Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #601
Veteran Member

I think FF sensors at $1k are still a couple of years away. Who knows, though, Sony is rumored to have a cheap FF coming...

08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #602
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Maybe It's not actual in mainstream fashion anymore but I would like to see some camouflage textures: desert, jungle, urban camo ...
Have you seen the new Sony parfume bottle cam?
08-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Have you seen the new Sony parfume bottle cam?
If it wasn't designed to look like a perfume bottle, I'd be intrigued by that camera because it reminds me of some early-'00s compacts. Ah, such a simpler time, where the word "selfie" wasn't in the common vocabulary...
08-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think FF sensors at $1k are still a couple of years away.
Sony (in the Australian market) had the A7 selling for about $1000 recently (body only), with a promotional cashback, and a free Metabones adapter of your choice. It's not going to take long before about $1000 is the normal street price.

Roger Cicala's tear down of the A7R a while ago revealed "how much cheaper it must be to make this camera, than to make a DSLR". So $1000 FF mirrorless will probably be routine well before FF DSLR's get to that price level, if ever.

08-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #605
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
What I would like is something like this with a kick ass FF sensor at a very reasonable cost - something like $999. I would then gladly tolerate those goofy LEDs.
Your wish will come true in a few years. Just a hunch: Samsung will eventually be bringing full frame to the people. Even now the Sony a7 can be had for a mere 1000 Euros. So, the prices are already declining.
08-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #606
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can a FF camera be sold (not necessary be made) for a very low price? Yes.

Can a very cheap FF camera be a very good and versatile one? That's the question.
08-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
[...] the MILC claim of fastest focus speed in the world is overhyped. It is definitely getting way better than before but not there yet.
Did you watch the fine video I linked to before? They take an X-T1, a E-M1, an A6000, a GH4 and a D4S to a bike track. Their conclusion? The GH4 and A6000 are almost as good as any DSLR out there.

Personally, I'm not asking Pentax to match that necessarily, but when comes the time to get my next body, why should I buy a Pentax DSLR like the K-S1, that has possibly worse AF than an A6000 (also an APS-C body)? Wasn't fast AF supposed to be one of the main selling points of DSLRs? That's why I'd like the K-3 AF innovation to migrate downward ASAP, at least to the next midrange body (ie the K-50 successor). In my admittedly very limited experience, the K-3's AF is pretty good. Probably not as fast as other DSLRs, but it seems confident, decisive, and fairly quick. If Pentax doesn't migrate that tech down, what advantage is there for me in buying something like a K-S1 over, say, the (rumored new) Olympus E-PL7 or even an E-M10? Where does Pentax have an edge? Viewfinder? Price? More LEDs? I've been very happy with Pentax as a brand, and I have a stable of lenses that will eventually be looking for a new body - and maybe just that is enough to keep me around - but I'd like Pentax to be reasonably competitive, feature-wise, on a comparable price level...

08-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #608
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mmmmm. Moon Silver coupled with my three silver primes (35, 43, 77)....
08-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Did you watch the fine video I linked to before? They take an X-T1, a E-M1, an A6000, a GH4 and a D4S to a bike track. Their conclusion? The GH4 and A6000 are almost as good as any DSLR out there.

Personally, I'm not asking Pentax to match that necessarily, but when comes the time to get my next body, why should I buy a Pentax DSLR like the K-S1, that has possibly worse AF than an A6000 (also an APS-C body)? Wasn't fast AF supposed to be one of the main selling points of DSLRs? That's why I'd like the K-3 AF innovation to migrate downward ASAP, at least to the next midrange body (ie the K-50 successor). In my admittedly very limited experience, the K-3's AF is pretty good. Probably not as fast as other DSLRs, but it seems confident, decisive, and fairly quick. If Pentax doesn't migrate that tech down, what advantage is there for me in buying something like a K-S1 over, say, the (rumored new) Olympus E-PL7 or even an E-M10? Where does Pentax have an edge? Viewfinder? Price? More LEDs? I've been very happy with Pentax as a brand, and I have a stable of lenses that will eventually be looking for a new body - and maybe just that is enough to keep me around - but I'd like Pentax to be reasonably competitive, feature-wise, on a comparable price level...
I'll be convinced about MILC focus tracking when someone does a comparison test in relatively poor light. Perhaps not coincidentally, it seems most if not all of these glowing test results have been done under very good light.
08-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #610
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Can a FF camera be sold (not necessary be made) for a very low price? Yes.

Can a very cheap FF camera be a very good and versatile one? That's the question.
Just nail a full frame sensor into a plastic box and I will be fine.
08-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #611
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Just nail a full frame sensor into a plastic box and I will be fine.
B&H has cameras like that on stock for $4. If you need it weather sealed it cost twice as much.
08-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You forgot 'Full Frame' somewhere in there I think..
I thought "Full Frame" was a given, like "the sky is up", or "water is wet", or PentaxIsDoomed™.

Excuse me, I meant PentaxIsDoooooooooomed!!!!!!!™
08-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #613
Pentaxian

Though I wouldn't like to have one, it would be nice to see a full frame camera made by Pentax/Ricoh. This seems to be the trend.

However, I still like to see more affordable AW lenses for the APS-C system.
08-24-2014, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #614
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
.. Where does Pentax have an edge? Viewfinder? Price? More LEDs? I've been very happy with Pentax as a brand, and I have a stable of lenses that will eventually be looking for a new body - and maybe just that is enough to keep me around - but I'd like Pentax to be reasonably competitive, feature-wise, on a comparable price level...
Pentax is not competitive in any regard nowadays. If they had some edge, they wasted it in the last 4 years. Not their fault though. So they have worked hard to catch up with what they have lost.

So there is a reasonable precaution as to your own decision making; if you think Pentax is just about same as others now, then why you should not give Pentax an edge and consider it instead of D4S, or GH4? This all comes down not to product specs per se, but your understanding of what in the long and complicated chain of image making makes your heart tick at that moment in life. For example,

– are you so insecure that you need D4S's AF to take a shot? Or
– are you mesmerised how beautifully FA31 or DA70 Ltd captures light and micro-contrast?

For my own sake, you can take all your GH4s or D4Ss or Fujis or whatever else, for none of them has the lenses that are worth dying for. If the system has only 8 extraordinary lenses, that is the system to take a serious look at. In the history of photography there were a few of such systems, but today we have just, maybe, two. Pentax and Leica.
08-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #615
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh, uluru is in a bad day, today.
Didn't sleep well.

Doom for the whole day. You're warned.