Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #1246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

I rest my selfie.
John, you have really good selfie aim. I almost always cut someone's head in half. DSLR or smartphone, doesn't matter.

This thread has been educational for me, though. I forgot my smartphone has a back front camera. But it is pretty lousy.

08-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #1247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
John, you have really good selfie aim. I almost always cut someone's head in half. DSLR or smartphone, doesn't matter.
Correction, I have really good selfie editing LOL!
08-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #1248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Shelf space? What % of DSLR sales are at a physical retailer? What % of beginner DSLR sales are at a physical retailer? What % of beginner DSLR sales to whoever this-target-market-is are at a physical retailer?
Call it virtual shelf space if you wish. Even if the retailer is online only they still have to invest in inventory and everything I said, except possibly employee training still applies. Personally I think quite a few first time, and many other users still buy their cameras at a retail store. This forum continues to have blinders on, not everyone is so confident of their personal knowledge that they feel comfortable buying online unseen. My dad recently wanted a new camera. Did he ask me what to buy? No. Did he jump onto Amazon and read the reviews? No. He went to Best Buy and had the sales droid pick him out a cheap canon rebel something or other.

The whole camera universe is NOT a bunch of old dudes on a camera forum pining away for film and totally manual cameras. We are DINOSAURS, and certainly not the whole market or even a reasonable portion of it. Many, many other people want and buy cameras and many still buy them at retail stores because they want someone to tell them what to buy. And even if someone does buy a camera on line, they are far more likely to choose a brand they recognize and have seen in a retail store. Maybe even picked up and handled in that store.
08-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #1249
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Selfies? Attract cell phone users? How is this possible when people who are used to taking selfies and want to upgrade from their phones will not be able to take selfies easily enough with this camera, as it does not have a swivel and tilt out LCD. If that is Pentax/Ricoh's intention, they've failed. Also, if they are used to instantly posting their pics to social media, which was accesible with the press of a button on their phones, they cannot do it with this camera, as there is no wi-fi.

Flip out LCDs and Wi-Fi have become standard for years on non-pro cameras in this price range, so excluding that is a huge mistake. The first rule of selling, especially for a hurting brand, is not to eliminate customers. Well, they've just done this.

Does anyone know if they finally have HDMI out on this camera, as they've excluded on so many previous bodies?
In my experience most selfies/wefies are taken without looking at the screen, the fun part is looking at the pic afterwards how it turned out. Most selfies/wefies are taken in dark environments with direct flash. Relatively few selfies are uploaded directly compared to the vast amount taken.

08-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #1250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This one from my shelf was made in 1975 and I believe it qualifies:

My KX film SLR (same year) is larger in every dimension than the Zorki and heavier too. The Zorki was made for export to the West and would have sold (with Jupiter-8 50/2) for $50 USD or less in 1975. The KX, however, has strap lugs. How arcane!

Steve
Gorgeous. What is the lens?
08-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #1251
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Hadn't seen this picture until now.
Mix of different styles.

---------- Post added 08-30-2014 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
That dusk gold color scheme paired with the 20-40 limited makes the K-S1 look a lot better. Maybe Pentax really should have updated the 18-55 kit lens with the release of this camera.
Looks awful
08-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #1252
Veteran Member

I wonder how the smile recognition works on pets. Cats, and dogs. Not that she's a dog, that supermodel you just convinced to pose for the hot new camera launch. Woof. Ron Hendriks is going to go wild with this one.

08-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #1253
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

wrong design

is the new Pentax k-s1 made by pic's making people?????

led light's in the front!!!! how stupid

you compose your pic in front of the camera looking to the led light's?

Pentax is forgotten how to make simple camera's
08-31-2014, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #1254
Pentaxian

Yes, yes, LEDs are stupid, the blinking red self timer light was stupid as well, remote controls are stupid and Pentax is DOOMED™.
Adam, please rename this place to PentaxIsDOOMED™forums.com.
08-31-2014, 02:32 AM   #1255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
you compose your pic in front of the camera looking to the led light's?
I don't want to burst your bubble, but that is similar to how most selfies/wefies are taken today.
08-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #1256
Banned

They should build in a small camera-module that is like those smartphones in the back of the camera for selfies. Not to fancie, just like 8 megapixel or so. How expensive can that be?
08-31-2014, 03:02 AM   #1257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They should build in a small camera-module that is like those smartphones in the back of the camera for selfies. Not to fancie, just like 8 megapixel or so. How expensive can that be?
Or they could of just given us the tilty swively screen.
08-31-2014, 03:06 AM   #1258
Veteran Member

Or people could stop taking stupid selfies!
08-31-2014, 03:16 AM   #1259
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Not any time soon.......Selfies will stay with us for the next decade.
08-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #1260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well, that basically erases the "hey, I bought a big camera with a lot of megapixels to make us look like models, lets point the big lens at us!". Youth today express individuality and persona through tech, like it or not it's a fact. The K-S1 is made to stand out, it's made to look fun to use and it's made to make you the center of the party. There is a reason that sneaky street shooters are a diminishing category of photographers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It gives people joy and who are we to deny them happiness?