Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #1096
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
a collapsible zoom in an interchangeable mount?
The Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS in E-mount springs to mind.
I think Panasonic also has one for M4/3 too.

08-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #1097
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
I certainly hope so - I have a pentamirror I must confess (pentax kr ) is the difference that noticeable?
Night and day. Really.
I seldom use my wife's K100D and if I can do without 2 wheels, the VF s always annoying to get used to.
Small and dark. Like first gens EVF
08-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #1098
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who will see LED lights during face detection mode if the photographer cover the grip by hand?

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 11:55 PM ----------

AA simulator and LED lights in rather questionable body are too less for new camera.

K-50 costs 447 USD for body. If it's upgrade of K-50, why it's weaker and too expensive.
If it's low-end camera, why it's too expensive?

Where is K-50's replacement?

Last edited by ogl; 08-29-2014 at 12:24 AM.
08-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #1099
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who will see LED lights during face detection mode if the photographer cover the grip by hand?
I think the idea is that everyone's in front of the camera and it is set on a flat surface or a tripod. What puzzles me is that you'd probably be using the timer at that time, so is it showing the countdown or the number of faces detected? Perhaps if it's in face detection mode, the five lights show the number of faces and they all blink to indicate the timer is active.

About the collapsible zoom, there are several on the market, but mostly for mirrorless cameras. The 06 telephoto zoom for the Q is collapsible, by the way. The kit lens that comes with the Nikon D3300 is the only DSLR lens I am aware of.

08-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #1100
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think the idea is that everyone's in front of the camera and it is set on a flat surface or a tripod. What puzzles me is that you'd probably be using the timer at that time, so is it showing the countdown or the number of faces detected? Perhaps if it's in face detection mode, the five lights show the number of faces and they all blink to indicate the timer is active.
Where is logic?
LCD light shows either number of faces or timer work. Right?

If there are 4 people in front of camera , it shows 4 lights. If - one, it shows ONE. if six, one will be out of focus. ))

I don't see any sense in such feature. Is it for Papuan tribal people?
08-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #1101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So maybe the idea is to intentionally not be a cellphone interface.But then this entire Forum would complain it doesn't have Pentax DNA. We don't want happy crappy plastic cameras - we already have a Canikon and Pentax will never going to beat them at their own game. We need to be different, better, the value isn't in the price it is in the premium features at a good price for better features.
But that's the trick - first, complain that it isn't just like Canon, Fuji, whatever. Then, if by any chance Pentax would launch a "just like" product, complain that it's copying Canon, Fuji, whatever and it lost the "Pentax DNA".
The product doesn't matter. LEDs doesn't matter. Design doesn't matter. It's all about complaining. And, yeah, those priceless "I'm jumping ship because of this" posts when the person saying it didn't had any intention of buying in the first place.

So now we're complaining about a design which actually looks fine (ignoring the grip LEDs), IMHO it's miles away from the plastic blob Canons. We're complaining about having the best APS-C viewfinder. We're disappointed that it doesn't write "Ricoh" on the back of the camera, to complain about that, too.
08-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #1102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Has anyone ever made a collapsible zoom in an interchangeable mount? There are some decent examples on non-interchangeable lens cameras like the RX100 series. I think it would be a great fit as a kit lens for the K-S1 if it could be done.
They abound in the mirrorless world. Nikon 1, Samsung, the others mentioned.

I would be all for a collapsible kit lens, if possible. Use in-camera distortion correction for jpegs. The fact that no one beyond Nikon (correct me if I'm wrong) has one for DSLRs tells me that it's either technically difficult or just not worth pursuing in a no-frills lens. The Nikon, btw, shaves a little over a centimeter in length. So, noticeable but not dramatic.

08-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #1103
Forum Member

Anyone here who speaks japanese and can translate?
08-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #1104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Where is logic?
LCD light shows either number of faces or timer work. Right?

If there are 4 people in front of camera , it shows 4 lights. If - one, it shows ONE. if six, one will be out of focus. ))

I don't see any sense in such feature. Is it for Papuan tribal people?
Well, if you use the camera with an ounce of logic (using those LEDs) it would be like this:
* you don't look at the screen from the back because the LEDs would be useless, but somehow I think LEDs on the back would have been stupid since theres a screen. Right?
* you use the camera to make a selfie or something approaching which means: wide angle, CDAF with face recognition and to help you frame, the LEDs (up to 5... I think there are 5 LEDs) will let you know how many faces there are.
* Which means you can correct the framing even thouth there's no articulated screen.

Or like this:
* you put the cam on tripod for a group shot, set up the timer, get with the others (of course you already checked the framing, huh..)
* you can see the LEDS counting to 5 before the shutter is fired and this is actually far more precise than the single red LED accelerating but you never know if it has stopped accelerating or not.

This is not hard to understand, is it ? Nope.
Is that necessary for any of us? Nope.
It can be disabled? Yes.
Should we bitch about it even though none of us will buy this cam? No.
Should we be happy because Ricoh tries to get its user base larger? Yes.
08-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #1105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lage Quote
PENTAX K-S1 Movie_jp - YouTube
Anyone here who speaks japanese and can translate?
This was posted earlier in the thread, there's an English version.
08-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #1106
Forum Member

No need, there was an english version too...
08-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #1107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
They gave it their gold award...
In time you will see, if you will follow their activity, as I did.
08-29-2014, 01:12 AM   #1108

No very important things for new users:
1. Wi-Fi
2. Touch screen
3. Tilted LCD
4. Weather sealing
5. New DC motor kit.
Good. I don't want any of these things. In fact I don't want live view either, but I suppose these days you can't avoid it. Having the mode selector on the back is a good move, since for the most part one will set it and forget it. In fact that need not even be a dial that you rotate by hand, you could have a row of LEDs to indicate the modes and cycle through them using a button.

That this camera appears to be irritating a number of foolish posters here can only be a good thing.
08-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #1109
Banned

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 11:55 PM ----------

AA simulator and LED lights in rather questionable body are too less for new camera.

K-50 costs 447 USD for body. If it's upgrade of K-50, why it's weaker and too expensive.
If it's low-end camera, why it's too expensive?

Where is K-50's replacement?

CP+ in februari?
08-29-2014, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #1110
Veteran Member

That's a pretty nice video, regardless.