Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #616
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax is not competitive in any regard nowadays. If they had some edge, they wasted it in the last 4 years. Not their fault though. So they have worked hard to catch up with what they have lost.

So there is a reasonable precaution as to your own decision making; if you think Pentax is just about same as others now, then why you should not give Pentax an edge and consider it instead of D4S, or GH4? This all comes down not to product specs per se, but your understanding of what in the long and complicated chain of image making makes your heart tick at that moment in life. For example,

– are you so insecure that you need D4S's AF to take a shot? Or
– are you mesmerised how beautifully FA31 or DA70 Ltd captures light and micro-contrast?

For my own sake, you can take all your GH4s or D4Ss or Fujis or whatever else, for none of them has the lenses that are worth dying for. If the system has only 8 extraordinary lenses, that is the system to take a serious look at. In the history of photography there were a few of such systems, but today we have just, maybe, two. Pentax and Leica.
I don't think that limitation to a couple serious lenses is a positive feature of the Pentax lineup.
The lenses you cite are 10+ years old - even Leica has improved lens specs more often these days. I can also tell you exactly hwat 5 lenses I am missing in the Pentax lineup that could make it a much more intereting systems.

08-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #617
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Maybe It's not actual in mainstream fashion anymore but I would like to see some camouflage textures: desert, jungle, urban camo ...
Those would actually add some function to the exterior of the camera... esp for birders and wildlife photographers in a forest camouflage scheme...

The issue would be making scheme for the lenses.. could have custom decals but that is a chore (and if that is the case, could just make a custom decal for the body too).

What also would be interesting is some kind of blending for the front element where it wouldn't reflect/shine.. stealth camera!
08-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #618
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camouflage camera? Too expensive. Would lose one every time I would put it down on grass lol
08-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #619
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO it would be better with silicone cover for camouflage, then it get a bit cheaper when you want to customize the camouflage to the environment. And the silicone add extra protection. Something like this. easyCover Silikon-Schutzh.

But my first Pentax was in camouflage (and surprisingly I still got it.)
Pentax film Point and Shoot: Pentax PC35AF camouflage (1982)

08-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #620
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a pretty ugly hybrid of Canon's name, Pentax's K mount, and Sony's buttons. Oh, and with some Christmas lights.
08-24-2014, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #621
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, uluru is in a bad day, today.
Uluru is always having a bad day, but for him that is a good thing. It is his purpose and it is not good to deny people their purpose.

Steve
08-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i do a lot of long exposures at night with my K-3. I use both the O-GPS1unit with its bright blue LED and IR remote mirror lockup with its flashing red LEDs. As soon as the shutter opens, all lights turn off for the duration of the exposure

08-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #623

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

– are you mesmerised how beautifully FA31 or DA70 Ltd captures light and micro-contrast?
For my own sake, you can take all your GH4s or D4Ss or Fujis or whatever else, for none of them has the lenses that are worth dying for. If the system has only 8 extraordinary lenses, that is the system to take a serious look at. In the history of photography there were a few of such systems, but today we have just, maybe, two. Pentax and Leica.
Uluru, which Pentax lenses are those you are talking about?
I have at least one on my list: FA 28-70 F4
08-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #624
Pentaxian

A curious beastie - I know nothing of the 20mpxl sensor though. I'm fine with the experimentation at Ricoh myself, being a bit off the normal path myself
08-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I don't think that limitation to a couple serious lenses is a positive feature of the Pentax lineup.
The lenses you cite are 10+ years old - even Leica has improved lens specs more often these days. I can also tell you exactly hwat 5 lenses I am missing in the Pentax lineup that could make it a much more intereting systems.
It is actually an interesting point to spot this half dozen of lenses that we lack and how well shared this need is across all pentax users

Mine is:
150 / 180 macro
120-300 f2.8 or other high quality zooms
I had TC in the past which has been fixed by Ricoh...
08-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #626
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Uluru is always having a bad day, but for him that is a good thing. It is his purpose and it is not good to deny people their purpose.
Can we please stop with the personal attacks? ..it isn't helping anything...
08-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #628
mee
Veteran Member

Nice find, Mistral75. I can see now a Movie mode recording icon on the On/Off switch.
08-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #629
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nice find, Mistral75. I can see now a Movie mode recording icon on the On/Off switch.
The grip's LEDs look like they're double-banked as well. I'm growing more and more intrigued by what they could possibly be used for.
08-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #630
Banned

The look of kit lenses slightly disappoints; looks like still an old screw drive song despite some snazzy new bodies.
Ricoh, I wonder, no place or no money or no interest for a better, quieter kit lens for the Pentax system? So we must drag along 30+ old tech when no other manufacturer does? And I presume, tech what others offer in kit lenses, in Pentax land that is kinda Sci-Fi, and preserved for top lenses only and at a premium price?

PS. This is a question to ask during Photokina.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.