veteran Member

This thread is so long I am not sure if anyone has posted the updates at this link: thenewcamera/

Supposed Specs:

20 mP APS-C CMOS sensor -
LCD monitor 3 inches 921 000 dots. Aspect ratio is 3: 2. Touch panel is not mounted.
ISO100-51200
video 1920 x 1080,30fps, stereo
built-in camera shake correction
The battery D-LI109
120 mm x 92.5 mm x 69.5mm size

The camera looks to be real. To fake this in Grey and White would be hard.

I don't mind the design. I think the grip is going to be more ergonomic than people think. The view from above the shape of the grip looks to mimic more closely the shape fingers naturally form. Pentax has been best in this respect to ergonomics over the other manufacturers.
08-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #494
Veteran Member

This made me lol, literally.
08-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not sure what point you are making in response to mine since the point I was making is that Windows based PCs are not as expensive as Macintoshes.. (A claim you seem to make with the dollar sign on the end of Window -- 'Window$')

You seem to be stating something about longevity of the system though..

Yet I'm using a Athlon64 system from 2007 on which to play (modern) games... outside of an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 (which was $50) and an optional videocard upgrade, it hasn't been touched either. You can't even upgrade the video on your Mac Mini.. but I digress..

Not that it matters either way.. but I thought it funny you added that dollar sign..
The point is that a Mac that cost less than $600 five years ago still runs the latest OS and apps. The upgrades to that OS and (Apple) apps are free. An upgrade to the latest version of Window$ is $120 to $199. How much does an update to M$ Office cost?

Upgrading video cards...I used to do that 15 years ago.