Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #946
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why are you here? Why do you (DO you?) have a Pentax?
Because the k-01 is yellow

08-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #947
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A) I apologize that I came off as condescending; that wasn't my intent. I don't recall ever having claimed to be a "purist" - my main camera is the ill-received K-01. But here's a serious question: are you aware that due to the nature of the K-mount, Pentax cannot make a camera as slender as Olympus without moving to a different design? So, by necessity, Pentax cameras must have a certain amount of bulk. The most cost-effective way of reducing weight while maintaining the necessary size is to cheapen the build quality. Have you ever picked up an entry-level Canon? They feel cheap and flimsy.

. . . .
Funny that people sometimes want to throw the K-mount under the bus. However, the Nikon mount has nearly the same specs as the K-mount and is actually older. Pentax has kept some very compact dSLR bodies compared to Nikon and Canon.
08-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #948
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why are you here? Why do you (DO you?) have a Pentax?

Not snark - I want to know.
Nah, I do realize I was extremely... passionate? I have a K-30 because of an impulse buy. It was unbelievably cheap (still is) for what it is. Furthermore, I was shooting a Panasonic GX1 at the time, and I was mightily unsatisfied with it. The K-30 is a spectacular camera, especially when paired with the 18-135!

Personally, I don't need WiFi. I don't even have Facebook, or Twitter. But the the target for the K-S1, if the ad is right, DEMANDS it. I should know about it, since I returned to college last year, even though I'm older

Here, this should prove that I at least was in Iguazú. Unfortunately I can't upload the DNG's from here, and I haven't installed LR yet since my system format a month ago. Needless to say, that place was WET! By the middle of the boat ride, we were soaked, and I was the only tourist bold enough to get my cam out and still snap away.

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 11:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A) I apologize that I came off as condescending; that wasn't my intent. I don't recall ever having claimed to be a "purist" - my main camera is the ill-received K-01. But here's a serious question: are you aware that due to the nature of the K-mount, Pentax cannot make a camera as slender as Olympus without moving to a different design? So, by necessity, Pentax cameras must have a certain amount of bulk. The most cost-effective way of reducing weight while maintaining the necessary size is to cheapen the build quality. Have you ever picked up an entry-level Canon? They feel cheap and flimsy.

B) I agree with some of what you are saying. But, the Nikon DX 35mm f/1.8G only has a seal at the mount; its not a WR lens. And other than being less than 1 stop faster than the DA 35/2.4, it's very soft wide open and otherwise a comparable performer.

B#2) This is solely the K-S1 announcement, so why talk about lenses right now? Wait and see if Pentax has any lens announcements to make at Photokina.

C) I don't like the ad, but I'm not the target audience. I agree that not having a tilting touchscreen is a letdown. I've owned multiple Pentax digitals, from the K100D to my current K-01, and I have no doubt it would focus just fine in teh conditions depicted in the video; there is plenty of contrast for AF to latch on to.

TL;DR) I don't disagree, but I'm not going to make any serious judgments based on what little we've learned about it. And yes, the kit lens (IMO) is not the proper fit for this camera. I think this is now the 3rd or 4th time I'm mentioning that the DA 35/2.4 should be the kit lens, And I agree with you about Wifi.

This is a single product that Pentax is releasing. It's OK if the K-S1 doesn't appeal to you or me, more is on the way.
I'll make it short: I'm sorry I was so rude. I thought you were being more confrontational. We agree on a lot of points. I don't think Canon's DSLRs are especially flimsy, but Pentax's are better indeed. I just wish they'd have made the K-S1 either lighter or WR, because as it stands now, it's the worst of both worlds (solid but not rugged, small but heavy).

I don't need the f/1.8, especially when the Nikon isn't really sharper. But how difficult or expensive can it be to put a seal at the lens mount? Seriously, I'm willing to pay $50 for it, along with HD coatings
Attached Images

08-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #949
Site Supporter

Interesting, Ricoh seems to know what they are doing:

Plugged-In Over Preppy: Teenagers Favor Tech Over Clothes

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/business/less-prep-more-plugs-teenagers-fa...er=rss&emc=rss

08-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #950
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Funny that people sometimes want to throw the K-mount under the bus. However, the Nikon mount has nearly the same specs as the K-mount and is actually older. Pentax has kept some very compact dSLR bodies compared to Nikon and Canon.
I don't think I'm throwing K-mount under the bus, simply pointing out that keeping K-mount means keeping the (relative) bulk. Fortunately, Pentax has some lovely small lenses...
08-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #951
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Much older. 1959 vs 1975...
08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #952
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
More than 61 pages in less than 10 day. This is bigger than the infamous ''Why I won't buy a K-3''.
ho ho.. but not bigger than the future infamous 'Why I won't buy a K-S1' thread.

08-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #953
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
ho ho.. but not bigger than the future infamous 'Why I won't buy a K-S1' thread.
I thought this was that thread...

Guess who already has the K-S1 in their database:

Compact Camera Meter
08-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #954
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

Compact Camera Meter
I doubt you mean me but nonetheless, I haven't discarded the possibility of owning one, once the price hits ~$400...
08-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just realized there are a lot more young 20 somethings that like to have a good time in the pool than there are professional photographers in the world. Maybe Ricoh already knows that....................
08-27-2014, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #956
Veteran Member

DC Watch Impress magazine in Japan has now had a look at the K-S1:

SLR Notify Glowing [Google Translate]

Interesting tid-bits: "For design and color, and it has received the supervision of design consultants ziba tokyo", so they went with a JP design team this time. [URL: http://www.ziba-tokyo.com ]

Plus there are lens rings available to disguise the perhaps mis-matching colour of the hood mount section of the kit lens:

"It should be noted that the kit lens DA L18-55mm F3.5-5.6AL of this time, ring to hide the hood mounting portion of the tip is included. "Lens front ring O-FR52 Set" (three colors black, white, metallic gray set)"
08-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #957
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I just realized there are a lot more young 20 somethings that like to have a good time in the pool than there are professional photographers in the world. Maybe Ricoh already knows that....................
......... then why isn't the K-S1 water-resistant?
08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #958
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

Compact Camera Meter
They were quick to get that in there...but will they ever add another Pentax lens??? DA 35, DA 40 DA 50, all DA Ltds besides the 35, etc are all missing.
08-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #959
ogl
Banned

If Ricoh will show only K-S1 at Photokina it would be sad...
08-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #960
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If Ricoh will show only K-S1 at Photokina it would be sad...
K-S1, 645Z, is that not more then expected from such a small player?