08-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #1021
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

I laughed.

08-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #1022
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the K-S1 will allow manual flash output from the built-in flash. Anyone know? I wouldn't mind one in a funky color, if there was better flash control, since I'll use it with my collection of old primes.
08-28-2014, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #1023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
So cameras are doomed?
Who is the target market? The target demographic?

I think it's tough to convince 25-35 year old people to purchase a camera... when they already have on on their phone.
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
If the video is any indication, their target market seems to be the 18-24 category. And yes, it will be supremely difficult to market a real camera to that age group.

I can shed some light on the target demographic. I'm 28 years old myself, and have many friends between the ages of 20-29....

Being someone who's already owned a Canon Rebel XS, Pentax K-30, and now a Pentax K-5ii, I can say that the K-S1 doesn't appeal to me as a primary DSLR body, as I love the K-5ii even though it has more features than I really need, and if I felt compelled to have a camera less advanced, i'd go back to a K-30. Personally I loved the look and feel of the K-30. The balance between build quality, size, weight, WR, performance and price, it's an absolute no brainer to consider one.

I'm probably not considered the target audience of this camera, but I do have friends that are younger than I think Might become interested in this, at a lower price point. I think most people in general don't even know Pentax exists, especially those in their 20's. Since I became a Pentaxian, I have not encountered another person in my life who even knew who Pentax was.

Most of the people I know buy Canon and Nikon because that's all they know. When I encounter a friend who purchased a Canon T3i for $600-800, I tell them about Pentax and how for less money they could get a K-50 that's weather sealed and show them that it actually takes better pictures than a T3i.

Most people are intrigued by the idea of Pentax, but they simply already own a Canikon and don't want to go through the hassle of selling their gear, losing money and then buying a Pentax.

Having said that, I think a lot of people I know in their twenties would consider buying a Pentax if they wanted a DSLR and didn't already own one, especially if they can get one cheaper than a Canikon.

Parents are especially excited about Pentax when I talk about how some of them are WR. When they realize they could take a K-50 out into the rain, out in the snow when their kids are playing, to the beach and not have to worry about destroying it, they get excited about the idea of it.

Having said all that, this is just MY opinion based on observations and encounters i've had with people I know. I do believe the K-S1 Could appeal to them, but not for $749, especially when it's not WR and not when you could pick up a gently used K-30 for under $350.
08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #1024

I think it's tough to convince 25-35 year old people to purchase a camera... when they already have on on their phone.
That really seems to be a jump to a conclusion. Are you saying people in that age group are not interested ins DSLRs? I know quite a few who are.

08-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #1025
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I bought my first DSLR (Kx) when I was 33, and when I go to conventions I see plenty of people in that age range with them. Unfortunately most are using the cheapest Canon or Nikon (I'd say it is a 70% Canon, 29% Nikon, 1% all others) they can get at the store. I see plenty in the 18-25 group doing that too, generally with student loan money. There is demand, but Pentax needs to get into some big box retailers.
08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #1026
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Target market sounds like marketing BS to me. I've just received an email from Ricoh headed "Coordinate your summer wardrobe with the PENTAX Q-S1". I'm a 59-year-old guy. Does that make it likely I'm in the right demographic for this missive? They have my DOB and sex on their DB as well as my address and registered products, after all. So not much targeting there, I reckon I don't doubt the K-S1 is primarily intended for Asia and Japan but I'm still left with the feeling that Ricoh's imaging arm is more of a marketing operation run amok than something with a viable long-term strategy. I really really don't now want emails asking me to color code my socks with the Pentax K-S1. It's the kind of thing which would put me straight off my breakfast. What a long, long way we are from something called photography and the notion of "I love photography and this camera is just made for me." Need to get back to that, for folks of any age, imho. The notion that you'll buy a camera just because it's sky-blue and not because you value it as a good camera is pretty insulting whether someone is 16 or 66, I think.

Last edited by mecrox; 08-28-2014 at 10:07 AM.
08-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #1027
Site Supporter

Looks great. The features look good. I am not so sure I like the mode dial change. I do not like the lack of weather sealing. That will make it hard to sell to a friend who was considering a K-50 just because it was sealed.

08-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #1028
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Hey Jim, can I borrow your K-S1?
Once they invent the firmware and actually start shipping in a month, we can talk about it...
08-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #1029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll bet this camera is made for Asia, which (I think) is the principle Ricoh consumer market.
That was one issue I had with the "shirtless" video - none of those happy young people using their K-S1 looked Japanese.

