Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #661
Pentaxian

Indeed; it's one camera, it isn't modular but a "standard" K-mount DSLR, and it has no green button.
Perhaps the green light around the shutter button was misleading?

08-25-2014, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #662
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually it has a green button, but it is right behind the shutter release button. The angle of the photograph taken is as such it is almost invisible, but in super hi-res photo there is visible a part of the bezel around it, hidden behind the shutter release. The top of the button is at the surface level of the cassis, therefore not visible in this angle of view.

See the part of the bezel, right next to red dot on shutter release button plate.

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/produits/152/21415/K-S1_Tweed_Gray-53f46a84cf65e.jpg
08-25-2014, 04:34 AM   #663
Pentaxian

Edited: My bad, you're right - there is something just behind the shutter release button.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-25-2014 at 04:53 AM.
08-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #664

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think we can be fairly sure that the K-S1 is not modular at all. The gap between the top plate and the flash housing is simply a design choice because the top, grip and bottom plate are one single piece of plastic.
I disagree. If you look at the photo I posted before () you can see the inner camera very clearly. K-mount, view finder + flash, and the back with screen and the controls form something like a turned around U-shape in which the inner camera slides in (from the side or from the bottom). And there are all the gaps "needed" exactly in the right places

BTW, where have you seen the bottom plate except from the side and in profile? Could you post a link? Thanks

08-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #665
Pentaxian

Let's just agree to disagree. It's not plausible and actually a designer's nightmare to create a modular camera. Forget about it, the truth will be revealed in a few days anyway
08-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #666

Let's just agree to disagree. It's not plausible and actually a designer's nightmare to create a modular camera. Forget about it, the truth will be revealed in a few days anyway
Fair enough to agree that we disagree.

Concerning the design I cannot see anything implausible, though. The main problem I see is to make to parallel plains (between the front of the inner cam and the back of the K-mount). but that's not different from making parallel surfaces for a lens and a mount where they connect. Of course you need some play to be able to move the inner cam in and out. But you have play on the back side of the inner camera where there seems to be nothing but the rear of the display to match with - and precision is not needed there. Make a connection to the K-Mount side that pulls the inner cam against it and you are done.
If the cam should be modular, I think they made exactly the right parts exchangeable.

Just curious: Where do you see a lack of plausibility?
08-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #667
Veteran Member

Y'know what would be revolutionary?

Interchangeable sensor.

CMOS sensor swappable for a FF or a Q mount in the same housing.

That said, I doubt they could make the camera as small as it is if that is the case here.

08-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #668

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Y'know what would be revolutionary?

Interchangeable sensor.

CMOS sensor swappable for a FF or a Q mount in the same housing.

That said, I doubt they could make the camera as small as it is if that is the case here.
But they could make a different inner camera to slip in with more space for the battery, processor etc. Even one with a build in grip for portrait shooting.
08-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Cost & size?
08-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #670

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Cost & size?
Cost?
I guess you mean something like more than 100 US$/€ (which is within the limit of price differences of entry level cams)? Where should costs like that arise from? Certainly not from the additional "walls" of the cam or the electronic contacts needed.

Size?
The inner camera has about the size of a modern mirror less cam. Where is the problem?
08-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #671
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
It can definitely be done, but not at this size and certainly not with the required tolerances. In cheap cameras the tolerances are already higher than normal, but make the sensor removable and the tolerances will rise to unacceptable levels..
08-25-2014, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #672
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we just wait a week or two?
08-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #673

It can definitely be done, but not at this size and certainly not with the required tolerances. In cheap cameras the tolerances are already higher than normal, but make the sensor removable and the tolerances will rise to unacceptable levels..
Honestly, as described above, I cannot see any part in this concept where higher precision or smaller tolerances would be needed than between an ordinary lens and an ordinary mount of a camera. And this can be done very cheaply as we know, e.g., from kit lenses.
Maybe they even start this concept with an entry cam because of higher numbers they will sell - thus returning the R&D costs faster? And to gather experience with the approach before offering it to their high end customers.
08-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we just wait a week or two?
Because those of us who know our Tom Petty know the waiting is the hardest part...

08-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #675
Veteran Member

If the central block, containing the K mount, shutter, sensor and prism would be removable, would not be any problem with the tolerance. But is not the case, because I don't think their is enough space for the SR system in a removable block like this.

Anyway, did you know that K-S1 is allready officially announced? Yes, on this forum, on the cameras section.