Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #1261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess we'll see if it sells. My feeling is that there will be more people interested in this, than if Pentax came out with a full frame camera. While folks on the forum are interested in better image quality than they currently have (APS-C) and their lenses "working the way they are supposed to," most of the world is interested in better image quality than they have currently (cell phone camera), ease of use, and could care less about legacy lenses and how a 50mm "is supposed to look."

I imagine the kx was the best selling Pentax camera of the digital age because (1) it was small, (2) it was cheap, and (3) it came in colors. And plenty of people like the colors, even though folks on the forum had to fight nausea when they even thought about it.

08-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #1262
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, yes, LEDs are stupid, the blinking red self timer light was stupid as well, remote controls are stupid and Pentax is DOOMED™.
Adam, please rename this place to PentaxIsDOOMED™forums.com.
Do you really think it's smart moves? Hmmm...

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 05:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess we'll see if it sells. My feeling is that there will be more people interested in this, than if Pentax came out with a full frame camera. .
We are not founders of Ricoh to think how it sells.

I contact with young people very often. They are more clever and advanced than a lot users of this forum think.
For example, they buy lenses for iPhone - fisheyes. And they don't care about DSLR anymore.
And they really live in Internet environment.
Touchscreen and Wi-Fi are the part of life already.
As for K-S1.. It's really OLD school. LCD lights is not serious. It's funny.

Young people have interest to DSLR, but VERY weak now. The peak of popularity of DSLR is gone several years ago.
The cameras which they use - entry-level Canon and Nikon DSLRs and Sony.
Mirrorless Sony, of course. But vast majority uses smartphones.

K-S1 reminds me the movie - Fear and Trembling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_and_Trembling_(film)

Last edited by ogl; 08-31-2014 at 05:29 AM.
08-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #1263
Pentaxian

The grip LEDs are slightly tacky, but they're more functional than the usual self timer lamp. So... do you think it's stupid? Do you think a method of verifying face detection AF from a distance is stupid?
08-31-2014, 05:22 AM   #1264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not any time soon.......Selfies will stay with us for the next decade.
People will still be taking selfies when we've abandoned photographs and are taking 3D holograms instead.

08-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #1265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Or people could stop taking stupid selfies!
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
People will still be taking selfies when we've abandoned photographs and are taking 3D holograms instead.
Let's just forget it is a camera altogether. All we care about is the selfie features (or lack of selfie features)

Apparently Ricoh has. It IS the K-Selfie1 (and Q-Selfie1) after all.
08-31-2014, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #1266
ogl
Banned

Dear friends, please, understand me. To say honest, I'm indifferent to K-S1 as photocamera in reality.

I know that Ricoh has outstanding cameras - K-5IIs, K-50, GR, K-3 and 645Z...
I don't like the direction of thoughts in K-S1. And it's all.

If Ricoh offer GRII, K-1 FF or anything really cool as photo tool.... let K-S1 be like new K-01. Strange sample of designer's thought.
I hope.
08-31-2014, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well,

I have been on the road since this was announced and have been scanning the pages of this thread reading various comments. I have looked at the specs etc and have come to the conclusion that I like this camera. Is it perfect - no. But I like it.

My least used Pentax camera is my PZ 1p. I purchased it new in 1998 and probably haven't run 5 rolls of film through it. It simply is way to complex and doesn't help me take better photographs. At the same time I got it I also purchased a Pentax ZX-5n. Absolutely love it. It became my primary film camera after my two Ricoh XRM's wore out. I have no need for 15 modes on a camera. I still have no idea what Hyper Mode is/was and have no desire to learn about it. It may be that since my first SLR was a Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL I don't see the need for anything other than a spot and averaging meter on a camera. As cameras became more automated the quality of my images went down for awhile because it was too tempting to simply push the button without thinking through the process of what I was trying to accomplish. I still do this on occasion.

I work for what is left of Kodak and have spent the last couple of decades evaluating image quality more than anything else. Because of this, when I see a new image I look at technical quality before image content. This camera would allow the technical quality of my images to go up and I like that. I really don't care if it has blinkig LED's or not. Can it help me take a better photograph? If it can, then I am all for it,

08-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #1268
Veteran Member

I was only kidding about making selfies illegal... Heck, I've even been known to take a couple myself (though with a DSLR, rather than a phone). Self portraits have been with us longer than photography, and long may they remain.
08-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #1269
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's not a joke. People were using non-swivel LCD cameras (phone cameras included) to take selfies for ages. Solutions were implemented to make it easier, e.g. mirrors and lousy front cameras (lousy cameras for lousy selfies, that's just right); Pentax have LEDs.
The idea that people considers lousy front cameras good enough, but require a live view image for precise composition (which, for cameras, means twisting the LCD each and every time) is... intriguing. Perhaps the only thing they care is to have their faces in the image? Perhaps they would like to just point the cameras to themselves and shoot?
Any selfie expert around here which can explain?
People have accepted the lousy, front facing selfies, so it's going to be hard to get them to step up to a camera where selfies have to be done with a tripod and cable release. It's not going to happen. They won't trade their phones in for this, especially at this price, and especially considering the one way they could have continued their selfie sharing would have been a swivel LCD with Wi-Fi, which this body does not have.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A cellphone is simply a better tool for a selfie.
You're answering to my side of this argument, and I'm not sure you even realize it. With the cell phone being the easier tool, it's a harder sell for that crowd who will no longer be able to take easy selfies.

