Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The AF points count can be deduced from the published images - same 11 points layout; and it makes sense to reuse an existing AF module.
If true, to me that's a major bummer. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are all making very good mirrorless cameras with top-notch auto-focus. Sony has already migrated the AF tech from the A6000 "down" to the A5100. I think Pentax should migrate the improved AF from the K-3 downward as fast as possible, and release those rumored lenses with faster AF motors on the double...

08-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
OK. Don't expect me to be too cut up if I'm wrong though. I often am! I do want to believe that they have a good model coming between this and the K-3, like that rumour suggested.
I'm not expecting such things; when I feel I can guess accurately I'll try hinting about it - that's all Your question was perfectly reasonable.

I do believe there will be an intermediary model in the not so far future, but don't know when. If the already leaked K-S1 will be announced soon, there's time for another model at Photokina... but, who knows?
However, I would not put any weight in that guessing game - I'm expecting an intermediary model, but not that "KL".
08-22-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #543
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
If true, to me that's a major bummer. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are all making very good mirrorless cameras with top-notch auto-focus. Sony has already migrated the AF tech from the A6000 "down" to the A5100. I think Pentax should migrate the improved AF from the K-3 downward as fast as possible, and release those rumored lenses with faster AF motors on the double...
K-S1 looks to be more focused on fun and ease of use. It might actually be Ricoh/Pentax version of a digital K1000 that many have asked for.
08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #544
Pentaxian

I understand what you're saying, but before that Pentax will have to launch a K-3 successor with an even better AF.
I hope we'll see such lenses.

08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #545
Veteran Member

Mirrorless has a major advantage here tho. Contrast detect and Phase Detect on chip can all be implemented in software with very little concern for tolerances or calibration. It costs almost nothing to offer similar performance in lower end models. That's not true of SLRs. The K-3's AF system is complex, and that complexity is expensive. It's not just Pentax either, anyone making SLRs today faces a similar economic problem. A "cheap" SLR has a correspondingly cheap AF system.

The demos I've seen with the A6000 are truly impressive, and it's eclipsed all but the very best of SLR AF systems and their huge price tags for such performance.
08-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It does not appear to be a geek camera. Hipster camera perhaps, but definitely not geek.

Steve
Don't forget the leds, unless no advanced function is attached to them
But otherwise ok.
08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #547
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Mirrorless has a major advantage here tho. Contrast detect and Phase Detect on chip can all be implemented in software with very little concern for tolerances or calibration. It costs almost nothing to offer similar performance in lower end models. That's not true of SLRs. The K-3's AF system is complex, and that complexity is expensive. It's not just Pentax either, anyone making SLRs today faces a similar economic problem. A "cheap" SLR has a correspondingly cheap AF system.

The demos I've seen with the A6000 are truly impressive, and it's eclipsed all but the very best of SLR AF systems and their huge price tags for such performance.
A6000 autofocus looks impressive on paper, but in reality, it's missing around 80% of action shots.
Maybe I am more familiar with K5 but I have similar results with it's continous autofocus (using af back button).
The only real advantage of A6000 is more fps so it definitely have more successfull action shots per second than k5.

08-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

Most SLR AF systems are sunk cost already meaning their economic burden was paid for generations ago. That is why the margins on DSLRs are so easily won while mirrorless struggles to deliver on the price/performance expectation.

I tried a Fuji XT-1 today. The jumpy, hesitant EVF is not there yet for me.
08-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #549
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MILC's focus speed is way over hyped imo. It's no where as fast as they want you to believe in regular usage situation; the numbers are more true in test environments.
08-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #550
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
And Kodak has a Pixpro S1...
Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon 1 S1
08-22-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Most SLR AF systems are sunk cost already meaning their economic burden was paid for generations ago. That is why the margins on DSLRs are so easily won while mirrorless struggles to deliver on the price/performance expectation.

I tried a Fuji XT-1 today. The jumpy, hesitant EVF is not there yet for me.

The costs are not "sunk." It's the precision to make an SLR work properly. That takes quality control, which is very expensive. There are at least 4 different optical paths for an SLR to work properly. The one you actually see, the one to the meter, the one to the AF module, and the one that overlays data. If any of them are out of alignment, the camera is harder to use -- and low end SLRs from every manufacture are plagued by disgruntled customers -- and always will be because the high precision needed for a excellent AF in a dSLR is expensive.

People here can deny it all they want, but phase detect on chip is much simpler to implement (it's the exact same thing an SLR uses without a bunch of mirrors and prisms in the light path). and the ship has already sailed on low end AF performance, and that's really got nothing to do with your preference of finder.
08-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
MILC's focus speed is way over hyped imo. It's no where as fast as they want you to believe in regular usage situation; the numbers are more true in test environments.
I have more faith in the A7's AF than the K-5 (admittedly four years old now).

YMMV. I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
Not sure about this - I have the K-5 IIs and the K-3, and the K-3's centre spot seems smaller to me. At least, I get more shots in focus.
08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I have more faith in the A7's AF than the K-5 (admittedly four years old now).

YMMV. I've heard the K-3 is better in speed than the K-5 but the center point is still about the same size.
No the center point is much smaller with K-3, one of the reasons I upgraded from K-5.
08-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #555
Veteran Member

I know it's smaller, it just didn't seem to be the size of the Nikon's, e.g., when we spoke about it before.