Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #1351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
The main point of this thread is that it's not necessarily fugly to it's supposed target audience.

At least I think that's the main point. It's hard to tell.
Fuglingly, indeed

09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1352
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
The main point of this thread is that it's not necessarily fugly to it's supposed target audience.

At least I think that's the main point. It's hard to tell.
I will be very surprised if they sell more than 1K of them. That design there's just no way around it. People will either love it or they will hate it, and I'm betting that most of them will hate it. Gut feeling, could be wrong, but I don't think so. I just don't think it will sell much if at all. If it does I will be amazed...
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #1353
Pentaxian

And we're making sure people will hate the design even before seeing it, right?
Did you had a look at the image I posted? The K-S1 is a piece of art in comparison to the competition's ugly blobs.

P.S. They will sell around 200,000 and 300,000 units, I'd say. Hoping it won't sell because one doesn't agree with the design is... well, I talked about that on another thread.
09-02-2014, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #1354
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that in comparison to the Canon, the K-S1 looks very good - and that blue color isn't really the best one for it. I'd love to see a comparison with the white one.

But I thought I was the only one who thought so. I think it will do alright.

09-02-2014, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1355
Pentaxian

And that's how you damage a brand; if all that's heard is "the K-S1 is ugly" - which is a highly subjective piece of opinion - people will be afraid to admit they think it actually isn't at all ugly, but ITO it looks quite fine. And newcomers will be scared away by the thought of buying a camera which they like, but it's rejected even by Pentaxians.

On the other forum, threads like "I'm beginning to love the K-S1" are starting to appear. It's not much, but you can be sure we're not the only ones to think so.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-02-2014 at 10:42 AM.
09-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #1356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And we're making sure people will hate the design even before seeing it, right?
Did you had a look at the image I posted? The K-S1 is a piece of art in comparison to the competition's ugly blobs.

P.S. They will sell around 200,000 and 300,000 units, I'd say. Hoping it won't sell because one doesn't agree with the design is... well, I talked about that on another thread.
I don't recall reading any post where someone stated they are "hoping it won't sell". More important, what makes one person's opinion of how it looks more plausible than someone else's? Personally, I kind of like how it looks (except those LEDs which fortunately can be turned off) but as I've also stated, I don't think Ricoh is hitting the right feature set and price point for what we think is the intended market.
09-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #1357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm not a huge fan of the K-50. It's okay, pretty standard looks really, but I'd still go for a K-50 before I went for this one. Not because the K-50 is a better camera because of course it isn't, not with all these new specs, but because I wouldn't want to be seen with THE THING. What is the sense of making a great new camera if it's so FUGLY that only a few people maybe will buy it?
Such narrow-minded commentary. I guess you've never tried anything new in life, and then waited a bit to see how things turn out?

09-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #1358
Pentaxian

IchabodCrane:
On the last page. And yeah, it's not "hoping" but "there's just no way around it"... if that matters
A highly subjective piece of opinion is just that; one can simply state he/she doesn't like the design (even finding it ugly), but claims that they won't sell 1000 pcs, or that Pentax can't "get they sh*t straight", that you will leave Pentax because of it, and that it's the ugliest camera ever made? That's way beyond stating a highly subjective piece of opinion, this is going way too far.

And just to give an example of what I think it's a suitable expressed opinion:
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I don't think Ricoh is hitting the right feature set and price point for what we think is the intended market.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-02-2014 at 11:01 AM.
09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #1359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I don't recall reading any post where someone stated they are "hoping it won't sell". More important, what makes one person's opinion of how it looks more plausible than someone else's? Personally, I kind of like how it looks (except those LEDs which fortunately can be turned off) but as I've also stated, I don't think Ricoh is hitting the right feature set and price point for what we think is the intended market.
IMO, it's best to create an opinion on the looks after it's seen how the design impacts the usability and performance.
09-02-2014, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope we all have the - well I was going to write slang for male appendages, but I'll just say courage - to come back to these threads in a year and 'own' our posts.
09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1361
Veteran Member

I think it will look 'fresh' enough to attract some people. The biggest problem in the US is that almost no one will see it.
09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I will be very surprised if they sell more than 1K of them. That design there's just no way around it. People will either love it or they will hate it, and I'm betting that most of them will hate it. Gut feeling, could be wrong, but I don't think so. I just don't think it will sell much if at all. If it does I will be amazed...
I'm not going to pretend I know about marketing, sales, etc., but 1,000 sales worldwide? That's such a minuscule number. Do you really think a company like Ricoh would design, build and market something that might only sell 1,000 copies? It's not for me either, but come on...

Last edited by DennisH; 09-02-2014 at 11:16 AM.
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #1363
Pentaxian

The initial monthly production is 20,000 units (source: Ricoh Imaging Japan). But what do they know about making cameras...
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #1364
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The ultimate weapon for selfies (inter alia):

Sony ILCE-QX1: E mount, Wi-Fi, NFC, works with your smartphone or tablet.

(don't shoot! )
Very interesting idea, very interesting indeed.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I suspect that the target market for the K-S1 is people who actually use and appreciate smart phones and tablets.
Yep...you nailed it.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:22 AM ----------

"FUGLY"... this image, posted on DPReview, is quite relevant for the subject:
The point is very well made, well made indeed

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Such narrow-minded commentary. I guess you've never tried anything new in life, and then waited a bit to see how things turn out?
She just bought her K-30 (red metallic), does that count?

Steve
09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #1365
Veteran Member

"FUGLY"... this image, posted on DPReview, is quite relevant for the subject:
What most people on this forum (and other forums) don't realize is that to most people, the camera on the left is ugly.

To most of the world, "falling in love" with a blobby black camera is akin to falling in love with a wrench. Or a pair of pliers.