Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #1066
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Based on that commercial, Ricoh/Pentax is marketing a piece of technology to a demographic that is accustomed to a touchscreen interface. For Ricoh/Pentax to not include one is pretty damn stupid, IMO.
Because I certainly want a camera that changes its settings when my nose hits the screen while I'm using the viewfinder.

08-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #1067
mee
Veteran Member

I think few would notice/care if the AA simulator were removed.

If the K-S1 is indeed intended to penetrate a new market, to gain mindshare for Pentax/Ricoh, then maximizing profits on a per-unit basis may not necessarily be the best way to go, long-term.

Based on that commercial, Ricoh/Pentax is marketing a piece of technology to a demographic that is accustomed to a touchscreen interface. For Ricoh/Pentax to not include one is pretty damn stupid, IMO.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

Or perhaps the owner will say, eff you, Pentax, I'm replacing it with something else.
Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a WR Pentax camera instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a WR something else instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a non sealed something else instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and just use their smart phone.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because I certainly want a camera that changes its settings when my nose hits the screen while I'm using the viewfinder.

Exactly. Slap that puppy on AUTO and fire away.
08-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #1068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Right, because there's no way you can turn off a touchscreen interface if you elect not to use it...
08-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #1069
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Remember this. DPR was never objective, and always, always tries to present Pentax as little, and as unfavorable as possible. The Pentax K-3 review was presented at more than 6 month after the camera hit the market, while other cameras reviews are presented in less than a month.
They gave it their gold award...

08-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #1070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a WR Pentax camera instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a WR something else instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and buy a non sealed something else instead.

Or perhaps they will say, I liked the camera shame it got damaged by water and just use their smart phone.

So... you're just throwing anything out there, instead of thinking logically about it? OK.
08-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #1071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would seriously consider this camera when the price drops a bit. I really like the bright blue and also the orange color. I suspect this camera will sway some of the PF Critics when folks get their hands on it. I remember holding the K-01 for the first time... I loved it (but the pictures of the camera didn't make me love it). I think the majority of the controls being located on the back makes sense. Face it, you spend most of your time looking at the back of a DSLR because of the screen, so why not place the main controls there.

(Regarding the LED's: not a big deal, and folks, you can turn that feature off.)

Take a second look at the main article with the picture of the available colors. The black/grey/white spectrum well is covered, the brown tones covered, the bright blue and orange stand out and the denim blue and purple get lost. I would think a red or green hue would be nice and drop some of the grey/black.

Overall I think this is a nice camera. Coming from a K-x, the sensor in this camera would be a huge jump.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 08-28-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
08-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #1072
mee
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]
So... you're just throwing anything out there, instead of thinking logically about it? OK.

Well... Those are all logical conclusions. Not everyone is going to react in the same manner so it is impossible to say what the end result will be until we see what the end result will be. Besides, I think you're taking this forum a bit too seriously.

08-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #1073
Inactive Account

if this camera is after first time users then why max out on spec e.g the viewfinder and metal build? Surely it'd be better to sacrifice that so as to bring the price down and make it compete properly in the entry level price bracket. Or do quite a few first timers go for the mid range camera instead?
08-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #1074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading the announcement and looking at the pictures, I've realized this is pretty much the polar opposite of what I want in a new system camera. It's like Pentax could somehow read my mind and make an exactly contrary design decision on every point. I guess the press release explained it, saying they're going for a "new generation" with the K-S1. Thus, the rest of us old hairy-legged guys who learned to shoot on manual film SLRs can just forget about Pentax and go buy a new Fujifilm X-T1 instead.
08-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #1075
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do wonder about the rumored expanded ISO 104,800 I heard mentioned in the past could days on this.
08-28-2014, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #1076
Veteran Member

The DAL lens seriously detracts from this camera

Pentax should have taken the opportunity to release a modern stylish new DC-driven 18-55 lens with this camera. The clean compact look of the camera is fatally compromised by showing these old black DAL lenses "grafted" on the camera.

These promotional images with the black un-stylish DAL on the multi-coloured bodies are a serious marketing misstep in my opinion.

What I like:
  • The clean, compactness of the camera body.
  • The fact that I can use focus peaking with my compact manual prime lenses (something I can't do on my K-5II).
  • It's a K-mount camera with DNG RAW, SR and a bright OVF.

What I don't like:

• The price.
  • No tilt and swivel screen.
  • No inbuilt Wi-Fi.
  • No WR.

What I am indifferent about:

• Those LEDs!
  • The lack of a LCD touch-screen (but I suspect this is another marketing misstep given the camera's target market).
  • All those colours.
  • 20 Mp (16 Mp is fine for me).

Last edited by Gray; 08-28-2014 at 05:54 PM.
08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #1077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So maybe the idea is to intentionally not be a cellphone interface.
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
if this camera is after first time users then why max out on spec e.g the viewfinder and metal build? Surely it'd be better to sacrifice that so as to bring the price down and make it compete properly in the entry level price bracket. Or do quite a few first timers go for the mid range camera instead?
But then this entire Forum would complain it doesn't have Pentax DNA. We don't want happy crappy plastic cameras - we already have a Canikon and Pentax will never going to beat them at their own game. We need to be different, better, the value isn't in the price it is in the premium features at a good price for better features.

We can argue all day about the feature mix Ricoh chose for this camera but they're apparently not willing to compete at that price point. I simply do not believe Ricoh would refuse to include something so simple to implement as a hinged LCD and WiFi if it really mattered.
08-28-2014, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #1078
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Some will notice and appreciate a large bright optical viewfinder after viewing the dim tunnels of competitors.
08-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #1079
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Some will notice and appreciate a large bright optical viewfinder after viewing the dim tunnels of competitors.
I certainly hope so - I have a pentamirror I must confess (pentax kr ) is the difference that noticeable?
08-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #1080
Pentaxian

The camera should come with the 40mm pancake