Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #886
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
If a person shows up to a party with this camera, they would be the life of the party. Just imagine the 20-30 year olds with camera phones, how attractive would a Nikon D3300 look versus the Pentax K-S1? what would grab more attention? What would stir up more conversation? What better way to get the name out to the general public?! Many people don't even know that Pentax still exists! I've ran into a couple people in fact in 2010 that asked me if Pentax was still around and that their parents had a Pentax camera.

I think here that is further confirmed.. it seems most of the community here are 45+ years old and/or had a film Pentax 'back in the day.' So perhaps this is a step in the right direction to attracting the younger crowd to Pentax K mount. The K-30 was $849 for the body when it was launched and a year later half that. The only price that is steady for Pentax seems to be the flagship which they will prop up with bundles.

08-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
749US$ !!!. Not cheap at all. Way above anyone expectation. But who knows, maybe is a mistake, like the 102,800 ISO from the same text.
The K-x was priced about the same at launch in 2009, it was around $550 by Black Friday.
08-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #888
Pentaxian

"The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.

The biggest issue we have with the K-S1 is figuring out its target audience. Its design (including those LEDs) makes it stand out in the crowd, but the biggest selling points should be what's inside. The K-S1's closest competitors are the Canon SL1 (EOS 100D) and Nikon D3300, both of which have lower MSRPs (not to mention street prices) and are equally capable. An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive.
"

Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review
08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #889
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
If a person shows up to a party with this camera, they would be the life of the party. Just imagine the 20-30 year olds with camera phones, how attractive would a Nikon D3300 look versus the Pentax K-S1? what would grab more attention? What would stir up more conversation? What better way to get the name out to the general public?! Many people don't even know that Pentax still exists! I've ran into a couple people in fact in 2010 that asked me if Pentax was still around and that their parents had a Pentax camera.

P.s. If I showed the K-S1 to my wife and the K-3 and asked her to chose one to use for everyday usage, she would go with the K-S1. She had a Nikon D3100 and she rarely touched it. She always felt it was "too serious" for the photography that she wanted to do, such as taking a snap shot of our puppies sleeping in interesting positions. She won't shoot in raw and post processing means uploading it onto social media sites... I ended up getting her a Sony DSC-HX5 and she uses it daily. It's more approachable to her.
+1. Even the price is a little high for an entry level IMO, that design can attract a lot of buyers of fashionable gizmos. Especially in Asia.

08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #890
Pentaxian

I find the linked DPreview preview dismissive and unbalanced. I don't particularly care about Pentax or any brand but such blatant peddling of Canikon entry level junk (which is, to anyone who actually held it and compared to entry level Pentax, well, junk) is annoying.
08-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #891
Veteran Member

If the price drops enough, I may grab one to use as my 'everyday' camera to save wear and tear on the more advanced body I plan to get.
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #892
Veteran Member

The first video for K-S1 was boring? Yes, could be. But watch this:

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 02:22 AM ----------

And another ''boring'', but informative one:

08-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #893
Forum Member

WHAT WERE THEY SMOKING?

I hate to whine. I think it's humiliating, especially to do so in an Internet forum. But I was hopeful and the idea so promising! However, the only thing they've done is add Christmas lights to a stillborn idea, and I'm sad to say that I don't think it'll sell in big numbers. It's a heavy (almost as much as a T5i, which costs less, has better ergos, cheaper and silent lenses, etc.) and technologically stagnated product that won't win any online pissing matches, and that's what sells nowadays.

I mean, seriously, we're still using that ridiculous steel chassis!? Plus lame battery life, no AA battery compatibility, no real grip, and no weathersealing? At 558 grams!? Not even the 24 Mpix sensor of the D3300, or a more modern AF system? Not to mention a silent kit lens, or DC AW limiteds - if Nikon has sealed, affordable primes, why can't Ricoh do it?

Shame on them. What a missed chance. I really hope the K-50 successor is better but now I'm doubting it.
08-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #894
Veteran Member

All those teen cuties taking their shirts off and splashing about... with a very decent soundtrack too. I approve.

Oh, and in the last 15 seconds they show a camera.
08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #895
Veteran Member

The moment the bodies hit $450 is the moment I buy it.
08-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #896
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The moment the bodies hit $450 is the moment I buy it.
So, in about a year.
08-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #897
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So, in about a year.
Yep, should be perfect time for me.
08-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #898
Veteran Member

Pentax-Ricoh USA place this camera in the mid-level DSLR category.
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #899
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Oh, this all makes sense now. The K-S1 is a new light beer.
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #900

Here's another promo video
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
So, basically, the camera's marketed at young and rich hipsters.

Edit: wow, thread moves fast, I should have expected it. Video has already been posted, sorry.