Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #1141
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really do think we will see the innards of this camera in a WR body soon.

08-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #1142
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I really do think we will see the innards of this camera in a WR body soon.
I also think that since the specs of the K-S1 are really great.
08-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #1143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
What pentax needs is a pancake zoom like the Samsung 20-50 kit lens. That covers an APS-C sized sensor with a relatively large registration distance (for Mirrorless), People want zooms but don't want the bulk. I personally would like Pentax can leverage its know-how of pancake optics to create a very nice compact zoom lens. Imagine a DA 16-35mm WR pancake zoom about the size of the old FA 24-50mm ...I would buy that for lightweight traveling even though I have several lenses already in that range.
The size of the Pentax-F 35-70mm would be cool! I wonder if they could do a 2.5x zoom in that size, and with AF that fast.

Also, see my thread asking for something similar in the DSLR Lens forum: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/271534-what...ow-pentax.html
08-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #1144
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I also think that since the specs of the K-S1 are really great.
Yeah. That could make a killer mid level camera. WR, same specs, a more traditional DSLR look, and marketed to the outdoor crowd.

08-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #1145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yeah. That could make a killer mid level camera. WR, same specs, a more traditional DSLR look, and marketed to the outdoor crowd.
Maybe they will shove it in the K-50 body and make the current K-50 the entry level. Because they still need an entry level, low cost camera I think. (assuming K50 and K500 will be discontinued soon)
08-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #1146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The size of the Pentax-F 35-70mm would be cool! I wonder if they could do a 2.5x zoom in that size, and with AF that fast.

Also, see my thread asking for something similar in the DSLR Lens forum: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/271534-what...ow-pentax.html
The F 35-70 was the lens that came to my mind when I saw your thread last night.
08-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #1147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- The K-S1 is not meant to be the successor to any model. It is a new and unique model.
Well there you go.

08-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #1148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having just received my official Ricoh email announcing the Pentax K-S1 I have to say it looks good in white and some of the other colours as long as the kit lens complements it.

It has good lines and is compact.

The dedicated video switch and the lack of an articulating rear LCD is contradictory and poor design and marketing choices. Hocking added cost wi-fi via the Flu Card while the other brands have integrated it is also a serious error.

Can't comment on the control options. If too stiff and confusing then they need a re-think there as well.

The price is far too high for what it is.

More fails than successes.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 08-29-2014 at 09:34 AM.
08-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #1149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
No touchscreen, no native wifi, big K-mount lens with noisy autofocus. The problem with the K-S1 is that it's not going to appeal to its intended market: mobile-interface shooters. There've been only two devices that have resonated with this market in the past decade: the iPhone and the GoPro camera. Pentax and the rest of the traditional camera industry still don't have a clue about how to reach these people and I have to wonder what Pentax's next crack at mirrorless will look like. I just have to shake my head.
+1. I actually like this camera. If I didn't already own a k-01 and mx-1, I would certainly consider this as a replacement for my oldy-but goody K100DS.

But I agree that its features do not match the stated target audience. The only folks in the target audience who wants DSLRS and are willing to pay $700 are people already into photography (most of which are retro hipster types who want something along the lines of Fuji's offerings). I just don't get how you are going to convince a social-media, techny millennial to pay 700 for something without wifi or a touchscreen.

I am no marketing guru, but it seems that the target audience would much prefer a iphone-ish looking device with a lens on the front that is set up so they can take pictures of their food and drunken selfies with simulated cross-processing and then immediately upload via a touch screen--not that I would like such a device....
08-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #1150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
Can you really reach a person that is content with an iPhone anyway? Would you waste resources and money trying to do that?

When I was young many people would buy disposable cameras, and not simply for a particular trip--they would also use them as their main camera! Maybe we were the iPhone people of the day--not having any inclination to spend money on a better camera. Today, I appreciate good cameras and the art of photography--and I don't use an iPhone to take my pictures.
Funny, whenever I pull out my DSLR people say , "Oh, you have a camera that takes good pictures".
08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #1151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The NX2000 with its 3.7" touchscreen was a bust apparently, so Samsung got rid of it for the NX3000.

So a touchscreen might be overrated.

The swivel screen, however, might be more important, but it would not allow the camera to be as small. So it was a design decision.

That's the camera Ricoh came up with, for the market they are trying to reach. If this makes you sell your K-3, I think that's a reflection on you and not on Ricoh/Pentax.
I think that makes two red herring's in a row if I include your prior post.

1) People here are scratching their heads over missing features they perceive the target market segment wants, not necessarily what they want.
2) I've yet to see anyone say they are going to sell their K-3 because of this camera. I'm certainly not selling mine.
08-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #1152
Veteran Member

They had a chance to make a good selling camera. All they had to do was add WS, Adjustable LCD,
08-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #1153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think that makes two red herring's in a row if I include your prior post.

1) People here are scratching their heads over missing features they perceive the target market segment wants, not necessarily what they want.
2) I've yet to see anyone say they are going to sell their K-3 because of this camera. I'm certainly not selling mine.
Ok so I exaggerated a bit, but it's not a total red herring. Look at this guy who wants to trade his K-30 setup with ANYONE because he doesn't like the Q-S1 and K-S1: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/271568-k-s1-japanes...ml#post2923485

Also, I'm pretty sure Ricoh didn't leave off the swivel screen because they forgot about it. It was a design decision to make a compact camera. And the people who don't want a compact camera complain about the fact that Ricoh made it compact. How is that justified?

I think Mahatma Gandhi would say something like, "I like your Pentax, but I don't like your Pentaxians..."
08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #1154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS in E-mount springs to mind.
I think Panasonic also has one for M4/3 too.
Yup on both. Neither is an optical workhorse. Of course the smaller sony e-mounts + the collapsible zoom can kill the IQ of some smaller sensor, comparable-bulk cameras. I've thought about getting a $500 A5000 or whatever it's called as a 'point and shoot'.
08-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #1155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Collapsible lenses can and do have alignment issues. They are not a panacea to the issue of camera size. That's why they have been mostly relegated to P&S cameras with smaller sensors. Collapsible lenses were also a big factor in the development of the APS film effort.

The K-S1 has some really good features and some features bordering on unusable like the controls (according the the DP Review pre-review sort of review). It has omissions like articulating rear LCD and no built-in wi-fi. The rest of the specs look competitive except the price. Ugh!