Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #991
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think I'm throwing K-mount under the bus, simply pointing out that keeping K-mount means keeping the (relative) bulk. Fortunately, Pentax has some lovely small lenses...
Yes and indirectly pointing out that Nikon is keeping even more bulk. Not sure what Canon's excuse is.

sarcasm

08-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #992
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
You made it clear long ago that you don't like the camera.
Yes, I don't warm to it. We'll see how it sells though.

Here is the final thoughts on the K-S1 from Dpreview:
'Final Thoughts
While the somewhat bizarre LEDs on the K-S1's front grip will likely garner the most attention, under the hood it seems like a quite capable DSLR. On the spec side, you get a 20MP APS-C CMOS sensor, a selectable AA filter, built-in image stabilization, and a max ISO of 102,400. It's also capable of shooting continuously at 5.4 fps. And, as usual, it's packed with nearly every feature imaginable.

The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.

The biggest issue we have with the K-S1 is figuring out its target audience. Its design (including those LEDs) makes it stand out in the crowd, but the biggest selling points should be what's inside. The K-S1's closest competitors are the Canon SL1 (EOS 100D) and Nikon D3300, both of which have lower MSRPs (not to mention street prices) and are equally capable. An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive.'

It is obviously a preview and their opinion could change with more time.
08-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #993
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dont like :

What ? No 24MP , what the flying dutchman ?
And whats with the LED lights , is the supplied battery so large Ricoh has decided there is power to spare for Bling ?
I hope there is a option in the menu to disable such BLING !
08-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

personally, I think it is overpriced. By a third.

08-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #995
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Yes, I don't warm to it. We'll see how it sells though.

Here is the final thoughts on the K-S1 from Dpreview:
'Final Thoughts
While the somewhat bizarre LEDs on the K-S1's front grip will likely garner the most attention, under the hood it seems like a quite capable DSLR. On the spec side, you get a 20MP APS-C CMOS sensor, a selectable AA filter, built-in image stabilization, and a max ISO of 102,400. It's also capable of shooting continuously at 5.4 fps. And, as usual, it's packed with nearly every feature imaginable.

The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.

The biggest issue we have with the K-S1 is figuring out its target audience. Its design (including those LEDs) makes it stand out in the crowd, but the biggest selling points should be what's inside. The K-S1's closest competitors are the Canon SL1 (EOS 100D) and Nikon D3300, both of which have lower MSRPs (not to mention street prices) and are equally capable. An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive.'

It is obviously a preview and their opinion could change with more time.
Since when DPR has any sort of objectivity ?
08-28-2014, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #996
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The power consumption of LEDs is negligible. Ever use one of those LED flashlights that can stay on for days on a single AA battery? I'd be surprised if they drew even enough to reduce the life of the battery one shot per charge cycle.

Also, it is already confirmed the lights can be turned off (per the Ricoh USA video seen yesterday).

Well, the flash eats a lot more. It can be deactivated and nobody yells at the flash being there. Ah, humans...
08-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #997
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I doubt that this will be the only news from Ricoh at Photokina. Let's remember that two new lenses are on the road maps. and is still time for another camera leaks and announcement. Hopefully FF....

FF? I think we never see Ricoh FF.

08-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #998
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah all I am doing is sharing one of the few sites who so far have an opinion on it. This is just a single preview and without corroboration from multiple sites any thoughts at this stage from dpreview should be taken with this in mind.

Charlie
08-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #999
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
FF? I think we never see Ricoh FF.
We'll see. But in any case, I prefer a Q + APS + 645 Pentax/Ricoh than a dead FF Pentax.
Of course since we know nothing internal, we're just guessing but this is the place isn't it ?
08-28-2014, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #1000
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Makes me wonder why there was so much angst over DPR taking forever to put out their K-3 review. Frankly, I like their reviews because they tell us what it is they don't like about a camera. That's relevant info of the type other reviewers often shy away from.
08-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #1001
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Makes me wonder why there was so much angst over DPR taking forever to put out their K-3 review. Frankly, I like their reviews because they tell us what it is they don't like about a camera. That's relevant info of the type other reviewers often shy away from.

My problem with their reviews is more with tone of their elaboration than in positive or negative traits they list. So where in another review they state "model X has these drawbacks, but it is a great camera (i.e. we recommend it)" for Pentax it goes something like "model Y is a very good camera, but we found all these drawbacks (i.e. we don't recommend it)". This is of course my feeling which may or may not be shared by other people.
08-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #1002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I generally appreciate their reviews, and I like their laboratory test shot comparison tool, but I must say that based on the quality of the sample field shots they attach to most reviews, I find their lack of actual photographic ability to be more than a little bit disconcerting.
Agreed, this is somehow strange. All in all, I valued Phil Askeys reviews very high, but now they are owned by Amazon and have hired staff that might be enthusiastic gearheads and maybe decent photographers. The good thing are/were, that all cameras photographed the same targets, so differences where easy to recognise. But nowadays the differences are minute, more dependent on RAW-processing. Thus they try to quantify cameras with other "values " which seldom overlaps with mine.
08-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #1003
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Agreed, this is somehow strange. All in all, I valued Phil Askeys reviews very high, but now they are owned by Amazon and have hired staff that might be enthusiastic gearheads and maybe decent photographers. The good thing are/were, that all cameras photographed the same targets, so differences where easy to recognise. But nowadays the differences are minute, more dependent on RAW-processing. Thus they try to quantify cameras with other "values " which seldom overlaps with mine.
Their reviews have this being positive (big + IMO) is the detailed menu / buttons / interface review. That's the beauty of their reviews.
Anything where subjectivity arrives and it sinks down very quickly.

The K-S1 coming from Canon would have been a breakthrough. It is funny.... almost.
Then people cry (stupidly IMO even if they are right) and the guy said "since you're really annoying about that revew not coming I'll postpone it again. Take this". Yep Askey did this with a Pentax. That guy is a real pro.
08-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #1004
Veteran Member

If this is mid-range, I'd like to know:
  • How many shots can you bracket?
  • Did the sophisticated multi-exposure capabilites of the K-3 make it into this one?
Just wondering...
08-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #1005
Veteran Member

I was wondering why they needed not just 1 but 5 blingy LEDs of for the countdown timer.

until i had a quick look at the video presentation.posted a few pages back by Asahiflex.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270673-pentax-k-s1-65.html#post2922237 @ 3:25

It turns out that when (if) you are running face detection mode, the number of LED's lit up corresponds to the number of faces detected. WOW

Cool little gimmick but i cant help thinking that a 180degree flip out LCD would be a bit better for group selfie enthusiasts.