Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #1006
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Cool little gimmick but i cant help thinking that a 180degree flip out LCD would be a bit better for group selfie enthusiasts.
That's debatable: for a group of five people they would need to be relatively far from the camera, making the screen difficult to see, especially in sunlight. That said, I'm wondering how useful the LEDs would be for that purpose in practice.

08-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #1007
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
B) Pentax as a system has (right now) precious few advantages left, and in an extremely competitive and declining market, other players are starting to encroach upon those as well. Ricoh needs to start upping their game NOW, not for Photokina 2016 or whatever. They either have to provide silent AF, or better zooms, or a truly full range of WR lenses. Even better, all of the above. It's not acceptable to sell a DA 35mm f/2.4 at ~$170 anymore, not when the sealed DX 35mm f/1.8G sells for less than $200, and has pretty much all of the attributes that would make it killer on a Pentax body. There's also no WR wide angle zoom alternative, or WR limiteds. This is, in my view, long-term suicide, should it continue.
Ricoh is soooo fortunate to have such astute and capable market/business analysts as are active here on Pentax Forums.

Pentax is dooooommmmeddd!!!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
are you aware that due to the nature of the K-mount, Pentax cannot make a camera as slender as Olympus without moving to a different design?
The same is true for Nikon F, Canon EF, and all other mounts that were originally designed for 35mm film SLR cameras. The mirror box defines the minimum depth of the body.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
......... then why isn't the K-S1 water-resistant?
For the same reason why the iPhone is not water resistant...

Thing about it.

Steve
08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #1008
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like a fine camera to me. Nice specs. Good size -- very little advantage of mirrorless over it, particularly when factoring in lens size. Price probably is a little on the high side and I would expect that to come down with a little time.

Obviously folks who don't mind an SLR size will gravitate to a K50, which is an amazing deal right now, but folks who want something a little different, don't want to compromise on specs and want a smaller format factor will probably want this. However, I don't imagine many 50 year old men will buy them.
08-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #1009
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The same is true for Nikon F, Canon EF, and all other mounts that were originally designed for 35mm film SLR cameras. The mirror box defines the minimum depth of the body.

I wasn't really comparing them, just pointing out why Pentax couldn't be as svelte as Oly, since that's what Kharan mentioned.

QuoteQuote:
That was just a light-hearted jibe on my part...

08-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #1010
Pentaxian

Good to know I will not have very many of you lining up to borrow mine.
08-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #1011
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Yeah all I am doing is sharing one of the few sites who so far have an opinion on it. This is just a single preview and without corroboration from multiple sites any thoughts at this stage from dpreview should be taken with this in mind.

Charlie
Remember this. DPR was never objective, and always, always tries to present Pentax as little, and as unfavorable as possible. The Pentax K-3 review was presented at more than 6 month after the camera hit the market, while other cameras reviews are presented in less than a month.
08-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #1012
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ricoh is soooo fortunate to have such astute and capable market/business analysts as are active here on Pentax Forums.

Pentax is dooooommmmeddd!!!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:01 AM ----------

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

Thing about it.

Steve
Okay, enough with taking things out of context. I don't want a new mount, I never said I wanted a slender camera - just a lighter or sealed one. C'mon people, it's not that hard to imagine a K-S1 with either attribute being much more competitive right at launch.

Also, I said it's suicide in the long run. I don't care for Pentax is doomed, but do you really think that things are fantastic right now in Pentax's lineup? That everything is close to being as good as it could be? I don't claim to be an enlightened master of market analysis, but even I realize that the product WILL NOT sell to the target audience because it lacks basic features among that crowd, like internal WiFi (seriously, it needs Instagram and Facebook integration), a touchscreen, and WR (that Ricoh actually decides to fully honor and support).

Oh, and BTW - the iPhone isn't, but you can shower with the new Samsung Galaxy. One is "your parent's boring phone" and the other is trendy. Guess which one is which?

08-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #1013
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Good to know I will not have very many of you lining up to borrow mine.
Hey Jim, can I borrow your K-S1?
08-28-2014, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #1014
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
like internal WiFi (seriously, it needs Instagram and Facebook integration), a touchscreen, and WR (that Ricoh actually decides to fully honor and support).
  1. From what I hear the target market has moved on from Instagram nd Facebook (fastest growing demo in both is women over 54)
  2. From what I hear the target market has moved on from touchscreen for photos since a fingertip is about as precise as a bludgeon
  3. WR - is that a real 'Want' or just something WE think THEY want
Really - are you a member of the target group (I freely admit I am not).

The way I view this, nearly every single objection I have heard is from Western people who don't see the things they want in a new camera, but purport to speak for other people and the camera not having the things they think other people will want in the camera.

I'll bet this camera is made for Asia, which (I think) is the principle Ricoh consumer market.
08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #1015
Veteran Member

Who is the target market? The target demographic?

I think it's tough to convince 25-35 year old people to purchase a camera... when they already have on on their phone.
08-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #1016
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

I think it's tough to convince 25-35 year old people to purchase a camera... when they already have on on their phone.
So cameras are doomed?
08-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #1017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

If the video is any indication, their target market seems to be the 18-24 category. And yes, it will be supremely difficult to market a real camera to that age group.
08-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #1018
Pentaxian

Monochrome hits home again. Pentaxi often say "go hold one and you will choose a Pentax" then condemn a cam none of us have held, based on pics of LEDs and a DPR micro preview? Ouch. Heck we haven't heard the shutter yet, I fear the backlash when that hits utube. :-\
08-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #1019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
So cameras are doomed?
No, of course not. But Pentax, on the other hand, is indeed dooooooommmmed!!!!!
08-28-2014, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1020
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
So cameras are doomed?