I personally hate the distortion you get when using your front facing phone or iPad camera.
08-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #1270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
You're answering to my side of this argument, and I'm not sure you even realize it.

With the cell phone being the easier tool, it's a harder sell for that crowd who will no longer be able to take easy selfies. I personally hate the distortion you get when using your front facing phone or iPad camera.
Actually, I do realize it and I reject the argument that this camera should be for selfies. That is something made up here - or by Ricoh USA.

This is a very good mid-range camera with a 100% coverage .95x optical viewfinder. It is built for people who take pictures from the rear of a camera, not the front. Using this for selfies would just be stupid. Adding features that you'd use for selfies would be a waste of cost in a competitive price point. Substituting selfie features for useful features (say the 100% OVF or the metal frame) would change the character of the camera.

Hinged LCD is for : Tripods, low angle or uncomfortable positions and some waist-level.
WiFi is for: - I'm not sure what beyond remote control and maybe production tethering, but certainly not Instagram (and there is an OEM and a third-party optional accessory for those who want to link their camera to a mobile device). There is a far more efficient technology already available for file transfer - take the card out; insert it in your computer USB or card slot.
LED's are for: the same thing a flashing red countdown timer is for. Just a different emulation of the same feature.

I'll concede there are legitimate, photographic uses for a hinged LCD. If it is justified on a 645Z it is justified on every dSLR Pentax makes, but not for selfies. There is no other real, useful reason to add the other features to a Pentax camera. Pentax made a business decision to implement a different solution to the need. If we don't like their decision, we know what to do.
08-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #1271
Banned

Actually, I do realize it and I reject the argument that this camera should be for selfies. That is something made up here - or by Ricoh USA.

The other way around. Ricoh should make a camera that serves the selfie crowd a little bit better to get them back into the serious camera life. When 90 % of you images are selfies and little crowds of friends for facebook and all those other sites, then it should stand out in that point.
08-31-2014, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #1272
Veteran Member

WiFi is for: - I'm not sure what beyond remote control and maybe production tethering, but certainly not Instagram (and there is an OEM and a third-party optional accessory for those who want to link their camera to a mobile device). There is a far more efficient technology already available for file transfer - take the card out; insert it in your computer USB or card slot.
How many people use take the card out of their phone, transfer their picture to their computer, and upload it to the internet?

Even though I would never use it, Pentax should have a 'publish' button on the camera. And wifi. That's the level of ease people are expecting.
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #1273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How many people use take the card out of their phone, transfer their picture to their computer, and upload it to the internet?

Even though I would never use it, Pentax should have a 'publish' button on the camera. And wifi. That's the level of ease people are expecting.
Ho many phones DON'T have an embedded web browser? How many phones DON'T have an EMEI number and are part of a Cell Phone Plan? How many phones DON'T have apps downloaded from the Internet over 4G or Starbucks Wi-Fi.

How many dSLR's DO have an embedded web browser? How many dSLR's DO have an EMEI number and can join a cellular network - that's what's required to make a 'Publish' button work. Facebook and Twitter and Instagram exist on the Internet.

A SmartPhone is a perfect snapshot and selfie device. That's why they've destroyed the compact INDUSTRY in just 5 years. A camera doesn't have a direct link to the cell network and doesn't have Android or iOSx (when that was tried it didn't work) and it doesn't have apps embedded.

If you HAVE to open a K-S1 jpeg in Instagram and do all that foofaraw to make a cute post - fine - use a FluCard or Eye-Fi to transfer the image. Your device can access the internet over Starbucks' WiFi or your parents' 4G Family Talk Plan

If you want remote control or tablet image view - fine - get a FluCard.

But don't make me pay for the kiddies' obsession unless there is a legitimate use for a wireless connection to a device that DOES have an EMEI number.
08-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #1274
ogl
Banned

WiFi is for: There is a far more efficient technology already available for file transfer - take the card out; insert it in your computer USB or card slot..
Dear friend, do you really live in 2014?
08-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #1275
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How many phones DON't have an EMEI number and are part of a Cell Phone Plan? How many phones DON'T have apps downloaded from the Internet over 4G or Starbucks Wi-Fi.

A SmartPhone is a perfect snapshot and selfie device. That's why they've destroyed the compact INDUSTRY in just 5 years. A camera doesn't have a direct link to the cell network and doesn't have Android or iOSx (when that was tried it didn't work) and it doesn't have apps embedded.

If you HAVE to open a K-S1 jpeg in Instagram and do all that foofaraw to make a cute post - fine - use a FluCard or Eye-Fi to transfer the image. If you want remote control or tablet image view - fine - get a FluCard.

But don't make me pay for the kiddies' obsession unless there is a legitimate use for a wireless connection to a device that DOES have an EMEI number.
I agree but at the same time, a lot of people here think the same about Video and the reply thay get is 'what the heck if that makes the damn thing sell like hot cakes'.
Some don't even agree about the on board flash. I for one, I'm happy to have that stupid flash to trigger another one.
This is the same kind of things. I don't give a *hit about it but if it sells cams, well... I'll disable wifi and that's it.