Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #916
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than 61 pages in less than 10 day. This is bigger than the infamous ''Why I won't buy a K-3''.

So, I change my mind. In a previous post I've said that this camera will be a success. No, will be a BIG success. Futuristic, flashy, innovative, are just some on the adjective seen on different photo forums.

08-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I watched the promotional video and I'm sad. Pentax/Ricoh had better be coming out with a mid-range and/or a professional DSLR...and they'd better look like cameras and not be marketed toward kids who party all the time!
08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #918
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I watched the promotional video and I'm sad. Pentax/Ricoh had better be coming out with a mid-range and/or a professional DSLR...and they'd better look like cameras and not be marketed toward kids who party all the time!
Why are you sad? It's been known for days that the K-S1 is an entry-level type camera. Were you expecting otherwise?
08-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #919
Veteran Member

Pentax/Ricoh had better be coming out with a mid-range and/or a professional DSLR...
According to Ricoh's press release, this *is* a mid-range (and priced appropriately)... hopefully that means it co-exists with the K-50 rather than being its replacement.

08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Why are you sad? It's been known for days that the K-S1 is an entry-level type camera. Were you expecting otherwise?
I'm sad because I'm not sure what Ricoh's target market is (rich kids?). It's an entry level camera that you can have fun with...but costs $200 more than the competition and $300 more than the K-500 (which hasn't been discontinued yet). The video doesn't really do much in the way of show off the camera but for maybe ten seconds.
08-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #921
Veteran Member

Same AF system as K-30/K-50? No thanks...I mean it's fine in good light but the AF system from K-5II onward has really spoilt me for low light focusing ability.

===================================Edit=====================================================================

Oh and 1 control dial vs 2 in K-30/K-50, I think I will hang on to my K-30...

Come to think of it, I don't think I am this camera's target audience, so never mind, as long as it sells well and bring $$$$ to the Ricoh R&D department so I can have a decent upgrade in another year, I am happy.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 08-27-2014 at 06:06 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #922
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All those teen cuties taking their shirts off and splashing about... with a very decent soundtrack too. I approve.

Oh, and in the last 15 seconds they show a camera.
Hopefully none of those splashes landed squarely on the non-weather resistant K-S1.

08-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #923
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. I'm 30. (I'm wise beyond my years!)
08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #924
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Here's another promo video
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
So, basically, the camera's marketed at young and rich hipsters.

Edit: wow, thread moves fast, I should have expected it. Video has already been posted, sorry.

What a horrible promotional video. I was expecting an add for the O ring birth control...not a camera.
08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sad because I'm not sure what Ricoh's target market is (rich kids?). It's an entry level camera that you can have fun with...but costs $200 more than the competition and $300 more than the K-500 (which hasn't been discontinued yet). The video doesn't really do much in the way of show off the camera but for maybe ten seconds.
I agree, I don't like the marketing, but what do I know? I'm twice as old as those kids, lol.

I'm hoping the high price is just an "early adopter tax".

Let's see what else Pentax has in store. There's no better APS-C DSLR than the K-3, and hopefully we'll get a true K-50 replacement soon.
08-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #926
Banned

The fault is not in Ricoh, but in yourself -- you are presuming the market for this camera based on your own / and forum users biased projection.
You think it should be an entry level camera. Who ever said that?

In fact, Jim Malcolm stated in his PR that this is a mid-level offer.
You can have your K50 or k500 for $200+ less, why do you complain?

This camera is different in many regards to a traditional DSLR. It's a new level in itself, one no other manufacturer has.
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #927

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
What a horrible promotional video. I was expecting an add for the O ring birth control...not a camera.
Nah, the video is cool, so un-Pentax-like... and it's targeted at the people they want to sell this camera to. I guess they do want to renovate their base, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's also reasonably spec'd for an entry/mid-level camera.

What I'm mostly puzzled/bummed about is that the design has little to do with function (specifically handling), which was one of the strong points of Pentax so far and definitely one of the arguments that could be used to their advantage to "sell" the brand to miscreants. — "Just hold it!"
Well, not so with that sad excuse for a grip and the overwhelming size of the OK button compared to the function ones (I'm not finding it hard to believe the DPRev guys had a difficult time operating them). As for the LED bling, unnecessary, but if it appeals to the "hip", then so be it (at least it can be disabled).

I don't know, they probably got design tips from Toyota:

Threw in some upcoming seasons' flavour:

And then suddenly remembered they had to make a camera so stuck a mirror box somewhere in the middle.

That said, I hope it works for them.

Last edited by hooverfocus; 08-27-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: slightly improved sentence wording
08-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The fault is not in Ricoh, but in yourself -- you are presuming the market for this camera based on your own / and forum users biased projection.
You think it should be an entry level camera. Who ever said that?

In fact, Jim Malcolm stated in his PR that this is a mid-level offer.
You can have your K50 or k500 for $200+ less, why do you complain?

This camera is different in many regards to a traditional DSLR. It's a new level in itself, one no other manufacturer has.
Yes, because Pentax has been so successful in the marketplace.

Ricoh's opinion that the K-S1 is "mid-level" is just that - an opinion. The market will determine; I've a feeling many users will feel otherwise...
08-27-2014, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #929
Pentaxian

So I watched the video and figured out what I'm doing wrong in my photography. Apparently I have to take my shirt off to have fun with a camera. Or was that girls? I'm just old and confused...
08-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ricoh's opinion that the K-S1 is "mid-level"
The specs may say 'mid-level', but their marketing says otherwise.