Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #496
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not sure what point you are making in response to mine since the point I was making is that Windows based PCs are not as expensive as Macintoshes
He made the point that his investment in the Mac mini is paying off for him in the ability to run the latest software and OS upgrades in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You seem to be stating something about longevity of the system though
Perhaps... there are scores of Macs that people own that have far exceeded the expected half life of computers.
I still have a fully functional and robust perfoming MacBook from 2007. But I don't use it to play the latest games. I use it to process photos, videos and connect it wirelessly to the net.

08-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Somehow this thread turned into a Mac v. PC pissing contest when it's obviously supposed to be a pissing contest between Pentax and its fans.
I always thought the Pentax vs Fans contest was a bit one sided anyway. Its why that weatherproofing is popular with the products it sells.
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #498
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The point is that a Mac that cost less than $600 five years ago still runs the latest OS and apps. The upgrades to that OS and (Apple) apps are free. An upgrade to the latest version of Window$ is $120 to $199. How much does an update to M$ Office cost?

Upgrading video cards...I used to do that 15 years ago.

So what? my 7 year old $600 Athlon64 system does the same. Using it how you've used yours, I've gotten 2 extra years out of it.. Upgrade to Windows was 50 bucks and it is rock solid.. I plan to use it another 2-3 years before looking at Windows 9. Actually, the requirements for Windows 8.1 is a 1 GHZ system and 1 GB of RAM... not really dramatic requirements anyway. Upgrades to OSX are typically more frequent (yearly) but smaller.

Oh, And I use Open Office. How much does an update to MS Office cost for you? Does MS give it away for free for Mac owners? Why do you bring up MS Office when you were speaking of "Window$"? Last I checked, they were two different software packages.

Even if you wanted to upgrade the videocard, you cant with your hockey puck machine. But I guess that is the point since you bring up Office.. A computer 10 years old can run a Word Processing and a Spreadsheet application(s)... not exactly taxing the system there.

So really, you paid 600 dollars for a marginally upgradable computer with aging specs and are now paying 30 dollars per year for OSX upgrades. In the past 4 years then you've paid 120 dollars for upgrades. In that time I've paid 50. If your PC works for you great, but you're using fuzzy logic if you think it costs less than a Windows based system.

Furthermore,
08-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #499
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Somehow this thread turned into a Mac v. PC pissing contest when it's obviously supposed to be a pissing contest between Pentax and its fans.
Nah. Not anymore.

Canon Threatens Release of EOS-M3 | New Camera News

QuoteQuote:
In a surprisingly aggressive and belligerent press release, Canon has threatened to release an EOS-M3 if “various peoples (sic) don’t stop picking on us.”

08-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's hilarious, we're not alone, as so many think.
08-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #501
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Can we please stay (relatively) on topic? This Mac-vs-PC crap is unnecessary & misplaced.

When the 'Community Manager' gets in on the 'fun' then it becomes a coherent part of the discussion?

I agree though.. it did go sideways fast.. but now back to our regularly scheduled programming of guesstimating what Pentax is/is not releasing and how the K-S1 makes or breaks the entire company due to it being what each of us individually wanted to see.
08-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #502
Veteran Member

I'm starting to see those LEDs are going to play a big role in helping beginners using a DSLR handheld and on a tripod.

Anyway why no bottom-angle photos yet? Could it be possible that Pentax is hinting at a surprise grip option?

08-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #503
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Late in this thread, to me K-S1 has similar design as film *ist. Just imagining the touch screen on it.

[
*ist - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by ultraviolet; 08-21-2014 at 08:53 PM.
08-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #504
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The point is that a Mac that cost less than $600 five years ago still runs the latest OS and apps.
The PC behind me was built in 2008 for about $550 and will support Windows 7/8 with no modification. Cost breakdown to do so:
  • Windows 8.1: $116 (local geek store)
  • MS Office update: $0.00 (I use Libre Office)
I will not be doing a Windows upgrade on that machine, however. Instead the computer will soon run Linux hosting two QEMU VMs: Windows XP just for kicks and CENTOS to host database, Web and application servers for my personal proof-of-concept work and to help me keep my Un*x skills up.

So the point is that that for a similar amount of initial investment, the PC behind me can be upgraded to a modern OS for a moderate amount of money. It can also be purposed to an entirely different class of tool for zero cash out.

Apples vs. Oranges? Absolutely, though my self-built PC is that nasty tan color rather than orange. It all comes down to what tool best addresses the job to be done. The Mac Mini I could have bought for $699 in 2008 (I know the price because I actually bought one for a lady friend*) would not have met my needs at the time.

Steve

(...really likes Macs...will buy one someday when I am done spending my money on cameras...)

* Bad investment

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 08:48 PM ----------

Forget the fish dance and pissing into fans!!! This is a serious matter! A fresh threat from Canon!

Steve

Last edited by Ash; 08-22-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: language
08-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #505
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nah. Not anymore.
My fully functional Macintosh SE with Microsoft word (1987) for Mac installed.

and LCIII aka Pizza Box
08-21-2014, 09:03 PM - 2 Likes   #506
Site Supporter

Look! I have an Abacus from 1900!

Who cares what is this PCMag?

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-22-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: profanity removed.
08-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Looks like the video mode switch is on the on/off switch
That would make more sense to me then having a separate record start/stop button arrangement like the K-3.
Spent half of yesterdays shoot hitting the shutter button on a 5D2 when I wanted it to start recording video.
08-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #508
Pentaxian

I refuse to buy another rumor!! My virtual shelf is already full
08-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It depends what you mean by modular. Modular for whom? I doubt very much that the user will be able to pull off the mirror assembly to convert the camera from DSLR to mirrorless.

But it strikes me that it might be modular from the manufacturer's point of view, allowing them to easily develop DSLRs and mirrorless cameras on the same platform - similar to the way car manufacturers share huge amounts of development cost between different models by basing them on the same platform. I can almost imagine Ricoh flipping a switch on the production line and having a very similar looking mirrorless model come out at the other end.

For now, I'm just looking forward to seeing the rest of the specs and the price.
This is what I meant. Thanks
08-22-2014, 12:40 AM - 3 Likes   #510
Pentaxian

http://www.techdigest.tv/pcmaclinux.jpg