Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #1276
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How many phones DON't have an EMEI number and are part of a Cell Phone Plan? How many phones DON'T have apps downloaded from the Internet over 4G or Starbucks Wi-Fi.

A SmartPhone is a perfect snapshot and selfie device. That's why they've destroyed the compact INDUSTRY in just 5 years. A camera doesn't have a direct link to the cell network and doesn't have Android or iOSx (when that was tried it didn't work) and it doesn't have apps embedded.

If you HAVE to open a K-S1 jpeg in Instagram and do all that foofaraw to make a cute post - fine - use a FluCard or Eye-Fi to transfer the image. If you want remote control or tablet image view - fine - get a FluCard.

But don't make me pay for the kiddies' obsession unless there is a legitimate use for a wireless connection to a device that DOES have an EMEI number.
What are you talking about? Do you really think that camera needs Android, Windows Phone or iOSx to go to internet or to send photos to PC or to smartphone?

Man, have a look at Samsung NX1000 For example.
Samsung NX1000 review | Digital slrs/hybrids Reviews | TechRadar

Or at OLD P&S cameras - Samsung ST1000.

A lot of Canon cameras have Wi-Fi.
EOS70D, 6D, Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II, Canon PowerShot S120, Canon PowerShot G16 and e.t.c

Last edited by ogl; 08-31-2014 at 01:17 PM.
08-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #1277

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Then they added a lot of useful features like SR, weather sealing, an extra control dial, pentaprism viewfinder.
In what sense do you mean "added a pentaprism"? All Pentaxes I've owned since 1970 have had a pentaprism.
08-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #1278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
In what sense do you mean "added a pentaprism"? All Pentaxes I've owned since 1970 have had a pentaprism.
Many of the lower end AF SLRs and DSLRs had a pentamirror rather than a pentaprism. The K-r is the last Pentax DSLR to have a pentamirror.

For example. The *ist had a pentaxmirror, but the *istD had a pentaprism. The *istDS had a pentaprism, but the *istDL had a pentamirror.

The K1xxD, and K200D had pentamirrors, but the K10D & K20D had pentaprisms.

The K-m (K2000), K-x, & K-r had pentamirrors, but when the K-30 came out Pentax announced that all future Pentax DSLRs would have 100% coverage pentaprisms. All of the low to medium end Canikons have pentamirrors.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-31-2014 at 01:42 PM.
08-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #1279
Veteran Member

How many phones DON'T have an EMEI number and are part of a Cell Phone Plan?
Probably more than there are Pentax DSLR's sold. Let's expand the definition of phones to tablets+phones and now we're talking 1000's of times the number of Pentax DSLR's sold.

How many phones DON'T have apps downloaded from the Internet over 4G or Starbucks Wi-Fi.

How many dSLR's DO have an embedded web browser? How many dSLR's DO have an EMEI number and can join a cellular network - that's what's required to make a 'Publish' button work.
No, it isn't. Wifi. Wifi. Wifi. They need wifi and a 'publish' button. No 'embedded' web browser required. How many phones have an 'embedded' web browser? I thought they were all software, myself.

QuoteQuote:
Facebook and Twitter and Instagram exist on the Internet.
Which is why a facebook DSLR should have wifi.

QuoteQuote:
But don't make me pay for the kiddies' obsession unless there is a legitimate use for a wireless connection to a device that DOES have an EMEI number.
The kiddies outnumber you, and you should want THEM to pay for your DSLR obsession.

08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #1280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cut it out.

You know you can't Publish without a Browser. You have to access a device that has a browser whether you do it on Stabucks' WiFi or your linked phone or a tablet, with or without an EMEI. All you can do is transfer iamges to another device - that has a web browser.

A FluCard of Eye-Fi is just as good as embedded Wi-Fi.

Good Grief - a FluCard OPERATES in a WEB BROWSER.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The kiddies outnumber you, and you should want THEM to pay for your DSLR obsession.
They already have a perfect internet-connected photo device for the uses they presently seem to want.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
No, it isn't. Wifi. Wifi. Wifi. They need wifi and a 'publish' button. No 'embedded' web browser required. How many phones have an 'embedded' web browser? I thought they were all software, myself.
Actually, all the SmartPhones. And tablets.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2014 at 01:48 PM.
08-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #1281

Actually, I do realize it and I reject the argument that this camera should be for selfies. That is something made up here - or by Ricoh USA.

This is a very good mid-range camera with a 100% coverage .95x optical viewfinder. It is built for people who take pictures from the rear of a camera, not the front. Using this for selfies would just be stupid. Adding features that you'd use for selfies would be a waste of cost in a competitive price point. Substituting selfie features for useful features (say the 100% OVF or the metal frame) would change the character of the camera.

Hinged LCD is for : Tripods, low angle or uncomfortable positions and some waist-level.
WiFi is for: - I'm not sure what beyond remote control and maybe production tethering, but certainly not Instagram (and there is an OEM and a third-party optional accessory for those who want to link their camera to a mobile device). There is a far more efficient technology already available for file transfer - take the card out; insert it in your computer USB or card slot.
LED's are for: the same thing a flashing red countdown timer is for. Just a different emulation of the same feature.

