Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #631

Nice find. I can now see a HDMI logo on the rubber cover at the side of the white body. Nice addition there.

08-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The grip's LEDs look like they're double-banked as well. I'm growing more and more intrigued by what they could possibly be used for.
I have no idea, but if they could be used as AF-assist-light-assist-lights, I could have used them today. The little green light wasn't cutting it (my fault, I really was asking too much).

Now what we NEED (y'all are going to kill me for this) is the pentaprism PENTAX logo in clear plastic with some white LEDs behind it...
08-24-2014, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #633
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax K-S1, XXL size:
The existence of such a visible gap between the body and the pentaprism intrigues me. I almost expect something to slide out of there. But it will trap dust/crud.

Also these larger images seem to have lost the green-button on the top plate that was visible in earlier pix.
08-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #634
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For those wondering about the 20mp sensor, I am nearly certain it will be the same Sony sensor used in the a58, a3000, a5000, and is a great performing sensor.

08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #635
Pentaxian

The grip's LEDs look like they're double-banked as well. I'm growing more and more intrigued by what they could possibly be used for.
Those are the red LEDs to show a video is being recorded, and the ring around the shutter button turns red when in video mode. Red=stop=video=bad, and green=go=photos=good.
08-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #636
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The existence of such a visible gap between the body and the pentaprism intrigues me. I almost expect something to slide out of there. But it will trap dust/crud....
There is no such clear cut in the K-3 design, as the body seamlessly joins with the pentaprism.
I wonder why K-S1 looks like two cameras in one? Just to stir attention?
I mean, they could do the same as with the K-3 and make body without that cut.

08-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between the green LED's and the red line on the HD Limiteds, shooting with the K-S1 will be like Christmas!

08-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #638
Pentaxian

People will certainly be smiling when the countdown timer hits zero - that could be one use!
08-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #639
mee
Veteran Member

The existence of such a visible gap between the body and the pentaprism intrigues me. I almost expect something to slide out of there. But it will trap dust/crud.

Good point.. I thought it was just poor fit / finish. However, perhaps the body slides off downwards and allows a different body with left handed controls to be attached? If it is modular that would be fantastic for lefties.
08-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought it was just poor fit / finish.
Japanese don't do poor fit and finish. Not normally.
So the plot thickens.
08-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #641
Veteran Member

Also these larger images seem to have lost the green-button on the top plate that was visible in earlier pix.
Not likely a slide-out considering the complexity and dust issues. I wouldn't be surprised though if there is a mirrorless variant based on the same basic design.

K-S1 = SLR
K-M1 = Mirrorless

???
08-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or maybe the pictures we are seeing are mockups with pieces made on 3-d printer. Particularly since they do not all agree, for example the green button seems to be missing on these latest ones.
08-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #643
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I wouldn't be surprised though if there is a mirrorless variant based on the same basic design.
Ah, you could be onto something. Maybe they could be planning to remove the pentaprism hump and retain the same lower body shape/design in mirrorless.

But some hump would still probably be needed if they planned to retain either an on-board flash or add a EVF, or both. But if they deleted both the pop-up flash and did not add an EVF - NEX-5 style, for example - it could be a mirrorless K-mount that is slimmer and lighter (and cheaper to make) than the K-01. Just put a hot-shoe on top and leave it at that.
08-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #644
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I don't think that limitation to a couple serious lenses is a positive feature of the Pentax lineup.
The lenses you cite are 10+ years old - even Leica has improved lens specs more often these days. I can also tell you exactly hwat 5 lenses I am missing in the Pentax lineup that could make it a much more intereting systems.
At the photokina 2012 the Ricoh representatives received the Lens Survey that run on this forum about what lenses we would like to be developed. So they are aware of userdemands. Sometimes you have to wait for them. Some lenses maybe are never economical to make for a small brand.

Always fun to see the interview from 2012.
08-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #645
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Did you watch the fine video I linked to before? They take an X-T1, a E-M1, an A6000, a GH4 and a D4S to a bike track. Their conclusion? The GH4 and A6000 are almost as good as any DSLR out there.
Yes I have seen that video a few times. Then you got this video
where D3300 outperforms all MILC in terms of % of photos in focus, which is different result than the video you linked. The claims from manufactures are in ideal situations which don't apply to real world usage. Everyone of them claims that they have the fastest focus speed and that is simply marketing; just like how restaurants claim that they are the #1 at something but there's nothing regulating those claims because there is no standardization. And then there's EVF lag when the light condition isn't as ideal as most of these tests. There are just so many variables to AF test that I haven't found anyone's methodology is completely satisfactory. (And btw I have played around with a few of these latest cameras so I'm not really going by these test videos just how I feel about them, so YMMV)