That, and the fact that it actually appeared to be an advertisement for a Pentax camera. Now I have to believe in unicorns...
08-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #1030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I am intrigued by what Ricoh is trying to do with the KS-1, the target market would likely respond to internal WiFi and a flip screen more than AA filter simulator? I may pick up a body in 1 year once the price hits $400 as it may be a great backpacking camera since it is so small and light. Also, I can't wait to find out how the 20 MP sensor performs. The one trend I like with the KS-1 is getting the body smaller. While Pentax has had small DSLRs in the past (ist D, Kx), the size has been creeping up with each new model.

Dale
08-28-2014, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #1031
Veteran Member

1. From what I hear the target market has moved on from Instagram nd Facebook (fastest growing demo in both is women over 54)
  2. From what I hear the target market has moved on from touchscreen for photos since a fingertip is about as precise as a bludgeon
  3. WR - is that a real 'Want' or just something WE think THEY want
Really - are you a member of the target group (I freely admit I am not).

The way I view this, nearly every single objection I have heard is from Western people who don't see the things they want in a new camera, but purport to speak for other people and the camera not having the things they think other people will want in the camera.

I'll bet this camera is made for Asia, which (I think) is the principle Ricoh consumer market.
From what I can observe, that target market has not moved on from shopping at Best Buy which is precisely where you can't find a Pentax camera. I could better understand what Ricoh is doing here had they coincidentally announced a marketing agreement with a retailer that caters to the target market for this camera. What's the point of appealing to 20-somethings if they can't find your camera in the places where they're buying their cameras?
08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #1032
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Good to know I will not have very many of you lining up to borrow mine.
You can drop by and show it to me when you get it, me being just down the road and all...

Steve
08-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #1033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Now I have to believe in unicorns...
Unicorns are food.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
While I am intrigued by what Ricoh is trying to do with the KS-1, the target market would likely respond to internal WiFi and a flip screen more than AA filter simulator?
Bingo!

You win the jackpot for having the absolute correct answer. Why Pentax is ignoring these two, unstoppable trends is bizarre. I will not update my system until I see these.
08-28-2014, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #1034
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
I don't care for Pentax is doomed, but do you really think that things are fantastic right now in Pentax's lineup?
I dunno...my K-3 still has its new camera smell and I shot for seven years before that with a K10D. My lens needs are well-covered (fancy that). I am not shopping.

Would I buy a K-S1 if I were in the market? Hell no! I have huge hands and think the K-50 is a far better value. Will the camera sell well? As noted many times on this thread, there is a wide variance in taste world wide. The camera is a nicely-spec'd and over-priced upgrade over the K-500.

Is there something dreadfully wrong with the Pentax lineup? If you ignore the lack of a FF camera and a larger-format mirrorless, the lineup is pretty good. Add in the projected 70-200/2.8 and things look better. With stronger marketing things might look better, but what do I know. I am not looking to buy anything.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 10:45 AM ----------

Yep, I am not clear why it is being released in the Americas or Europe.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
And yes, it will be supremely difficult to market a real camera to that age group.
There is a significant number of members of this site that fall into the "under 30yrs" age group and even quite a few that are still in high school.

Steve
08-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #1035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
From what I can observe, that target market has not moved on from shopping at Best Buy which is precisely where you can't find a Pentax camera. I could better understand what Ricoh is doing here had they coincidentally announced a marketing agreement with a retailer that caters to the target market for this camera. What's the point of appealing to 20-somethings if they can't find your camera in the places where they're buying their cameras?
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, I am not clear why it is being released in the Americas or Europe.

Steve
I have been intensely contrary the last few days - i fully admit it - because this feels just like the pre-release phase of the K-01 and I think we helped kill an imperfect but decent camera before it even was released. I hope that doesn't happen again.

However, one of my very first reactions (I can't even find the post now) was something along the lines of, "Nice camera. I think they'll sell a lot of them in Asia. Not so sure about the US unless they get them in Target, Costco and BestBuy - and what's the chance of that if they don't support the sell-through with advertising?"

Frankly if I were Ricoh I would punt 'Americas' altogether and come back later, like Fiat has - maybe after buying another company and cannibalizing their distribution agreements.

There's a small part of me that wants to know the USA share of FF cameras in the global total - if it is comparatively significantly larger than APSc then we know why Pentax doesn't have a FF.