I'll concede there are legitimate, photographic uses for a hinged LCD. If it is justified on a 645Z it is justified on every dSLR Pentax makes, but not for selfies. There is no other real, useful reason to add the other features to a Pentax camera. Pentax made a business decision to implement a different solution to the need. If we don't like their decision, we know what to do.
My word - a sensible post, how unusual.

If people want to take selfies or post to social media, they can use a smartphone and live with the low image quality. These are ephemeral images, after all. If I want to take decent pictures to keep, then I don't need a hinged LCD or Wi-Fi. In fact, I don't need live view either, as I'm looking through the viewfinder to frame and focus. And I want an optical viewfinder, so I can focus properly (or see what the camera thinks it's focussing on). Neither do I need a touchscreen, which is going to be really useful on a cold day when I have my gloves on.

What I want is a camera that is relatively simple to use, and which is light.
08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #1282
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
The k-s1 uses the pentaprism from the k3 (which is bigger than those found in the k-5/k-50/k-500). So it is an improvement in that regard.

Compare that to Nikon, and both the D3300 (entry) and D5300 (mid) use pentamirror, with the D7100 (enthusiast) being the cheapest Nikon to use a pentaprism (with .94x magnification, vs .95x found on the k-3/k-s1).

On the canon front, you'll need a 60D to get a pentaprism (95% coverage vs 100% on pentax), and you can only get into the 98% coverage on the 70D, 100% on the 7D.

The K-S1 has a damn fine viewfinder (only bettered by the canon 7D, and full frame)

08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #1283
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Gorgeous. What is the lens?
KMZ Jupiter-8 50/2 in M39 (LTM)

Steve
08-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #1284

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
The k-s1 uses the pentaprism from the k3 (which is bigger than those found in the k-5/k-50/k-500). So it is an improvement in that regard.
Thanks.

QuoteQuote:
The K-S1 has a damn fine viewfinder (only bettered by the canon 7D, and full frame)
Does anyone know what information is available in the viewfinder?
08-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #1285
Pentaxian

Cut it out.

You know you can't Publish without a Browser. You have to access a device that has a browser whether you do it on Stabucks' WiFi or your linked phone or a tablet, with or without an EMEI. All you can do is transfer iamges to another device - that has a web browser.

A FluCard of Eye-Fi is just as good as embedded Wi-Fi.

Good Grief - a FluCard OPERATES in a WEB BROWSER.

They already have a perfect internet-connected photo device for the uses they presently seem to want.
Actually, all the SmartPhones. And tablets.
I don't have the camera any more, but my old Samsung published direct to Facebook (with a rudimentary ability to punch in text), and it most certainly did not have a browser on it.

That said, it was a royal PIA to set up and was only usable with non-passworded public WiFi (or at home, in which case using the USB cord or taking the card out was tremendously faster), which rendered the whole system fairly useless.
08-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #1286
Veteran Member

Cut it out.

You know you can't Publish without a Browser.
I know I can. I have matlab email me when it's done with data. No browser req'd.
08-31-2014, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #1287
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I don't have the camera any more, but my old Samsung published direct to Facebook (with a rudimentary ability to punch in text), and it most certainly did not have a browser on it.

That said, it was a royal PIA to set up and was only usable with non-passworded public WiFi (or at home, in which case using the USB cord or taking the card out was tremendously faster), which rendered the whole system fairly useless.
My Samsung NX20 comes in most handy during family events. If I'm in my yard and take a good photo that a family member wants, I instantly email them right away, so they are not coming after me weeks later because I forgot to send them pics. No need to go inside, leave the family, and disappear for several minutes while I pull out memory cards and upload first. When I'm over someone else's house, they just give me their wifi password and I can send it immediately without having to use their computer or wait until I get home.

Cameras shouldn't take backward steps when better advancements have already been available and utilized.

I'm still wondering if this has HDMI out. Anyone know?
08-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #1288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
My Samsung NX20 comes in most handy during family events. If I'm in my yard and take a good photo that a family member wants, I instantly email them right away, so they are not coming after me weeks later because I forgot to send them pics. No need to go inside, leave the family, and disappear for several minutes while I pull out memory cards and upload first. When I'm over someone else's house, they just give me their wifi password and I can send it immediately without having to use their computer or wait until I get home.

Cameras shouldn't take backward steps when better advancements have already been available and utilized.

I'm still wondering if this has HDMI out. Anyone know?
I recall someone mentioning seeing the HDMI logo on the grip of the camera. Whether true or not I'm notsure, but it could be worth pixelpeeping the photos to it to check.
08-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #1289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And it's doubtful it would work anymore. Facebook has a tendency to change their APIs.
08-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #1290
Veteran Member

I recall someone mentioning seeing the HDMI logo on the grip of the camera. Whether true or not I'm notsure, but it could be worth pixelpeeping the photos to it to check.